• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aglio e olio

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How do you make it? Wondering what the best way to do it would be without doing a half-dozen controlled trials in the kitchen would be.
laugh.gif
Bottom line is I'm not getting enough garlic flavor infused into the oil as I'd like. I used to crush the garlic and let it sit in warm oil for a while (think i got that out of hazan's book). Lately I've tried putting the oil on medium with 6-7 cloves of sliced garlic at the same time as I put the spaghettini on and it's done at the same time as the pasta. Has anyone tried to infuse the oil with garlic overnight? Lets just say i really like garlic... I tend to top it with copious amounts of parmigiano too.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Every time I see someone mention this, this is the image that comes to mind:
Beastie_Boys_-_Aglio_e_Olio.jpg

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Every time I see someone mention this, this is the image that comes to mind:
Beastie_Boys_-_Aglio_e_Olio.jpg

can't say i follow, but ok..

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
How do you make it?

Wondering what the best way to do it would be without doing a half-dozen controlled trials in the kitchen would be.
laugh.gif
Bottom line is I'm not getting enough garlic flavor infused into the oil as I'd like.

I used to crush the garlic and let it sit in warm oil for a while (think i got that out of hazan's book). Lately I've tried putting the oil on medium with 6-7 cloves of sliced garlic at the same time as I put the spaghettini on and it's done at the same time as the pasta.

Has anyone tried to infuse the oil with garlic overnight? Lets just say i really like garlic... I tend to top it with copious amounts of parmigiano too.

That's a lot of garlic, lol. I suppose heating the garlic chips over lower heat longer could get more into your oil without obliterating the garlic chips.
I usually throw in few of those whole peperoncino intero dried red chiles in lieu of crushed chili flakes as well.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
can't say i follow, but ok..
What's hard to follow? I knew of the Beastie Boys long before I became familiar with rustic Italian cuisine.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
aglio ed olio: warm oil in a pan with whole, peeled garlic cloves cut in half. just a couple. toss in some a dried red pepper if you want. cook until the garlic is lightly browned all over. discard the garlic and the pepper and use the oil to dress the pasta. good with a little chopped parsley over top.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
aglio ed olio: warm oil in a pan with whole, peeled garlic cloves cut in half. just a couple. toss in some a dried red pepper if you want. cook until the garlic is lightly browned all over. discard the garlic and the pepper and use the oil to dress the pasta. good with a little chopped parsley over top.

this is a really gross slip up, considering the subject matter.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
This is how I do it. Letting raw garlic infuse in warm oil for a long period of time is not the smartest...

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
this is a really gross slip up, considering the subject matter.

gross but correct, I'm afraid. At least I didn't recommend adding morels.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
This is how I do it. Letting raw garlic infuse in warm oil for a long period of time is not the smartest...

what heat are you guys cooking on and for how long? I understand the till light brown thing but depending on temp between different stoves it could take one guy 5 minutes and the other guy more or less to get to the same color.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
what heat are you guys cooking on and for how long? I understand the till light brown thing but depending on temp between different stoves it could take one guy 5 minutes and the other guy more or less to get to the same color.
Feel the force, geek.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
medium-low ... you don't want too high or it'll scorch the oil. it'll take 5-7 minutes to color the garlic.

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
Method I learned from my zia in Palermo in 2008:

Take a skillet....warm olive oil in skillet....take one head of garlic and with a grater, grate all cloves of garlic very finely.....add to olive oil, along with pepenroncini to taste...leave on low heat for 10 minutes....add handful fresh chopped prezzemolo, salt......toss the pasta in the skillet....eat.

Buon appetito...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads