• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AGJiffy's Wall Street Indiviudally Modified Conservative Business Dress Week Threak

• Thread starter Griffindork
  • Start date
  • Watchers 40

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You obviously didn't hear the slurring of my words due to the fact that my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek.
satisfied.gif

Of course I did. As the kids would say "I'm just saying..."

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm curious to know how much prep and/or spousal assistance goes into the pics for the serious posters? There are only so many hours in the day. Thinking of @Claghorn
 @Andy57
 @upr_crust
 @DiplomaticTies

Speaking for myself, prep time depends on what strikes my fancy in terms of what I want to wear on a given day. I do choose what I wear, during the week, the night before, and depending on how complicated a sartorial fandango I wish to perpretrate, the whole process takes between five and fifteen minutes, on average. Spousal assistance extends only to my technologically obsessed husband's excellent taste in camera equipment (a Canon G1X, I believe) - a tripod and a timer in the camera do the rest, save for "lifestyle" photos, which he kindly offers to take at the merest hint that I might want one.

G

Griffindork

^ did you guys ever see Vox's photo tutorial from back in Styleforum's golden days? I don't follow it myself but it is pretty easy and supposedly how he gets all those great pics.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm curious to know how much prep and/or spousal assistance goes into the pics for the serious posters? There are only so many hours in the day. Thinking of @Claghorn @Andy57 @upr_crust @DiplomaticTies
Getting dressed and taking a picture is all under 10 minutes for me.

I generally sort of have an idea of what I am going to wear. Sunday nights I'll often have the squares and ties picked out (with the squares quickly tucked into the jacket pocket and the tie draped over the shoulder). So in the morning:

3-4 minutes getting dressed. When I go into the closet, I also bring out the tripod which I keep at the needed height.
Place the camera on the tripod and position it (15 seconds)
Move in front of the camera and take a picture to check framing and lighting (20 seconds)
Adjust framing and lighting (20 seconds)
Take four quick pictures (30 seconds)
Take out memory card, put it into my computer, and email myself the pictures (2 minutes)
Process the pictures on my phone with some basic app (1.5 minutes)

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to know how much prep and/or spousal assistance goes into the pics for the serious posters? There are only so many hours in the day. Thinking of @Claghorn @Andy57 @upr_crust
@DiplomaticTies

I generally rise around 4:30am to be at work by 9am. Over coffee and breakfast I check the weather forecast and review my fit spreadsheet for approximately the previous two weeks to try to get a rough idea of what is eligible that day. I cross-reference the fit spreadsheet with my inventory database (as it does me no good to select something that is at the cleaners, say). I try to narrow it down to only 4-5 options. After performing all necessary ablutions, around 5:30 I do a couple of trial runs of the options I identified earlier. Ideally, something works and I can move forward. If nothing seems to be working, I go back to my inventory database and try to work up some more options. At this point, the pressure is beginning to rise, as starting over can lead to a severe time crunch.

Generally speaking I can get a workable fit by around 7am. I then have about 45-60 minutes to dress, get the right knot in my tie, get the pocket square arranged to my satisfaction, and so on. Then I allot about 30 minutes for picture taking and curation. I usually shoot around 100 frames which I edit down to the best 3-4 for posting here and on Instagram. So, I'm ready to leave for work by 8:30am for the 25 minutes drive through the teeth of Silicon Valley traffic.

I had assumed that my process was pretty similar to many here.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait...you guys don't hire professional photographers to meet you at your homes at 6 a.m. every morning to photograph you on the way out the door to work???????!!?!?!?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait...you guys don't hire professional photographers to meet you at your homes at 6 a.m. every morning to photograph you on the way out the door to work???????!!?!?!?

Of course I tried that. But if things aren't working out it's just one more source of stress. Photographers are such prima donnas, y'know?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:I thought the same thing. I sense seriousness. Thanks all for the replies. I recently moved and went from a 75-90 minute one-way commute to a 20 minute one-way. The extra sleep and free time are life changing. Still, way too much prep for good photos. Will use new-found time to run, cycle, read by pool, and flop in previously mentioned pool. Will save most fit pics for old/gray/feeble time when I can't run anymore.
mwink[1].gif

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics