AGJiffy's Wall Street Indiviudally Modified Conservative Business Dress Week Threak

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Griffyndor, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

There is a pretty broad range of what is acceptable. I would say the i-bankers generally dress as you suggest, although there are some clients that are pretty casual and where those items would look out of place and the i-bankers adjust. I would say that the large law firms generally dress as you suggest but permit quite a bit of personal variation. I would say that the alternative investment firms have absolutely no rules outside of those who are marketing, and they dress "up", but that can mean anything from the suits you suggest to a jacket/tie combo to - the worst look in the world - the suit with no tie.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016

2. P-K-L

P-K-L Senior member

Sorry your ass fit sucks bigtime (I mean that half-belted ugly french beast), I do not talk to you
    I am here to get money from teh boss

3. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

So, what I get from this:

I-Bankers: suit and tie
    Lawyers: suit and tie
    Clients: can show up in something more casual
    Alternative investment firms: ranges

If this thread is ostensibly about how to dress for a WS job where your precious bonus won't get deducted, why do we have SC + trouser combos? The first two are suit-and-tie restrictive, clients are outside the discussion, and alternative investment firms are largely permissive.

5. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

Well, because you don't get your bonus reduced for veering slightly off course in the way you dress. That would be absurd. You get to bend rules in ways that aren't offensive. You don't think people get to express themselves in a CBD environment? It isn't like I'm showing everyone the ugly-ass P-K-L on my forehead.

6. dieworkwear

Wait, really? You would wear an unusual SC + trouser combo (pagoda shoulders, triple patch pockets, peak lapel SBs) in an all-suit environment, and you think a folded white linen pocket square is too dandy? And a little shirring on the sleeveheads of a suit would raise eyebrows?

7. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

I continue to read in disbelief at the attempts to systematize and digest this into a usable rubric, beginning to wonder if D.W. has Asperger's or has ascended to the apotheosis of mafoofan-inspired trolldom.

8. Jim Chu

Jim Chu Senior member

Wall Street firms are all over the place these days. Some firms are completely dress down and others are suited up - and still departments within firms have different dress codes sometimes. And then you have summer casual and summer Friday casual at most places in effect now. From my experience, law department and investment management personnel (i.e., portfolio managers, hedge fund managers and analyst) tend to suit it up on a regular basis and institutional sales, marketing and retail brokers tend to be more sporty and playful ....and the tech people tend to be......you know, they have their own culture.

But one thing is for sure at most places for many people at certain levels- you'd better make sure you have on a formal conservative suit if you have a major client meeting or some other executive level meeting, like a board/trustees/directors meeting or something like that. That's why many higher-level persons are always suited up. The sport coat look isn't going to cut it in that environment at many places. Maybe you can do it, but you're going to be noticed. I know people that keep formal suits, sport coats, shirts and ties in their offices, just in case they get that call to head to the 80th floor to see the big guy/gal...

I think many law firms on Wall Street, once dressed-down are back in suits again.

9. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Predicting a forthcoming blog article on monograms in 1-2 weeks.

10. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

11. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Mods, please delete Jim Chu's post. It is against the spirit of the thread

12. dieworkwear

When you say some places dress down, do you mean

1. Mainly people in SC + trousers
    2. Mainly people in button-up shirt and chinos
    3. Mainly people in casualwear/ sportswear (including being able to wear jeans)
    4. A mix of all the above

13. Jim Chu

Jim Chu Senior member

I think 1 and 2 mostly; rarely 3.

14. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

You're forgetting button-up shirt and dress slacks, probably the most prevalent combo.

15. Jim Chu

Jim Chu Senior member

I was afraid I'd be the focus of your wrath one day...