• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Airport Footwear

B2C2V

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
A lesson:

- try & not take your shoes of when flying as your feet will expand causing great discomfort when trying to put shoes back on (also over stressing your shoes). & no, your shoes will not be stressed if you keep them on.

You do not even for long haul flights?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's why you don't wear your house loafers to the airport: you never know who you will run into at an airport. On an average trip, I will see more VPs and high ranking customers while passing through DFW than I will in a week of being around my office. It pays to always look like you give a damn

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I usually wear my heaviest pair (easier on the feet than in a duffle bag), pack a second pair with trees in a special shoe bag (like a dop kit), and also pack a casual pair or two stuffed with socks. That's enough variety for pretty much any length trip. I do really want some light weight travel trees.

Monk straps are good for security (easy on/off).

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear monkstraps or chelsea boots because they're easy to take on and off and they're extremely versatile, as I can wear them with anything from jeans to a suit. My favorites are a pair of Martegani shell cordovan monks in color #6 that go with anything, look great, and are low-maintenance. For trips of a week or longer, if I wear the monks, I'll pack the chelseas and vice versa.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
It takes 20 seconds to unlace shoes and another 30 lace them back on. Do people really need to worry about "airport shoes" or "travel shoes"? It makes me both smile and wince when I see people wearing a suit and "comfy" loafers when they're traveling.
People look at me strangely when I wear my high boots, but I can get them off and put them back on very quickly, and without sitting. Besides, except for international flights, I only go through security once each way.

Pundit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
I wear what I want to wear and refuse to be dictated by the gods of airport security... the only inconvenient part of wearing my travel shoe of choice is removing them and lacing it up again after getting through the fine ladies and gentlemen that keep our airports safe, but I don't think its a big deal to sit in a corner and lace it up after anyway.

+1

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
this +1

I usually wore my BB pebble-grain plain toe oxfords... but this last trip snagged a nail or screw underneath the taxi seat and received a heart-breaking 2 inch deep cut on the toe of the shoe.
frown.gif

The horror.....the horror.
frown.gif

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What? Feet swell on airplanes? I generally wear shoes when I fly. In other words, I have never even considered this question.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Is this a serious question? I wear a suit because I'm meeting with clients after I land or before I take off.

This reminds me of when I was in college and flying back and forth for interviews. I ran into one of my classmates on the plane who was also interviewing with the same employer. I was in a suit, he was in jeans, a sweatshirt, and flip flops. He looked at me and said "you don't think they are actually going to pick us up in person rather than send a car service, do you?!" You guessed it . . . LOL

To answer the original question, I wear loafers unless I'm in a suit, in which case I would wear whatever I would normally wear. Everything else gets packed and checked. I can't stand bringing too much **** on the plane with me. Briefcase is all.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
This reminds me of when I was in college and flying back and forth for interviews. I ran into one of my classmates on the plane who was also interviewing with the same employer. I was in a suit, he was in jeans, a sweatshirt, and flip flops. He looked at me and said "you don't think they are actually going to pick us up in person rather than send a car service, do you?!" You guessed it . . . LOL

To answer the original question, I wear loafers unless I'm in a suit, in which case I would wear whatever I would normally wear. Everything else gets packed and checked. I can't stand bringing too much **** on the plane with me. Briefcase is all.

I couldn't help but laugh at that. I don't mind wearing a suit on a plane, and often it's out of necessity. On a recent international trip I wore a suit because of a dinner meeting upon arrival. I was teased by my travel companions, but they were embarrassed when they realized that there was no time for changing when we arrived. I don't find a good fitting suit to be uncomfortable when I have to travel in it.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Here's why you don't wear your house loafers to the airport: you never know who you will run into at an airport. On an average trip, I will see more VPs and high ranking customers while passing through DFW than I will in a week of being around my office. It pays to always look like you give a damn
True enough. I ran into Amb. Bolton at the Red Carpet lounge at Dulles on my way to Anguilla.

But I think, if I may say so immodestly, I was dressed much better than he was.
smile.gif

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorially Challenged
True enough. I ran into Amb. Bolton at the Red Carpet lounge at Dulles on my way to Anguilla.

But I think, if I may say so immodestly, I was dressed much better than he was.
smile.gif

I spent a week in Anguilla. What a beautiful island.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
I spent a week in Anguilla. What a beautiful island.
Yes, it is. For me, few places get better than an afternoon at the Turtle Cove beach, a bottle of Bordeaux at the Malli while the sun goes down and a late lobster dinner at Blanchard's.

Definitely no more formal than a pair of loafers and a linen jacket!
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads