• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Airline etiquette concerning meals

Bruce9241

Reaction score
You know how they only give you a little bit of food on airlines? Small bags of peanuts, a small plastic cup of orange juice, a bite size piece of bread, small portions all around. You can't get full on this.

This got me thinking. Would it be considered impolite to ask the person sitting next to you if he or she is going to finish that?

For example. Your neighbor eats everything on his meal plate, (chicken medley of vegetables, a 2x2 chocolate brownie and some canned fruit) except the canned fruit. Would it be considered weird to ask him if you can have his canned fruit?

Now you don't know this neighbor of yours. This is the first time you two have met. Infact you two haven't really said much on the 18 hour flight. He's just some guy trying to get home or something.

I don't think it would be. I mean if he doesn't eat his canned fruit, the airline is probably going to toss it out anyway, or worse, give it to the poor.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it would be impolite to do so. That's reserved for people you actually know personally. Most people don't even want to chat on flights, let alone give their neighbor some food, even if they are to throw it away.

Happydayz

Reaction score
Of course it would be rude.

I think your bigger problem is not getting full off of airline meals. Cheesecake Factory style portioning is NOT normal and we as a country would be far healthier if airline size portions were more prevalent. /rant off

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I see that the person next to me has already eaten a certain item (say, a bag of peanuts), and I'm not planning to eat my own, I usually just offer it to him/her.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree with the two posts above.

I never eat my vegetables or fruits so I would readily give them to you if you asked.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can you imagine the unpleasantness on a long flight if they filled everyone up with big portions? Imo, the airlines are doing the right thing here.

flashback

Reaction score
I think in this context it would be a little weird. The question should be are you REALLY that desperate for your neighbors little can of fruit? Is that really going to make a huge dent in your appetite?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flashback
I think in this context it would be a little weird. The question should be are you REALLY that desperate for your neighbors little can of fruit? Is that really going to make a huge dent in your appetite?

Or, I hate to state the obvious, but you could always bring snacks in your carry-on...

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ask. Too many times people hesitate to ask for something because they think "it might be akward" when the other person is really and truly indifferent. If it doesn't bother them and it makes you happy, why not?

Also, if the other person is sleeping, stealing their food is fair game.
nest.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On a recent flight the woman sitting next to me asked for my dessert. I was happy to oblige, and thought nothing of it.

Nugget

Reaction score
I usually ask the crew if I want more of anything. that's the way it is supposed to work, right?

asking for a pen for the immigration card is about as much conversation I want with co-passengers.. I certainly don't want to share meals with them.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think pens are a different matter. I've been in situations where I didn't have one which led me to asking my neighbour.

Bruce9241

Reaction score
What about standing in the middle of the aisle and asking the whole cabin if anyone wants to trade their chocolate brownie for your uneaten chicken? I'm sure someone liked the chicken and would be glad to make the trade.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
I think pens are a different matter. I've been in situations where I didn't have one which led me to asking my neighbour.

I had a flight attendant scold me once when I asked her for a pen. She told me I should have been better prepared for traveling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads