• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wonder what this means for ALD. Role seems like a full time job so would be hard to juggle both and I can’t see him stepping back from ALD since it’s the hottest it’s ever been and probably makes more from it then what NB would be paying.

I have a terrible feeling about this........NB is gonna become diluted and bastardized just like ALD is now.

NB always had their own stance and hasn't waivered from it just because their competitors went in certain directions. I never thought NB would try so hard but this is probably where I will lose interest in the brand.....I REALLY hope I'm wrong.

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a terrible feeling about this........NB is gonna become diluted and bastardized just like ALD is now.

NB always had their own stance and hasn't waivered from it just because their competitors went in certain directions. I never thought NB would try so hard but this is probably where I will lose interest in the brand.....I REALLY hope I'm wrong.
He’s only CD for MIUSA so that will likely be only a small portion of the shoes made

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He’s only CD for MIUSA so that will likely be only a small portion of the shoes made
I hope this goes well, however what are his credentials for the job? Not a fan of hype as the driver for such impactful decisions.....

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope this goes well, however what are his credentials for the job? Not a fan of hype as the driver for such impactful decisions.....

He's the founder and creative director at ALD, which is one of the biggest brands in the streetwear game right now, by far. He has a very tight connection to New York, and has been very selective in terms of building his brand and bringing the right people on board. He respect's new balance's heritage, and has been thoughtful and creative in resurrecting old silhouettes, even re-launching the 550. My guess is that this was a natural move, as New Balance and Teddy seem to work well together and he probably had lots of great ideas and feedback. I think the MiUSA brand was pretty stagnant for the last 5 years (separate from the organic growth and rise in popularity due to dad shoe trend). Now with people finally turning around to new balance (my girlfriend included, was shocked that 990v5 quality of suede was better than that of suede chanel trainers), I think they can continue to grow the brand.

It's rumored that Teddy will also work on the new 990v6, and while the v5 was successful, many argue it was the worst of the bunch. Only time will tell, but I think there is a lot of opportunity there. I expect a lot of older silhouettes to be re-released during his tenure, highlighting the vast catalog of solid MiUSA shoes NB has released over the last 30+ years.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's the founder and creative director at ALD, which is one of the biggest brands in the streetwear game right now, by far. He has a very tight connection to New York, and has been very selective in terms of building his brand and bringing the right people on board. He respect's new balance's heritage, and has been thoughtful and creative in resurrecting old silhouettes, even re-launching the 550. My guess is that this was a natural move, as New Balance and Teddy seem to work well together and he probably had lots of great ideas and feedback. I think the MiUSA brand was pretty stagnant for the last 5 years (separate from the organic growth and rise in popularity due to dad shoe trend). Now with people finally turning around to new balance (my girlfriend included, was shocked that 990v5 quality of suede was better than that of suede chanel trainers), I think they can continue to grow the brand.

It's rumored that Teddy will also work on the new 990v6, and while the v5 was successful, many argue it was the worst of the bunch. Only time will tell, but I think there is a lot of opportunity there. I expect a lot of older silhouettes to be re-released during his tenure, highlighting the vast catalog of solid MiUSA shoes NB has released over the last 30+ years.
yeah I'm aware of all this but that doesn't always directly translate into logical success at other things..........and now nobody will be able to buy NB if their release become anything like Nikes. I guess time will tell.

The hype is real!

norsefanboi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah I'm aware of all this but that doesn't always directly translate into logical success at other things..........and now nobody will be able to buy NB if their release become anything like Nikes. I guess time will tell.

The hype is real!
i'm not sure what kind of resume you want to see before you can confirm that something will 100% translate. There's never a guarantee with these kind of things but Teddy's got the credentials down.

If you like NB and you like ALD, you've gotta be excited for this move. The hype will for sure follow Teddy but looking at his portfolio with NB up to this point, i'm sure he can live up to the hype.

Edeezus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The hype is real!
New Balance is still looked down upon by most people. Having someone who owns a successful streetwear brand that has helped revitalize the NB brand is not a bad decision imo.

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New Balance is still looked down upon by most people. Having someone who owns a successful streetwear brand that has helped revitalize the NB brand is not a bad decision imo.
I would disagree, I feel like all the “trend setters” are rocking NB, and in Asia it’s “hot, hot, hot”

Edeezus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would disagree, I feel like all the “trend setters” are rocking NB, and in Asia it’s “hot, hot, hot”
Yea in terms of people who are into fashion but the general public don’t know how much the brand has blown up the past couple of years.. at least from my experience with talking to people and my friends.

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of the MiUSA NBs have been selling out quickly this past year. I feel like grey 992s were gone within an hour of a retailer putting them online.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm not sure what kind of resume you want to see before you can confirm that something will 100% translate. There's never a guarantee with these kind of things but Teddy's got the credentials down.

If you like NB and you like ALD, you've gotta be excited for this move. The hype will for sure follow Teddy but looking at his portfolio with NB up to this point, i'm sure he can live up to the hype.
In general - at times - I tend to question things. This is one of those moments. I don't blindly follow the herd especially when hype is the driver. I'm more a fan of NB than ALD. Now that ALD is beyond its peak, I'm not sure what types of products will come out NB and that's what I'm most concerned about.

With regard to resume, I acknowledge the things which have been achieved at ALD. But I also know that Tinker Hatfield made things which were so different, bold, and revolutionary at the time without any hype or WWE attached to it. Tinker created shoes which stand alone to this day and were not just new colorways/iterations of one another. He was a true creative and architect. Perhaps I'm stuck in an era but that is my point of reference.

For fans of NB, they seem to have a IYKYK association with each other. I have a pair of 997.5's which I the average Joe couldn't recognize - but that's what makes them so incredible! And their Japanese market stuff is amazing to me.

Let's see what happens once the new products start to roll-out. Hopefully they are really nice and demonstrate a way to take their traditional silhouettes to a new/different/interesting place. Or better yet, not change them at all =)

Time will tell!

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a bold statement..............link to source?

norsefanboi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's actually quite funny, because anyone who's into fashion wouldn't look down on NB, so the fact that they look down on it exposes them as someone who has no right to look down at anything lol. People are free to dislike NB's aesthetics, but if they can't recognize NB's current position in fashion right now, they just plain not keepin up lol.
But yea, I know some people who still laugh at NB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads