Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Aftershaves

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by gregokay, Jan 24, 2005.

1. gregokay

gregokay Member

I am looking at using a new aftershave (from the supermarket, I'm still a poor student) and the newer products all say either "aftershave gel" or "aftershave lotion." Some lines even have both types.

What is the difference between the two? Which would be better for sensitive skin?

Thanks

2. Wedge

Wedge Member

My nose is real sensative so I don't use any sort of fragarances and actually have used Olay moisturizer as aftershave. I was happy with the result. Don't know if anyone else has tried that.

3. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Senior member

Gels and lotions are different kinds of consistencies. Neither is necessarily better for sensitive skin, although lotions generally are more moisturizing than gels.

If you are looking for an aftershave (also labeled "toner" instead of aftershave sometimes) and you have sensitive skin you simply need to read the ingredient lists and avoid any with such unnecessary irritants such as denatured alcohol, menthol, peppermint, eucalyptus, camphor, or essential/fragrant/volatile oils.

Of course good aftershaves/toners are rare and an optional step anyway, so many people skip it and go straight to applying the aftershave balm/moisturizer/sunscreen.

4. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

don't bother with aftershave. splash with cold water, then use moisturizer if you want to.

5. alaaro

alaaro Senior member

I have been using Sharps Kid Glove Hydrating Gel After-Shave for a while now, after a recommendation at the Grooming Lounge here in DC. It is amazing, and my skin has never been better. It's a little pricey ($16 for 2.5 oz), but it goes a long way. I shave daily and have had the same tube of it for almost 2 months.

6. Horace

Horace Senior member

Pinaud aftershave (a brand used by James Bond) can be found at many American pharmacies on the East Coast

7. cloud9eleet

cloud9eleet Senior member

I have used the Aveda Mens Aftershave balm for about 4 years, great product. The bottle is $13.00 and lasts for 6 months or so. I just switched two weeks ago (just to try something new) and opted for Jack Black "Post Shave Cooling Gel" which is $17.00 for a bottle. I picked Jack Black after looking/smelling/testing the 10 or so brands Sephora had to offer. I shave every morning and have very sensitve skin and will get razor burn if I dont use some sort of aftershave. With the Aveda and now JB products, razor burn is never a problem. Aveda: http://tinyurl.com/6y5b4 Jack Black http://tinyurl.com/5pvhd