• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Airport-assigned seats?

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I'm not reading this thread but answering the thread title:

Sometimes you can pick online before hand.

Sometimes it is assigned when you get your ticket at the counter (usually from those DIY machines) and even then you can view the seats on the plane and change to available ones at the computer

Some airlines to open seating but with certain people getting first dibs

I don't see often when you have no idea what seat you are until you step on the plane though.

You do have the option of buying a class of ticket that eliminates the risk. I always pick my own seat and check in before going to the airport.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47

Thats not even close to a fair comparison.

I'm not in the business of being interested in whether comparisons are fair or not.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
This attitude is why the airlines are going to hell in a hand basket. If you're (don't take this personal, it's just directed at airlines generally) at the front line of an organization, you do have the power to change what your customers think about your organization. All this hostility didn't just come out of nowhere. It came from years of being complacent, from not giving a **** what the customers think. The domestic autos are in a pile of **** because of this attitude. Thank God the car market is opened to foreign manufacturers. If the domestic flight business is fully opened to foreign airlines, I wonder how many current airlines will actually be in existence right now.

The airlines have received enough complaints from customers re: overbooking as it is. One more complaint from me ain't gonna make a difference. So, if the airlines don't give a ****, and the employees on the front line don't give a ****, it boggles my mind why the whole industry expects its customers to have nice things to say about it.

Tell me, where does the buck stop?

+1, this is why the US simply shouldn't have any airlines - they should let people who really want to run airlines do it - emirates, lufthansa, singapore, thai, etc. the US based airlines simply suck so much at service, and are so bad at giving service at a reasonable price point they should jsut give up and retire/fire everybody.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
I don't see why people have a problem with allowing themselves enough time to get to the airport and leave room for error, .

I fly 120 legs a year, which means I spend about 240 hours waiting in airports, time that could probrably be spent more productively, if the airlines were a little more effitient. 240 hours is about 6 work weeks, a month and a ******* half of work time, spent waiting in airports. now do you see why it pisses people off?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I fly 120 legs a year, which means I spend about 240 hours waiting in airports, time that could probrably be spent more productively, if the airlines were a little more effitient. 240 hours is about 6 work weeks, a month and a ******* half of work time, spent waiting in airports. now do you see why it pisses people off?

Certainly, this is why I do not work for an American airline in the first place. I would think that with the amount of money your company spends on your airfare they could get a share of a private jet to use.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But what could they do to make things more efficient? The airlines were one of the biggest opponents of the TSA initially for that exact reason? I used to fly alot year ago (not as much anymore), but I dont see a lot of ways for the AIRLINES to cut wait times, thats almost all security/TSA issues.

Just to play DA for a second, you lose 6 weeks of work time, but not really, since its part of your job to travel. I dont see you complaing that airplanes are too slow and NYC to LA should only take an hour not 4, think of all the work time you lose that way?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But what could they do to make things more efficient? The airlines were one of the biggest opponents of the TSA initially for that exact reason? I used to fly alot year ago (not as much anymore), but I dont see a lot of ways for the AIRLINES to cut wait times, thats almost all security/TSA issues.

I will also add that the airlines can't stand TSA just as much as the travelers do. We have nothing to do with their excuse for a security organization.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just to play DA for a second, you lose 6 weeks of work time, but not really, since its part of your job to travel. I dont see you complaing that airplanes are too slow and NYC to LA should only take an hour not 4, think of all the work time you lose that way?

hey, I didn't start the discussion, but Jet Blast said he doens't understand why people don't like to get to the airport several hours early. I said why.

as to the speed of the flights, that is basicaly a physical law, there is a limitation on how fast a plane can fly, and the fligtht might not be scheduled in the way that I would prefer, but I have no problem with that. but the inneficiancy of the airlines is something that can be changed.

and, for the record, the whole issue of assigned seats doens't bother me - I never get bumped of a flight. but what does piss me off is the attitude of the airlines. and what pisses me off more is now people like JB who learned the attitude of the US based carriers now going to work for the international carriers - that can only be a bad thing (no offense meant, JB). I'd rather see him picking up good habbit than draging bad habbits with him.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
and, for the record, the whole issue of assigned seats doens't bother me - I never get bumped of a flight. but what does piss me off is the attitude of the airlines. and what pisses me off more is now people like JB who learned the attitude of the US based carriers now going to work for the international carriers - that can only be a bad thing (no offense meant, JB). I'd rather see him picking up good habbit than draging bad habbits with him.

Did he ever work for a domestic line?

Anyway, I don't see how that's really a bad thing. The chances that he takes any bad habits he may have learned with him are small. Maybe he'd take the habits with him, but if these airlines are as good as they seem to be compared to domestic ones, then they'd snip those habits in the bud.

Maybe he can learn a few good things from the other lines and bring some of that positive energy back to domestic lines. Although one person wouldn't really change much.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson

Anyway, I don't see how that's really a bad thing. The chances that he takes any bad habits he may have learned with him are small. Maybe he'd take the habits with him, but if these airlines are as good as they seem to be compared to domestic ones, then they'd snip those habits in the bud.

Maybe he can learn a few good things from the other lines and bring some of that positive energy back to domestic lines. Although one person wouldn't really change much.

I did, I worked for United. I am currently employed by the customer service division of the airport itself.

The majority of my bad habits have been picked up simply because I got tired of being the only person on the ticket counter who actually wanted to try and help (no offense meant to my coworkers, most of which have been laid off by now). If I get another job with an airline specifically it will most likely be with an international carrier simply because the travelers aren't the only ones tired of the incompetence of the airline management and some of the frontline staff. After flying Emirates, Singapore, etc; that is what the customer service should be like.

The likelihood of me bringing any positive energy back to an airline everyone hates is a futile effort, so I just gave it up and went by the book on everything.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson

I dont see JB as a danger to the world aviation industry, believe me. its just there is such a huge attitide difference between americans in the business and a lot of the rest of the world (I don't think that latin americans are any better, by the way, the best companies are asian and then european). and I like to rag on JB, but he is basically a good kid

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I dont understand what Jet Blast is saying to have a bad attitude. He is basically saying, you guys dont want to follow the rules, both legit and implied, dont want to pay for anything, and then ***** when underpaid and overworked Airline CSA's dont part the red sea for you when you treat them like crap?

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

and PS everyone who thinks foreign airlines are so hot, have any of you ever flown any of them domestically (in their own country). Even US based airlines International flights are nice, its like night and day in comparison.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess I dont understand what Jet Blast is saying to have a bad attitude. He is basically saying, you guys dont want to follow the rules, both legit and implied, dont want to pay for anything, and then ***** when underpaid and overworked Airline CSA's dont part the red sea for you when you treat them like crap?

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

it is perfectly reasonable. but if somebody comes along and offers a better expereince, then I will do business with them. it is the same thing with the car industry - it was perfectly reasonable to suggest that car workers should make crappy products and get paid way to much money, and then when foreign cars came on the market, they had to go to the government for bailouts.

and PS everyone who thinks foreign airlines are so hot, have any of you ever flown any of them domestically (in their own country). Even US based airlines International flights are nice, its like night and day in comparison.
I fly asian airlines "domiesticaly" all the time, ditto european and latin american. aside from some routes in russia and latin america, they are all better than american based airlines. when bangladesh and nigeria can produce a better pasenger experience than american airlines and united, there is a problem.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I fly asian airlines "domiesticaly" all the time, ditto european and latin american. aside from some routes in russia and latin america, they are all better than american based airlines. when bangladesh and nigeria can produce a better pasenger experience than american airlines and united, there is a problem.

I have flown on Biman (Bangladesh national airline) and would never do it again.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
I have flown on Biman (Bangladesh national airline) and would never do it again.

I've flove Biman, and I would take it over AA domestic economy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads