• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Agnostics and Atheists - do you ever pray?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
What about those that were not raised in a religious household, yet have prayed under certain circumstances?
Are these people religious now?

In any scenario, we can't make some case about "innate tendencies" when we're constantly bombarded with imagery and ideas. We are constantly exposed to religion and religious expression, even those of us that are atheists. Prayer could seem a plausible option when you've seen people pray while under duress on TV, etc, certainly doesn't mean we're hardwired to pray or anything.

Milpool

Reaction score
I've said some pretty horrific **** in my life, but I certainly do not pray. That is a line I just won't cross.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
Has something occurred in your life, or in another person's life that has caused you to say a prayer?

No.

2008-12-01-prayer-vs-hard-work.png

emptym

Reaction score
^ "Pray as thought everything depended on God, and work as though everything depended on you. " -- Ignatius of Loyola

Great story, Tck13. Reminds me of the another saying: Prayer changes us, not God.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am, essentially, agnostic but a practicing jew. I pray all the time, in social settings - I go to synagogue on a regular basis and say blessings at home. when it comes time to say silent prayers, I sit down right away, and don't pretend to pray. I have made it clear to people that I am not a believer. I haven't said a real prayer, with any meaning, in 20 years or so.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
So, as an agnostic atheist, this is one area where "prayer" actually works. Although, that's about it. Unless one considers prayer a form of meditation (which I do) then that's a different story (and a different thread topic).

Prayer as ritualized introspection, I like that.

Incman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I am, essentially, agnostic but a practicing jew. I pray all the time, in social settings - I go to synagogue on a regular basis and say blessings at home. when it comes time to say silent prayers, I sit down right away, and don't pretend to pray. I have made it clear to people that I am not a believer. I haven't said a real prayer, with any meaning, in 20 years or so.

No disrespect intended, but may I ask why you would go through all the trouble of doing something you don't mean/believe? It seems like the time would be better spent elsewhere.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Incman
No disrespect intended, but may I ask why you would go through all the trouble of doing something you don't mean/believe? It seems like the time would be better spent elsewhere.

for my kids. its all an elaborate hoax that I am perpetrating on my kids. actually, I feel that kids should be raised with a religious framework so that they can make their own decisions. if I tell my kids that they shouldn't believe, they will be agnostics. if I raise them with some religion, they can make choices when they are older.
aside from that, frankly, I enjoy the social framework and the tradition, it was what I was raised with.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sort of like when you stub your toe while barefoot and scream "God Dammit!"

This sort of what this thread is implying?

NowhereOutThere

Reaction score
for my kids. its all an elaborate hoax that I am perpetrating on my kids. actually, I feel that kids should be raised with a religious framework so that they can make their own decisions. if I tell my kids that they shouldn't believe, they will be agnostics. if I raise them with some religion, they can make choices when they are older.
aside from that, frankly, I enjoy the social framework and the tradition, it was what I was raised with.

I'm not quite sure what you are getting at. Wouldn't it be easier to tell your children that they are free to choose whatever they want, rather than explicitly tell them to believe/not believe? If my parents were really just pretending (note: lying to me) to be Christian/Jewish/Muslim/etc to raise me within a "religious framework" rather than teach me secular morals and responsibility, I would be pretty upset.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NowhereOutThere
I'm not quite sure what you are getting at. Wouldn't it be easier to tell your children that they are free to choose whatever they want, rather than explicitly tell them to believe/not believe? If my parents were really just pretending (note: lying to me) to be Christian/Jewish/Muslim/etc to raise me within a "religious framework" rather than teach me secular morals and responsibility, I would be pretty upset.

that is the perspective of a kid vs an adult. sorry. you can't just give information to a kid and expect them to act on it, you need to give them tools to work with. you'll get it when you raise kids

Incman

Reaction score

Fair enough. Cheers
smile.gif

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that is the perspective of a kid vs an adult. sorry. you can't just give information to a kid and expect them to act on it, you need to give them tools to work with. you'll get it when you raise kids

So by teaching your kids a bunch of crap that even you don't believe you are giving them tools to work with? Odd.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't you think you're stacking the deck in one direction vs another? You can educate children as to what people believe without guiding them into belief. I don't know if I actually understood what I was supposed to believe until about 10 or so and if my mother had told me that some people don't believe I think I would have understood. I went to a church function today. I love the tradition, enjoy the music (Baptist), and the feeling of community but haven't "believed" since about 14 or so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads