AGJiffy's Wall Street Indiviudally Modified Conservative Business Dress Week Threak

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Griffyndor, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

Lordsuperb - what a fine way to start the dialogue. Rather than answering the question you asked, let me answer the question you meant to ask, which is:

how do we evaluate Mariano's ensemble from a WSIMCBD perspective?

To start with, the fit of his ensemble is spot on (at caustic man do you now see why we have to use "fit" only in the way that I am using it!? At LAGuy do you now see that this is my thread and I will use whatever callout method I deem FIT? At caustic man do you now see how much time we are wasting on the word "fit"?). That is important. It is true that you're bonus will not be reduced because of poor fit, but it is also true that no one makes a choice to have poor fitting clothing. So poor fitting ensembles are inconsistent with WSIMCBD.

Now, some of the CBD sycophants might say something like "Mariano's suit is in a shade of blue that is too aggressive for CBD." But those of us who practice WSIMCBD know that the color is close enough to navy so as not to result in a reduction of bonus. Those out of the know will mistake it for navy, which is good.

The problem from perspective however is his pocket circle (until the shape can be proven those of us who practice WSIMCBD assume it's a circle). In my view, a pocket circle, or square, is problematic. They are pure flair and on wall street, or any other street, when you start to express your personal style through pure flare you venture into the territory of the dandy. And everyone knows that dandyies would rather be doing anything other than work. Dandiess like short work days with little do and long nights with excessive drinking. Dandies get their bonus reduced.

I should note here that one could wear a pocket circle on wall street and also be something other than a dandy: one could also be (a) a purveyor in a shoppe in which pocket cirlces are sold to dandies, temporarily passing through wall street or (b) a product of a bygone era. Mariano could qualify as both.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  2. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

3. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

i can name all of like a dozen people on the street who would even know what a spalla camicia is. i don't think anyone would give a flying f*** about shoulder expression...and if they did i would tell them to get back to work.

4. gs77

gs77 Senior member

Shirt monograms are often seen on cuffs, even collars. At least since commoditization of shirt MTM business.
    From distance they resolve to shirt with food stains.

5. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

I agree that these are frequently seen. That point I don't mean to debate. However, I stand by my impression of them. I like the food stain analogy.

6. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Use "fit" how you like, but ensemble? You had better hope you can come up with something better than that.

7. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

[​IMG]

I was not privy to the original discussion so I don't know the particulars, but do you really work on the street of the walls, agjiffy? Your obvious talents are lost on such a shithole.

8. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

No - I don't work anywhere near wall street. I'm just using that as jumping off point for what has so far been a very boring, nonsensical and lonely conversation about personal style and why some people like some things and not others and whether or not there are any rules that should be respected and how we might bend them in good or bad ways and why. And since those are all serious topics of conversation I'm trying to bring in something with a little bit of levity, like how people are supposed to be treated on internet forums and the real world and why the current generation of 20 somethings is so unbearable.

To be honest, I thought the wall street thing would be a good way to engage others because my sense is that a lot of people that post here work on wall street (whatever that means). I have no experience with any of that. I'm a nuclear physicist but people won't find it engaging if I talk about nuclear physics because its too complex and serious. I won't tell you where I live.

9. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

You can distinguish the financiers from 300 miles away.

The 20 somethings are unbearable because all of the organic food has weakened their cells, we are hardier because of sustained exposure to GMOs and Brylcreem.

From the looks of your foyer I'm hoping the rest of your house is spartan and devoid of furniture. It would give us something in common. We could be internet "bros." My home is empty save for all of the computers that sustain my life and the rooms full of clothing. I eat powdered donuts over the kitchen sink & the rest of the meals outside.

I notice you have ingeniously positioned your smartphone right over your breast pocket, so that the excited audience can speculate on whether you do, in fact, wear the abhorrent silk handkerchief or eschew it altogether. Kudos

10. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

I do not wear a pocket circle and for the remaining four days of this thread I will pay keen attention to my hand position when I take the picture so that both people who are reading this can see as much. I say in all seriousness, that while my position in the other thread on spalla camicia was, in retrospect, overstated, I have in fact personally witnessed during my ongoing time on Wall Street jokes being cracked at the expense of whatever out-of-town yokel showed up for a business meeting with a pocket circle.

My own view, as I think I stated above, is that a piece of fabric stuffed in your pocket serves no purpose other than ornamentation, and that makes it inappropriate for a business setting, where one should not be displaying ornaments. I also don't wear a buttonniere for the same reason.

11. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

This seems like a really overwrought post for what's essentially CBD with a shirt monogram that nobody will see.

12. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

What in the world is going on here....

13. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

Finally someone who gets it. Thank you dieworkwear.

14. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

Hi there. I've moved all of your posts to the new Menswear Advice Forum, where you'll get more useful advice and where other members with similar questions can benefit from your having asked.

15. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

But seriously, why do you think spalla camicia would be shunned in a business context, but not pagoda shoulders? The shirring on a sleevehead can be so subtle that it's barely noticeable when worn. Pagoda shoulders, on the other hand, are a lot more in your face (and distinctive in a room full of soft-shouldered American suits).

Your jacket even has triple patch pockets.