AGJiffy's Wall Street Indiviudally Modified Conservative Business Dress Week Threak

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Griffyndor, Jun 12, 2016.

1. P-K-L

P-K-L Senior member

[​IMG]

All handmade. Will you please paypal me the €20?

2. Dirt

Dirt Senior member

This thread is above my pay grade but has been the best read in recent memory. Carry on.

3. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

#Sprout2: Having children is my motivation for hiding my monogram. You should focus on the unique aspects of your life and decide what those say about a monogram in relation to your personal style, just like P-K-L did below.

What I do should have no bearing. Don't you see? This thread isn't about doing what I do. This thread is about finding the unique aspects that make you who you are as an individual and expressing yourself through personal style in a way that I determine to be appropriate. You can't just do what I do. Look - Vox dressing like Vox is Vox's personal style. 25 other guys dressing like Vox is also Vox's personal style.

#P-K-L: This is despicable. You need to find a way to tamp down your urges and to resist pompous displays like that unbearable mid-chest monogram. Do you know what else, like that monogram, is all hand-sewn? Stitches for bitches who show up with that shit in my neighborhood, which is wall street.

Mods can you please move P-K-L's posts and profile to FilmNoirBuff.

4. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

ensemble

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  5. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

It's because the fit of your fit isn't fitting, causing you to not fit in. I wouldn't look twice if you wore this fit to see some ensemble play Bach or Bruckner, though.

6. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

Whilst I commend you on the fit of that jacket, it looks to have been orphaned from a suit. Peak lapel, one button with a ticket pocket as an odd jacket is bordering on dandy for me. Also, the incongruence between the trousers and the jacket colors is a bit jarring.

7. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Bad trouser and jacket combo; peak lapel, one-button SB jacket (although, that seems just as dandy as your pagoda shouldered, triple patch pocket choice yesterday); and most of all, a really ugly tie.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  8. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

French style is maligned to never be understood by a wider audience.

9. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

Finally a decent contribution to the thread from DWW.

10. Caustic Man

If by decent you mean obvious. Not that it didn't warrant saying.

11. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Maybe the tie was a gift from a boss? Wearing it could increase bonus potential. Like not sleeping with the boss's son

12. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

The two aren't mutually exclusive, Caustic Man. What I mean is that the other things DWW mentions don't really seem to be drawing attention outside of the internet, although this tie is definitely getting some snickers. The tie is so loud that I probably forced the conclusion that I wanted a little bit (maybe if the tie had been equally ugly but less bright?). That being said, a pretty decent portion of my jackets are one-buttoned. Very few are peak lapel. And while this is a jacket that I love and plan to wear all the time, it is something I didn't purchase with work in mind.

13. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I've never worked on Wall Street, but are SC + trouser combos actually acceptable? I would have thought a typical work uniform would be a navy or charcoal suit.

Probably should cc' @gdl203 since he actually worked there.

14. fassbinder

fassbinder Senior member

top fit for wall street mail room or back office IT support.

15. Caustic Man

Maybe if it had been a large-paisley tie in a muted color it would have warranted a more introspective answer.

I would be interested to hear the answer to this. I know a grand total of one person IRL who actually works on Wall Street and he has given me the impression that SC/trousers are a no-go. He's just one person though.