1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Alan David NYC Tailor

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by eothdl, Apr 5, 2007.

1. eothdl

eothdl Member

Hello,

Has anyone ever bought a suit from Alan David, a tailor in NYC on 40th between 5th and Madison? Any comments on the quality, service, price, delivery time?

I have an appointment to be measured for my first custom suit there next Wednesday. This is my first suit ever. At least, my first suit that is not a hand-me-down. I've been trying to find an OTR suit for under $1000 over the past month when I finally excepted that I'm an odd jacket size. Most stores I visited seemed to start with 38R jackets. 5'11" 135lbs, very narrow. I sort of fit 36R jackets, but not all of them. Expensive fitted RTW like D&G, Gucci, etc. was well, too expensive. After searching the threads on this site, it seems like there are a lot of people in my situation.

From what I can tell, Alan David offers a competitive price for a fully custom suit. Suits start at $695 for 100 thread Vitale Barberis and go up in price from there. I don't know anything first hand about fabric, but I figured this would work for me. I will wear the suit a few times a year at most.

Comments on this site have been helpful in figuring out what I would like in a suit.
    I'm interested in a 2 button, narrow notched lapels (2"), normal length jacket, flappy pockets, some waist supression, flat front plants, no pleats, navy suit. I can't imagine that will be hard for a tailor. It seems pretty conventional too me.

Are there other things I should be thinking about before I go in to be measured? Anything I'm missing? Do those specifications sound preposterous for someone my size?

Thanks for any help.

Patrick

2. doldrums

doldrums Member

you might want narrower pant legs and functional suit cuff buttons. How about side vents on the jacket.

3. eothdl

eothdl Member

Do functional suit buttons have a practical effect on the fit of the jacket or are they just cool? I do think they would be cool to have. I'd forgotten about side vents.
    Thanks for reminding me.

4. dopey

dopey Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

5. eothdl

eothdl Member

Thanks for these links. They're very helpful. I see that Alan David is somewhere in between MTM and bespoke. Not exactly, how I understood their website's description. But, at least, I won't be wearing my older brother's old suits.

6. taxgenius

taxgenius Distinguished Member

I see that Alan David is somewhere in between MTM and bespoke.

Why do you say that? Aren't they MTM?

7. eothdl

eothdl Member

Why do you say that? Aren't they MTM?

One of the askandyaboutclothes threads described them that way. Then again, I've never been to the showroom or had a suit made by them. I'll report on how it goes for anybody interested.

8. plazdiddy

plazdiddy Active Member

no suit experience here, but they made me 2 shirts and a few pants. the shirts are decent, although a little roomy for my taste. the pants came out great, and to their credit they did some major surgery on one of them till it met my satisfaction. wish i could share some wisdom about their suit service, but im sure those guys will do you justice. theyre really nice peoples either way and im sure theyll take care of you.

9. Sartorian

Sartorian Distinguished Member

eothl,

I'm of a similar proportion to you: 5'9", 125 lbs. I need a bit under a 36R, myself. I'd be curious to find out how it works out. I'm especially interested in finding someone who will make slimmer, plain front pants.

Just out of curiosity, any reason you're not going with Mr. Ned's? Many people on this forum recommend Varham et. al. for MTM under $1000.

What is the 'typical' styling of the Alan David suits? Is it the classic/traditional only, or can he accommodate more contemporary tastes, as well?

10. eothdl

eothdl Member

eothl,

Just out of curiosity, any reason you're not going with Mr. Ned's? Many people on this forum recommend Varham et. al. for MTM under $1000.

What is the 'typical' styling of the Alan David suits? Is it the classic/traditional only, or can he accommodate more contemporary tastes, as well?

I only found SF a few days ago, so I hadn't heard much about Mr. Ned. They also don't have a website.

Three reasons why I chose Alan David:

1. They offer a $100 discount for a first time customer.

2. The estimated turn around time is 11-16 days. This was the biggest reason. I sort of need the suit by the end of April. I started this whole suit odyssey about two weeks ago having no idea how hard it would be to find something that fits. None of the other MTM places seemed to have such a fast turn around.

3. I don't know the style of Alan David. This is my first suit that isn't a hand-me-down, so I'm not going for fancy. Just something that fits and looks sort of modern. I figured anybody could do that. Maybe too hopeful.

#3 is more of shrug then a reason.

Alan David's website confused me a bit. They didn't say which brands they were using as templates (i.e. Brooks Brothers, Hugo Boss,) so I thought that it would be a more customized suit than just a Brooks Brothers suit w/o the Brooks Brother label.

Maybe this was wrong to assume. I guess it's not too late to go someplace else. I won't be measured until next Wednesday. They had a post-Passover rush. But, whoever I talked to on the phone was nice and their showroom is two blocks from my office.

Patrick

11. Sartorian

Sartorian Distinguished Member

Sounds like good reasoning to me. I went by Bergdorf's and Jil Sander yesterday. They each told me size 36 suits in basic colors always sell out immediately--one of the first to go every season. Grey 36s. It's looking like for a basic grey suit, MTM may be the only (reasonably priced) alternative.

12. Rebel_5

Rebel_5 Well-Known Member

So has anyone had a suit or jacket made by this company?

13. eothdl

eothdl Member

I had a navy, two button suit made by Alan David. I'm happy with the results. It took a bit longer to get made than their website suggests; 4 weeks rather than 2 weeks. And I had to call them a few times to find out that the suit was ready. They weren't on top of things that way.

But, they were very accomodating with style choices and some alterations. The prices seemed reasonable too. I would use them again.

I think I will use them for a new shirt and tie.

Patrick

14. Sander

Sander Distinguished Member

Of course we're eager now for pictures [​IMG]

15. taxgenius

taxgenius Distinguished Member

Can anyone comment on their suits? Which company are they using? How is the pricing?