1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

AGJiffy's Wall Street Indiviudally Modified Conservative Business Dress Week Threak

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Griffyndor, Jun 12, 2016.

1. gs77

gs77 Senior member

I didn't get any answer to one of my questions. Is security guard chique acceptable on WS? Is it considered as conservative as charcoal suit or will it result in pay reduction?

2. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

International soccer is amazing. National teams playing for their country rather than for some billionaire club owner. Rushed home in the heat and humidity to catch Germany game last night and rumpled my Friday Challenge suit severely. I think I'm giving up on fit pics. Too hard to get right.

3. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Oh, soccer. That's why I haven't heard about it.

4. gs77

gs77 Senior member

No, I think he was talking about football.

5. gs77

gs77 Senior member

6. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

Will likley supplant football (the trogladytic American version) in a generation or two.

The players all dress like lounge lizards after the game, though. That or they wear Zegna Sport.

[​IMG]

7. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Caustic only speaks Murrican - the concept of "football" as it's played outside of the USA is totally foreign to him.

8. Caustic Man

I've been hearing that for 20 years. Every time the World Cup comes along the story is always about how at some undetermined time in the future Americans will really get into soccer. Then after it's all over no one cares anymore. The problem as I see it is that Americans have no real soccer culture of their own. Every time I see American soccer fans they are always acting just like British people. You know, the scarves the chants, etc. The sport will only really get popular in this country if Americans ever decide to actually create something of their own with it.

On the contrary, my father is a Mexican national and forced me to watch that insufferable bore of a game on far too many occasions.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  9. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

You obviously didn't hear the slurring of my words due to the fact that my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek. :satisfied:

1 person likes this.
  10. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

America rarely creates something of it's own. America takes things other people have started and makes it 50 times bigger, sometimes better, and certainly louder while completely refusing to acknowledge anything that happened before their interest...

I say all of this as an American soccer fan and there is a lot of truth in what you say about the Anglophile nature of American fans. The Premier League is obviously the most relatable to the US market as the announcers speak English and there is the "tradition" of the game there. Things are moving along though. I live in Cincinnati where the new minor league soccer team here is averaging 20,000 fans a game. Progress, eh?

1 person likes this.
  11. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Halftime shows?

12. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

Exactly! Anyway, math is math. Fewer and fewer parents are letting their sons play football from what I read. The concussion danger is too great. A little wishful thinking surely, but soccer is creeping up fast.

Anyway, back to modified CBD. I was angling to be a daily "fit pic" contributor but am waving off. I end up wearing fairly conservative stuff and act out on one item only per day. Suit, shirt, tie or maybe a PS can be plaid, loud stripe, funky pattern, etc. but everything else ends up conservative. In winter I will wear plaid overcoats and loud scarves but nothing too unique. Tweed sport coats when I can get away with it.

I'm curious to know how much prep and/or spousal assistance goes into the pics for the serious posters? There are only so many hours in the day. Thinking of @Claghorn @Andy57 @upr_crust @DiplomaticTies

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  13. coldinboston

coldinboston Senior member

Ecuador has a soccer team?

1 person likes this.
  14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Perfectly acceptable. Pretty much anything in conservative colours is acceptable. Khakis on Fridays only, but grey or navy chinos can fly under the radar the rest of the week. Brown shoes of any variety are OK in NY, black leather shoes of any variety in London, except for casual Friday's again, when anything goes.

It's not rocket science, and definitely not suit science.

15. Caustic Man

Of course I did. As the kids would say "I'm just saying..."

1 person likes this.
  16. Caustic Man

This forum is a counterargument to that claim. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Speaking for myself, prep time depends on what strikes my fancy in terms of what I want to wear on a given day. I do choose what I wear, during the week, the night before, and depending on how complicated a sartorial fandango I wish to perpretrate, the whole process takes between five and fifteen minutes, on average. Spousal assistance extends only to my technologically obsessed husband's excellent taste in camera equipment (a Canon G1X, I believe) - a tripod and a timer in the camera do the rest, save for "lifestyle" photos, which he kindly offers to take at the merest hint that I might want one.

1 person likes this.
  18. Caustic Man

Lucky... My wife couldn't take a decent picture to save my life.

2 people like this.
  19. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Tell him the forum loves the lifestyle photos.

3 people like this.