• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Airplane Underseat Carry on Bag

gilwood

Reaction score
I've been searching for the perfect carry on bag that fits under the seat for airline travel. I'd like to be able to fit my ipod, sony psp, laptop, headphones, blow up pillow, and a thick sweater in case it gets cold in the plane.

I tried using a standard backpack once, but the top stuck out and I was scolded for having a bag that was too big, then it went into the overhead and I couldn't change media / clothes whenever I wanted to. I have a eddie bauer carry on bag with dimensions 16x12x10 and it doesn't fit either. I think the 10" part was too thick.

Does anyone know the underseat dimensions of an airplane and can suggest an elegant bag? I tried googling several options and came up with nothing. Of course, this bag would also serve as a gym bag when not travelling.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what I use for my carry on bag when I travel. I use it as a gym bag as well. It's Salvatore Ferragamo.

86221612.jpg

gilwood

Reaction score
A lot of links seem to suggest that the underseat dimensions are 22x14x9". That's the size of my rolling carry-on! I don't think it's that big under the seat.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gilwood
A lot of links seem to suggest that the underseat dimensions are 22x14x9". That's the size of my rolling carry-on! I don't think it's that big under the seat.

Yeah- a full-sized rollaway is not fitting under any current seat. My laptop bag barely fits on some planes.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jil Sander:
DSC02096.jpg

I also take a shopper tote as a carry-on (Ferragamo):
DSC03212-1.jpg

Some slimmer duffles tend to work (furla):
Furla2.jpg

chas

Reaction score
overnight-bag-t2.jpg
Monocle Porter Boston bag - steep but I've wanted it for a while.

chas

Reaction score
And Baby Boston Bag - might be better per your specs.
baby-boston-bag-pl.jpg
baby-boston-bag-p1.jpg

chas

Reaction score
Sorry for the multiple posts but I just found much better pics for the Baby Boston:

monocle-porter-baby-boston-bag-2.jpg

monocle-porter-baby-boston-bag-3.jpg

monocle-porter-baby-boston-bag-4.jpg

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Is that a diaper bag? If not, anyway, it might sound crazy, but diaper bags also work REALLY well for travel or even work. They are smaller than duffles, bigger than "briefcase"type totes, and have TONS of little storage compartments to keep things separated. I'm pretty sure most all the brands make one (I've even seen Prada and LV ones), but you may want to check out some of those as well. Found a pic of an LV one, just to show the size and all the little compartments inside: http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/eLux...ene_dt3?$hero$

gilwood

Reaction score
I guess I'm trying to find a bag that would give me the maximum amount of room. I most likely will be travelling with a big rolling carryon, then a "personal" bag. The personal bag would go over the seat, but I want maximum storage for it.

I think I found the dimensions of the under seat of an airplane: Underseat: 8 x 16 x 21 inches

It was posted on this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=18059773

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your main problem is that you want space for all that **** PLUS a laptop.

Doc4

Reaction score
Check the Mulholland offerings at STP. I have use the "angler's bag" as my "airport bag" and it works well.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Your main problem is that you want space for all that **** PLUS a laptop.

Haha. I wouldn't want to sit next to this guy. He will probably be ruffling through that bag every 15 minutes preventing me from sleeping.

There's a bric bag I think that might work. Trying to find the link.

Composer_1777

Reaction score
Dude, i've fit two bags under the seat, a backpack and messenger bag 17" ; i don't know what kind of planes you are flying on. Shuv that **** under there, big deal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads