1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Air Travel

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Connemara, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I vaguely remember this being posted on AAAC once. Seeing as there is no search function (and I'm lazy), I'll bring it up again.

What's your usual plane travel attire?

For me...tends to be a cotton navy blazer (or wool in the cooler months), pair of chinos or dark-wash jeans if I'm feeling trendy, and an open-necked shirt. Tie is too restrictive for air travel.

In my experience, slipons are a good idea, mostly for ergonomic purposes.

2. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

If I'm smuggling something, e.g. booze or food, and want to avoid attention I'll wear a suit and tie. Otherwise, something comfortable like polo and jeans.

3. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

Depends on whether I am traveling for work or play. For work, I generally wear a suit, unless I am traveling the night before a meeting the next day.

Even for play, my attire depends in part on length of travel and destination. To Europe, I will generally wear comfortable jeans, a collared shirt and a zip cardigan. And loafers of some style. Longer flights, say to Asia, may prompt me to wear a few more layers to deal with 15 hours on a plane. Or I'll pack a separate outfit to change into during a layover in ICN/NRTprior to arriving in BKK/SIN/KL.

4. DGP

DGP Senior member

Always Jeans, always black Prada Sport (now Linea Rosa) loafers. I always wear jeans when not at work, and those are the most comfortable nice looking shoes I've ever tried. I vary the top half a little more, with anything from a t-shirt and sweater or polo shirt to a button down and blazer. I will sometimes kick it up a notch when waiting for a "battlefield" upgrade. Frequent flyers will know what I'm talking about, and those who don't probably won't be affected by it.

5. DandySF

DandySF Senior member

My typical clothing for the San Francisco-New York trip is a navy blazer with silver buttons, a pair of Levi's, a long sleeved checked shirt, an undershirt to keep me warm at 37,000 feet, black over-the-calf socks, black shoes, and a colorful print pocket square to finish it all off. I also slip a flask of vodka into my jacket to help smooth the flight out. I can go from the plane to the hotel and then to a casual dinner without changing.

6. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Thin-soled loafers on the feet, whatever is appropriate for when I get off the plane. If I can be wearing whatever, then usually a sportcoat, shirt, and jeans on top of the loafers. No extra metal, such as cufflinks.

7. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

My typical clothing for the San Francisco-New York trip is a navy blazer with silver buttons, a pair of Levi's, a long sleeved checked shirt, an undershirt to keep me warm at 37,000 feet, black over-the-calf socks, black shoes, and a colorful print pocket square to finish it all off. I also slip a flask of vodka into my jacket to help smooth the flight out. I can go from the plane to the hotel and then to a casual dinner without changing.

OMG matching shoes and socks?! Say it ain't so!

8. Matt

Matt Senior member

ive got 14 hours on a plane separating me from Paris in a couple months, think Ill wear jeans, sneakers, light sweater, and carry a jacket, as the flight gets in to Paris really early morning, so it'll be a cold trip in from de Gaulle.

9. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

I'll usually wear something comfortable, like a suit/tie or an odd jacket and trousers/tie.

10. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I usually wear a pair of chinos, a shirt with 4 pockets (I had a bunch made, specifically for flying) and a hoodie. I love flying in a hoodie, I just pull the hood up and go to sleep.

11. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

On my last trip, I wore a gray chalkstripe suit on the flight out. On the way back, a bit worse for wear, it was a white button-up shirt with dark jeans.

12. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

I love flying in a hoodie, I just pull the hood up and go to sleep.
    You've just given me one of those "duh, why didn't I think of that" moments! [​IMG]

13. Kent Wang

I also slip a flask of vodka into my jacket to help smooth the flight out.
    Hard liquor is absolutely essential. The airline booze is of poor quality and hugely overpriced. A flask is fine for domestic but I bring a 750ml or 1L bottle for any flight longer than five hours. Bringing your own food is nice too.

14. Horace

Horace Senior member

Hard liquor is absolutely essential. The airline booze is of poor quality and hugely overpriced. A flask is fine for domestic but I bring a 750ml or 1L bottle for any flight longer than five hours. Bringing your own food is nice too.

I don't drink on flights myself. But if I were, I'd bring my own food at least. Usually drinks are free, no? And they have a decent selection of blended whiskey and vodka.

15. Matt

Matt Senior member

where does one fly from Texas that is more than 5 hours and does not offer free drinks? all international flights have free alcohol (unless things very different in the US), and domestically, isnt everything within a 5 hour radius of Texas?

16. Matt

Matt Senior member

You've just given me one of those "duh, why didn't I think of that" moments! [​IMG]
    i dont like wearing hoodies on flights, when you not wearing the hood it bunches up behind your neck, gets uncomfortable (this thread is so so so different to its AAAC equivalent a while back....its so good to be home!)

17. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Here, let me remind you:

I wear TRAD on the plane!

18. Kent Wang

where does one fly from Texas that is more than 5 hours and does not offer free drinks? all international flights have free alcohol (unless things very different in the US), and domestically, isnt everything within a 5 hour radius of Texas?
    New York and Seattle are more than five hours including both flight time and wait time if you have to transfer. Free drinks on international flights? Are you kidding me? I don't think I've ever taken advantage of that. Anyway, there is also the matter of quality, e.g. the best vodka is just Skyy.

19. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

Kent, are you saying that you fill a bottle that was used for another beverage with vodka? Or are you claiming that you open and drink from a bottle of vodka on a flight?

Alcohol is free on domestic flights in business and first on US airlines, usually $5 in coach.

On longer flights, I am somewhat concerned about dehydration, DVTs and the like, so I personally limit the alcohol to about 2 drinks.

20. Kent Wang

Kent, are you saying that you fill a bottle that was used for another beverage with vodka? Or are you claiming that you open and drink from a bottle of vodka on a flight?
    Drinking straight from a liquor bottle is a bit too conspicuous. In the past, I've taken a bottle of tonic, removed half of its contents and replaced with gin. I fly coach.