AGJiffy's Wall Street Indiviudally Modified Conservative Business Dress Week Threak

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Griffyndor, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Nice.

My impression is that wide spread or cutaway collars with a tall collar band aren’t very Wall Street these days. They seem to have disappeared along with contrast collars and fanciful Hermès ties around the time of the onset of the Great Recession. And they are enough of a departure not to count as just an “individual modification.” I rank them alongside pocket squares in that respect.

I’d be interested if someone currently in the business could either confirm or disconfirm.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

In that case, I don't understand what's WSIMCBD. CBD with a bit more expression of personal style? Because that's also within the confines of CBD.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/230619/cbd-waywrn-an-experiment/180_20#post_4229735

It's basically tasteful expressions of personal style within the confines of a conservative business environment. Not just blue/ grey suits + white shirt + dark tie with repeating geometric shapes.

3. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

Your socks have to match your trousers. This isn't the dandy thread. You don't want to lose your bonus.

4. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

^ But what if socks are how I individually modify my WSCBD. What's in bounds? Other than non-affected monogramming?

5. dieworkwear

Incidentally, this practice of trying to deduce what's appropriate "Wall Street dress" by a bunch of non-Wall Street bankers is about as weird as people who fetishize academic dress from movies they've seen about English professors.

6. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

That's why I'm here. You need a celebrated Wall Street veteran to tell you what will and won't get your bonus reduced. And I have no interest in trying to determine what's appropriate for Wall Street. That's CBD.

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

If someone notices sock garters, will that affect bonuses on WS?

8. dieworkwear

Not if they're monogrammed for the benefit of the wearer's children.

9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

I know I never went back, despite the fact that these don't come with a monogramming service.

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

does this count?

[​IMG]

11. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

Man this thread reminds me of bygone days.

Is Foo's Hermes green breast wallet part of WSIMCBD?

12. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

13. PaintSplattered

PaintSplattered Senior member

I agree with this, and by saying this I'm not looking down of people. I didn't know what specific things I liked or didn't like about a suit or sport coat until I started to seek out the specific details. They either looked good or bad.

And sometimes a pocket square shouts "look at me, look at me!" I think Lordsuperb does a great job avoiding this pitfall.

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Ruling on the field - Moral Squirrel will be allowed.

Hmmm... this will require additional review. On one hand, definitely it's reminiscent of your moniker. On the other hand, the "poker" part of it makes it more funny, at least to my juvenile mind. This will require additional judicial review.

15. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

What if I don't have children? What if I'm impotent?

I came out of the womb wearing OTC ribbed navy socks and will continue to do so with everything. Occasionally I reach for brown or olive when I'm really of a mind to tear shit up. Fortunately, I pay my own bonuses.

Well, that really rolled off the tongue, there. It must be challenging to navigate the streets of San Francisco and distinguish those of proper breeding. Is blogging old money? What about a tattooed monogram on the nipple area? Would that be gauche?

If I wear no pocket square or any other fripperies but wear these (the monogram is below the waist, technically), can I be admitted to the Round Table? Is this CBD?