Air Travel

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Connemara, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Matt

Matt [email protected]

You've just given me one of those "duh, why didn't I think of that" moments! [​IMG]
    i dont like wearing hoodies on flights, when you not wearing the hood it bunches up behind your neck, gets uncomfortable (this thread is so so so different to its AAAC equivalent a while back....its so good to be home!)

2. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Here, let me remind you:

I wear TRAD on the plane!

3. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

where does one fly from Texas that is more than 5 hours and does not offer free drinks? all international flights have free alcohol (unless things very different in the US), and domestically, isnt everything within a 5 hour radius of Texas?
    New York and Seattle are more than five hours including both flight time and wait time if you have to transfer. Free drinks on international flights? Are you kidding me? I don't think I've ever taken advantage of that. Anyway, there is also the matter of quality, e.g. the best vodka is just Skyy.

4. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

Hard liquor is absolutely essential. The airline booze is of poor quality and hugely overpriced. A flask is fine for domestic but I bring a 750ml or 1L bottle for any flight longer than five hours. Bringing your own food is nice too.

Kent, are you saying that you fill a bottle that was used for another beverage with vodka? Or are you claiming that you open and drink from a bottle of vodka on a flight?

Alcohol is free on domestic flights in business and first on US airlines, usually $5 in coach.

On longer flights, I am somewhat concerned about dehydration, DVTs and the like, so I personally limit the alcohol to about 2 drinks.

5. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Kent, are you saying that you fill a bottle that was used for another beverage with vodka? Or are you claiming that you open and drink from a bottle of vodka on a flight?
    Drinking straight from a liquor bottle is a bit too conspicuous. In the past, I've taken a bottle of tonic, removed half of its contents and replaced with gin. I fly coach.

6. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

You've just given me one of those "duh, why didn't I think of that" moments! [​IMG]

don't feel bad, it took me about 3 million miles to think of it.

7. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Here, let me remind you:

I wear TRAD on the plane!

I wear a trad hoodie - hoodie howell the third

8. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

Usually I go trad: oxford shirt, navy blazer, khakis and my Moreschi moc tassel loafers, which are like having my feet borne aloft by angel's wings. The blazer's pockets are quite functional. I invariably fly (and go everywhere generally) with a full hip flask of XO cognac. I also order at least one gin & tonic. The worst I've ever gotten is Tanqueray, and that's not bad. If I could order demerol, I'd spend the entire flight in la-la land.

By coach, do you mean steerage?

I'll be flying to Europe in June for a whirlwind tour interpreting for our general manager. I have my eye on the Zegna Traveler, but am very reluctant to part with that kind of money. Does anyone have any experience with these suits?

9. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I just picked up an Orvis Rhinohide jacket for air travel, particularly to lands faraway. Lots of interior pockets, machine washable and (I hope) not too hot. I got mine NWOT from a seller on ebay who seems to have several sizes available for only $50. Previously I've worn a blazer.

Generally I wear khakis, either a polo or long-sleeve button up (depending on temperature) and penny loafers. They are easy on and off through security and can be slipped off when sleeping on long flights.

10. rip

rip Active Member

I don't drink on flights myself. But if I were, I'd bring my own food at least. Usually drinks are free, no? And they have a decent selection of blended whiskey and vodka.
    Not within the US! Alcoholic beverages are $5! Of course, any really experienced long-distance traveler will tell you that alcohol just exacerbates the effects of jet-lag.

11. rip

rip Active Member

If one wants to witness first-hand a microcosm of the decay and coarsening of the culture, one needs only to look at the clothing worn by most air travelers. One needs only to dress like a jackass to be treated like an animal.

12. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

If one wants to witness first-hand a microcosm of the decay and coarsening of the culture, one needs only to look at the clothing worn by most air travelers. One needs only to dress like a jackass to be treated like an animal.
    "...is something that would be said on AAAC"

Make sure you post in the right thread the next time!

13. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Free drinks on international flights?

Better airlines from non-Muslim countries tend to offer all of their passengers free drinks on international flights. (Emirates, a Dubai-based airline, also does.) Generally, they'll serve decent but not great stuff; Gordon's instead of Tanqueray (though I have gotten Beefeater on a plane), Absolut instead of Skyy, and so on.

Unfortunately, none of the domestic carriers I've flown on fall into the "better airlines" category. That's why whenever I fly somewhere else I'll always pay more to use that country's flag carrier.

14. rip

rip Active Member

"...is something that would be said on AAAC"

Make sure you post in the right thread the next time!

This is exactly the right thread for this. If you have any doubts, just read what some of the posters choose to wear while flying.

15. ragdoll

ragdoll Senior member

I confess that I am one of those ugly people that wear a sweatsuit on long haul transcontinental flights.[​IMG]