Agnostics and Atheists - do you ever pray?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by suited, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Nah, never pray. It doesn't do anything for me so what's the point?

2. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I don't pray but I'm stubbornly superstitious.

3. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

Only to Mammon, dear.

4. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean Senior member

I don't pray, I'm an atheist.

5. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Metro's post is sort of what I'm getting at. For instance, an atheist praying on a plane that's about to go down. What does it say about human nature, core beliefs, truth, etc? Are they praying for that outside chance, or are they praying for some other reason?

I think it says more about ingrained training from our youth than anything else.

6. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    I didn't pray when I had a gun held to my head and if I was ever going to do it that would have been the time.

Had a very religious upbringing but never understood what all the fuss was about.

7. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

Metro's post is sort of what I'm getting at. For instance, an atheist praying on a plane that's about to go down. What does it say about human nature, core beliefs, truth, etc? Are they praying for that outside chance, or are they praying for some other reason?

If anything it just reaffirms that religion and belief in god stems from fear rather than reality.

8. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I only pray when I want something unrealistic. Never prayed in life-threatening situations, but have regularly asked to win the lottery. Fight illogical with illogical.

9. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

I am consistently surprised at how rational and undramatic my mind is when I'm in life-threatening situations. I guess religious people like to think that 'deep down' or something we believe in a diety or whatever that exposes itself when we're vulnerable, but I haven't found that to be true at all. Some researcher compiled all of the recordings from cockpits of crashed planes during WWII... do you know what the singular most common last words of those pilots were? "oh shit."

I once represented a man accused of raping his niece. While waiting for the jury verdict his family asked if I would join them in prayer. Since they had paid over $20K for the trial I figured I owed it to them to do so and I mouthed the Lord's Prayer with them but in no way did I actually mean what was said.

Don't leave us hanging, what happened?

10. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Don't leave us hanging, what happened?

Acquitted, but I reckon it had less to do with the intervention of Jesus than my cross examination skills.

11. suited

suited Senior member

I think it says more about ingrained training from our youth than anything else.

What about those that were not raised in a religious household, yet have prayed under certain circumstances?

If anything it just reaffirms that religion and belief in god stems from fear rather than reality.

And if the circumstances were not fearful?

12. cross22

cross22 Senior member

Never. I was once in a terrible life and death situation and asked myself if I should pray. The answer was immediate and clear: No. Also, from touching the void:
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

13. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Has something occurred in your life, or in another person's life that has caused you to say a prayer?

As a previously religious person, I prayed regularly.

However, prayer never worked except in one general case. The only time Prayer worked for me when I was praying for another person who I thought was sick, didn't like, was abusive, etc. and whom I was typically going to confront or had to deal with (co worker, parents, etc.). I realized that this "praying" almost always brought about a positive outcome from the situation and then I had the awareness as to why this "praying" was working.

First, it was putting me in a place of humility because I was acknowledging that the other person was sick, had issues, whatever and that I needed to treat them as an equal despite their shortcomings, especially since I have shortcomings as well and may have acted like them at some point.

Second, it also made me realize that the other person was just human and I had no idea why they were acting the way they were. Maybe they were in pain, maybe they were acting out childhood trauma, maybe they came from atrocious conditions growing up, maybe they were physically abused, etc.

So, as I would confront or deal with the other person the prayer put me in a humble place and took the other off of a pedestal thus making any confrontation or dealings with the other much more peaceful, non judgmental, non confrontational, etc. I realized that it wasn't god but me doing the work.

So, as an agnostic atheist, this is one area where "prayer" actually works. Although, that's about it. Unless one considers prayer a form of meditation (which I do) then that's a different story (and a different thread topic).

14. Bane

Bane Active Member

I pray when in genuine fear for my life, and only then. No matter how strong my idealism, I eagerly trade in personal pride for the infinitesimal chance that God is listening and willing to help me out for some reason that only he knows. Then I realize it was just some turbulence and I put God back in my pocket next to the credit card and the condom, patiently waiting side by side for the next time they may be called upon.

This.

I was raised in private Christian schools and church every Sunday. Hard to shake a thorough brainwashing. I do the best I can.

15. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

And if the circumstances were not fearful?

Then it's hope for something that is beyond their control but at the same time the prayer gives them a sense of control. It works as a self defense mechanism, a somewhat effective but potentially harmful one.