• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

blacklight

Reaction score
ALD styling is so NYC that I didn’t know anyone outside of NY would actually get it.

Always sized up because these weren’t meant to be “streetwear”, which was a fashion category that didn’t even exist back then lol.

I mentioned this a while back in RFT.

I think what all this gets at but doesn't really say is that the notion of "streetwear" is largely a middle/upper-income construction of what we're supposed to look like.

When you look at the old Streetsnaps or photobooks focusing on "urban" style, it's never actually images of the people who come to mind when you first think inner-city. It's almost always... clean cut guys in their 30s in outfits where everything fits well. This is a large part of why that ALD lookbook of the kids in the puffer jackets was so celebrated, because for the first time many of us could remember there was a brand that was centering in a campaign the kids responsible for the aesthetics they traffic in.

That pic could have been any team in the city terrorizing the trains back in middle school: Nudie jeans, Rugby RL shirts you stole/bummed off your cousin/got 70% off and still flexed with the one/two pair(s) of Jordans you had because your mom wasn't getting you another. Granted it's a bit cleaned up, but ALD's styling is accurate to the extent where I buy so little of it because, well, I already have that ****. To the extent that streetwear can actually be "street", they probably come to the closest to doing it in a single brand, which I think is what elevates them beyond *just* consumerism. Still overpriced **** none of us needs, but no one is forcing you to buy it, and clearly it's being packaged for a more mature/affluent demographic anyway. I like the brand, wouldn't buy much of it, but if someone's going to profit off of it it might as well be someone who actually cares about the culture beyond just lipservice. Nor can any of us fault them for encouraging the hype because we're all aware of how brutal this industry is.

Last edited:

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the brand.
E53BF38C-B625-40BA-9EE2-A130AAFBA5B2.jpeg

PeteyPajamapant

Reaction score
Real amateur question, but how do you get early access? Just buying stuff from them consistently? Is most of the good stuff sold out by tomorrow?

trying to get my first pair of loafers

ggss09

Reaction score
Thanks! missed out on the one that I wanted the most, looks like it was sold out before I got there, the floral sweatshirt. Got some hats and a floral pocket tee to make up for it.

sometimes they restock after EA for the regular drop. Not always, but its happened before. On the bright side, copping other stuff will hopefully help build up your shopping history for EA

nick227

Reaction score
Thanks! missed out on the one that I wanted the most, looks like it was sold out before I got there, the floral sweatshirt. Got some hats and a floral pocket tee to make up for it.

I was eyeing the floral sweatshirt too, hoping it pops up somewhere else and I can somehow get a discount. $300CAD is steep.

norsefanboi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was eyeing the floral sweatshirt too, hoping it pops up somewhere else and I can somehow get a discount. $300CAD is steep.
yea true it's quite steep, and it being sold out in early access probably speaks to how it's gonna do at other retailers though right?
might just have to pick it up at a retailer that offers 10% off for signing up to mailing list or something lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads