• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Air Circulation in a Loft-like Space

Rockwell

Reaction score
So I have an open concept house and my bedroom space is above the living with cathedral ceilings. I have central air conditioning but I find that the main floor is much cooler than upstairs. I bought a floor fan to point upstairs and circulate the air.

How does everyone else circulate their air in their lofts?

Bartolo

Reaction score

So I have an open concept house and my bedroom space is above the living with cathedral ceilings. I have central air conditioning but I find that the main floor is much cooler than upstairs. I bought a floor fan to point upstairs and circulate the air.

I have a space like that at the top of my 4-level townhouse and I'm thinking about getting a big fan installed, through the roof and into the ceiling, so that I can suck the hot air out and pull the cool air conditioned air up, especially at night.

culture

Reaction score
Try dampering off some of the grilles/registers on the main floor to force more air to the upper level. Begin dampering off in rooms which you find the coolest, and/or rooms in which you spend less time.

Edit: just re-read your post. Is the upper floor bedroom open to the lower floor? What type of system do you have installed? split system (indoor furnace, outdoor condensing unit), rooftop packaged unit etc?

Last edited:

Lafayette

Reaction score
I'm moving into a loft next month and also have the air circulation issue to address.

I'm planning on going for a Vornado air circulator. While "air circulator" sounds like a fancy way of saying "fan," apparently there's a big difference. A Styleforum search combined with Amazon reviews confirms this.

I won't have any feedback until next month, so until then I can only recommend doing a Vornado search.

Anyone with a Vornado reading this, please chime in.

Fred49

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have enough room try Big Ass Fans. They make a residential unit and they move a ton of air!

Fred49

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
big-ass-fan-1.jpg

one application

Rockwell

Reaction score
Just an update. I bought a smaller sized heavy duty fan at Home Depot. I put it near a air vent and blow the air upwards. It works great. I just put it away when I don't need it. It's better than hanging a big ugly fan at the top of my stairs. Usually takes 5-10mins to get the air circulation going to change the temp of the 2nd floor.

NormanF

Reaction score

I bought a pair of Lasko Wind Machines in the front of the room, placed a Vornado Air Circulator on the kitchen table in the kitchen in the back and set up a Lasko Box Fan in my kitchen facing window. It brought the high temperature down to a bearable level. My second floor apartment came without air conditioning. For $130, they helped to beat the summer heat by circulating air around my living space. Its exactly what I needed for comfort.

Last edited:

NormanF

Reaction score
I'm moving into a loft next month and also have the air circulation issue to address.
I'm planning on going for a Vornado air circulator. While "air circulator" sounds like a fancy way of saying "fan," apparently there's a big difference. A Styleforum search combined with Amazon reviews confirms this.
I won't have any feedback until next month, so until then I can only recommend doing a Vornado search.
Anyone with a Vornado reading this, please chime in.

I can recommend Vornado. Do not get 2 because the effect is canceled out but they can be used in conjunction with floor fans to push the air around the room. This is better than just having fans because with fans, the air is cooled only wherever they blow. With a Vornado in the mix, the cool air is spread evenly around the room. The difference can be felt right away.

Last edited:

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use low thread count bedding.

Leanna Rachel

Reaction score
Thanks for this thread Rockwell! I was wondering if you could share what type of unit you use to cool the main space? I have a loft (with a sleeping loft that gets even hotter)... We live in Los Angeles and it's been 80-100 degrees much of the summer. We're dying!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads