• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vanmosh

Reaction score
Screenshot.png

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Symphony

Reaction score
Are these sneakers supposed to be really comfortable? Because from a design point of view, they're just meh.

They 100% are. I had a little bit of a break in period, but otherwise they’re pretty comfortable. Ortholite soles and all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 60

Kal Varnsen

Reaction score
I think it’s just a clean, simple shoe. It’s stands out in a very minimal way and doesn’t distract from the fit. Also doesn’t look as sporty or as dad like as some other new balances. I think people are tired of common projects or Stan smiths, this is something in a similar vein, but maybe a bit more “modern” or rather a “retro” take/another option.

Fair enough, I guess that makes sense. I was just curious because these particular shoes seemed to be the hot item of the moment amongst fans of the brand, despite being fairly plain, at least compared to past releases. I've read New Balance sneakers can be comfortable, though, and I thought that might be part of the appeal.

I've been trying to find a comfortable pair of sneakers that actually might work in my wardrobe, and have been coming up empty. :(

Symphony

Reaction score
Fair enough, I guess that makes sense. I was just curious because these particular shoes seemed to be the hot item of the moment amongst fans of the brand, despite being fairly plain, at least compared to past releases. I've read New Balance sneakers can be comfortable, though, and I thought that might be part of the appeal.

I've been trying to find a comfortable pair of sneakers that actually might work in my wardrobe, and have been coming up empty. :(

honestly new balance sneakers are pretty great for comfort. I work in retail and have to stand for 8ish hours and NBs are comfortable.

grayfox

Reaction score

Nb makes some of the most comfortable shoes ever. Although, I'm not super happy with the feel of the 550 specifically (I could have gone up .5 like other people mentioned here). Once the cushioned insole collapses a bit it should fit perfectly though.

Nb has been trending for the last couple of years also, and in turn because Teddy had brought this silhouette back with great success he has become the creative director (?) of New Balance from next year. I assume that the 550 was a major part in him being hired. The general releases seem to be selling out instantly as well, although the colour choices do not come close to the aesthetic ALD applies to the shoe.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idk... the yellow 550 that released couple weeks ago is really nice. the non ALD versions don't have that pre-aged look, but some of the colorways are still good

Kal Varnsen

Reaction score
Nb makes some of the most comfortable shoes ever. Although, I'm not super happy with the feel of the 550 specifically (I could have gone up .5 like other people mentioned here). Once the cushioned insole collapses a bit it should fit perfectly though.

For me, the biggest issue I have with casual sneakers is how they tend to press down on the top of my foot as I walk, and I become conscious of it. I don't know if this is a sizing issue (as I take a half size), but so many Common Projects type silhouettes seem to give me this issue.

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads