• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Airport-assigned seats?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of this practice before, until today. I'll be flying out of LaGuardia tomorrow to go to Denver via O'Hare. From O'Hare to Denver, I have a seat assigned. From LaGuardia to O'Hare, I have no seat. A call to United tells me that 60% of the seats are assigned by the airlines, while the rest by the airport. This got me to wonder, what business does the airport have in telling the airlines where their customers may sit? How did they come up with this arrangement in the first place?

I'm a little apprehensive about this practice because, for the past 2 Christmases, my gf--who I'll be flying with tomorrow--have been delayed overnight at stopover airports. If this happens again, she'll probably have a breakdown.

BTW, how's the weather in Chicago?

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
while the rest by the airport. This got me to wonder, what business does the airport have in telling the airlines where their customers may sit? How did they come up with this arrangement in the first place?

Its AT the airport, by the agents at the gate.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
Its AT the airport, by the agents at the gate.

I understand this, but according to the phone service rep, it's airport controlled. This means to me that the airport has a say in who sits where.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats not correct. Its done by gate/ticket/customer service agents of the airline or its partner AT the airport at either the time of check in, or at the time of departure. However I would suggest getting there early because people without a seat assignment are the ones who get bumped first.

I dont know why you were told that the airport had anything to do with it (or why you would think that). Jet Blast works for an airline, I am sure he can put it to bed.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The airports have no reason to control where you sit onboard the aircraft. The agent meant that the agents at the airport will assign seating and was saying that it is airport-controlled as opposed to over-the-phone-controlled.

Some employees (myself included) will use internal airline terminology over the phone and forget that we are speaking to a passenger who may not know what we are talking about. I can assure you that a United agent will be assigning your seat, not the airport management at O'Hare.

indy116

Reaction score
Weather a couple hours south of Chicago is ****** right now. I don't think Chicago is much better. Supposed to improve tomorrow.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Some employees (myself included) will use internal airline terminology over the phone and forget that we are speaking to a passenger who may not know what we are talking about. I can assure you that a United agent will be assigning your seat, not the airport management at O'Hare.

So, how do I make sure I'll get a seat, other than arriving 3 hours before flight time?

Agnacious

Reaction score
This happened to me once when I booked a ticket using miles on AA 24 hours before the flight. I called and was told that this is because the flight was oversold but not to worry because I had status etc etc.

I would suggest getting to the airport early because getting stuck at ohare may be the least of your problems.

mafoofan Jr.

Reaction score
I always show up in line early for the tail seats (safest in case of crash). Now these fools are going to put me right up in front next to pilot, where some Saudi loaded with strapped bombs could be standing, AK-47 slinging.
frown.gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I'm in love with your avatar, DNW.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, how do I make sure I'll get a seat, other than arriving 3 hours before flight time?

Exactly as you said, arriving a few hours before your flight is supposed to leave. If the flight is overbooked and you show up 5 minutes before departure time, chances are you aren't getting on the airplane.

I don't see why people have a problem with allowing themselves enough time to get to the airport and leave room for error, it's ridiculous how many people show up 10 minutes before their flight begging to get through the security line. I know I work in customer service, but if I helped every single person who has come up to me asking me to take them through the crew line because they have two and a half minutes to get to their gate, I would never get any flights done.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly as you said, arriving a few hours before your flight is supposed to leave. If the flight is overbooked and you show up 5 minutes before departure time, chances are you aren't getting on the airplane.

I don't see why people have a problem with allowing themselves enough time to get to the airport and leave room for error, it's ridiculous how many people show up 10 minutes before their flight begging to get through the security line. I know I work in customer service, but if I helped every single person who has come up to me asking me to take them through the crew line because they have two and a half minutes to get to their gate, I would never get any flights done.

There's a difference between showing up 10 minutes before flight time and expecting airline employees to do you a favor and showing up an hour before flight time expecting to get a seat BECAUSE YOU ******* PAID FOR IT. The airlines' practice of overbooking is absurd. If I have already paid for my ticket, I want my ******* seat. Period. Is this too much to ask?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a difference between showing up 10 minutes before flight time and expecting airline employees to do you a favor and showing up an hour before flight time expecting to get a seat BECAUSE YOU ******* PAID FOR IT. The airlines' practice of overbooking is absurd. If I have already paid for my ticket, I want my ******* seat. Period. Is this too much to ask?

Is it too much to ask to have us not have to delay a flight as you run down the concourse, late? I would hope not.

I do not support overbooking personally, it's not my idea, I don't book the tickets or have anything to do with that, my job is to get your ass on the plane and off to wherever it is you are going. I do things as the book tells me to, unless it is for the passenger's benefit and will not put my job on the line. If you have a problem with it, send an email to the airline, don't whine at the agent about it. They're just going to tell you to do the same thing. Overbooking is done because it is expected that some passengers on the flight will end up canceling (which occurs more often than you would think).

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it too much to ask to have us not have to delay a flight as you run down the concourse, late? I would hope not.

I do not support overbooking personally, it's not my idea, I don't book the tickets or have anything to do with that, my job is to get your ass on the plane and off to wherever it is you are going. I do things as the book tells me to, unless it is for the passenger's benefit and will not put my job on the line. If you have a problem with it, send an email to the airline, don't whine at the agent about it. They're just going to tell you to do the same thing. Overbooking is done because it is expected that some passengers on the flight will end up canceling (which occurs more often than you would think).

This is ridiculous. The agent is a representative of the airline, so "whining to the agent" is the same as complaining to the airline. And telling people that it's their own fault for not getting on a flight that they paid for because they didn't get their 3 hours before the flight takes off is similarly marsupialed. No wonder the airlines are failing.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hope your travel is without a glitch.

I've had flight problems on my last three flights, all within the span of two months. Fortunately, in all three cases the agents went out of their respective ways to get me on my way that night rather than the next day.

Rather than pitching a fit as I saw a couple of people do, I did my best to be nice and respectful. I got on my way, they didn't. It may not always work but regardless of how wrong they might be, and how deserving the airline is of a piece of your mind, the agents seem to have a lot of discretion at their disposal to go beyond the call of duty to accommodate your situation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads