• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alamo Drafthouse Takes On People Who Text During Movies

Freewheeler

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is awesome and more companies should have the balls to do this.

dexterhaven

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Very funny. I'm not sure how ballsy the policy is though. I go to the Drafthouse a lot and very few of the people there belong to groups that are infamous for texting in the theater. Could be a chicken-egg thing though.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this yesterday on Yahoo, I believe; quite amusing.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I <3 Alamo Drafthouse in general.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
this is so awesome.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I have been there and used my phone before. I guarantee this woman was being generally obnoxious (she sounds pretty drunk and ****** in the message) and the phone thing was a pretext.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alamo has a very long tradition of cool/quirky ads pre-screening to tell people to shut their farking phones off and shut up

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is the place that treats a cinema like a bar/restaurant, right? A film experience for people who hate films?

Our service model is deliberately low tech, and it's designed to be as unobtrusive as possible so that the process of getting your beer delivered to your seat doesn't needlessly distract you from the film you're about to enjoy. We recommend arriving at the theater early not just to ensure that you get the seat of your choice and enjoy our custom-made preshow, but also so you can browse through our menu while the lights in the auditorium are still on.

As you make your selections, you simply write down your order using the paper and pen provided on the table in front of you. During the preshow, your waiter will greet you, go over your order, and make sure there isn't anything else you need before the movie starts. During the feature you're free to order as often as you like by simply writing down another order (most locations offer dim lighting under the tables to help you see what you're scribbling) and then standing it up in the clip at the front of the table.

That paper then acts like a flag to get your waiter's attention. He'll then crouch down past everyone else and grab your order with the speed and agility of a trained ninja. Your order will be whisked out of the theater and transferred to the bar or kitchen, and your ninja waiter will sneak it back into you as soon as your items are ready.

About a half hour before the end of the show, your waiter will drop off the check. If you leave cash or a credit card on the bill promptly, you'll have your change or receipts ready for you by the time the credits are rolling so you can head out into the night and start debating the merits of the film you just watched. And if you pay but then realize you forgot to get some molten chocolate cake, no worries - just write another order down and raise a flag. As long as the kitchen is still open, your waiter will bring your dessert to you as fast as is humanly possible. If you enjoy your service, feel free to tip our hard working staff!
That doesn't sound distracting at all.

lefty

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
This is the place that treats a cinema like a bar/restaurant, right? A film experience for people who hate films?

That doesn't sound distracting at all.

lefty

+1

sounds like just another adversarial snarly hipster douchebag barista fallback career establishment.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great food and one of the best sangrias in Austin as well as an excellent selection of McMovies and indies - it's no accident that Austin loves the ADH.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
after seeing those other ads and understanding who they are there's no way that call is real.

Freewheeler

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
after seeing those other ads and understanding who they are there's no way that call is real.

Except it is.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
+1

sounds like just another adversarial snarly hipster douchebag barista fallback career establishment.

they take your order during previews and give you your check ~ 20 minutes before the movie ends.

everytime i go, i don't think i've seen them drop off my check.

ps. not a hipster nor barista (prob. a douchebag though)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads