Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Aftershave - using an electric shaver

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by diplomatic_lies, Apr 1, 2003.

1. diplomatic_lies

diplomatic_lies Member

Just wondering, is it necessary to use an aftershave when using an electric shaver?

I use an electric one (Philshaver), and since there isn't the need to put on foam, I was wondering whether using an aftershave would be helpful or necessary.

2. diplomatic_lies

diplomatic_lies Member

Anyone? 34 views and not a reply? Just a yes or no would be nice [​IMG]

3. GQ Lawyer

GQ Lawyer Senior member

Aftershave is supposed to be a "soother" for your skin, although I have never seen how slapping on alcohol can be a soother? Personally, I don't use aftershave with a straight razor or an electric. The alcohol tends to dry the skin. Instead, I use Kiehl's non-alcoholic facial toner, and, yes, I do use it after an electric shave.

4. diplomatic_lies

diplomatic_lies Member

Thanks.

I tend to use mosturizer myself, although I wasn't sure what the purpose of aftershave was.

5. ulf

ulf Well-Known Member

I suppose the reason for using after shave is that the alcohol is an astringent as well as an antibacterial? If you need that, it's better to try other products though.

Anyway, I don't think I've ever met anyone who did use after shave after shaving. Most use moisturizer if they use anything IME.