• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

After shave and facial moisturizer

nordicstyle

Reaction score
What are your opinions on after shave and facial moisturizers? If I use one, would I need the other? Should I use both? If not, which would be preferred?

Currently I shave before showering, then wash my face in the shower with facial cleanser and use moisturizer after the shower. Should I add a after shave somewhere in there, or is that only meant for when shaving "outside" of showers/face washing and/or for people who don't use moisturizer?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It depends on your needs. In summer I use witch hazel and nothing else post-shave. In winter I add some balm after the witch hazel, but it depends on how my face feels before you walk about the door.

Because each product is different, you'll need to experiement and see what works for you. Some aftershaves also moisturize, some don't.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Some aftershaves also moisturize, some don't.

Yeah, that's what I noticed. Hence the question. But what's the point of an aftershave if it doesn't moisturize? Only to smell good? I think that's why I never used one, because in my head aftershave equals cheap smell.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use this - it does both (calm the skin and moisturize)

real.jpg

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
Yeah, that's what I noticed. Hence the question. But what's the point of an aftershave if it doesn't moisturize? Only to smell good? I think that's why I never used one, because in my head aftershave equals cheap smell.

IMHO, there are aftershaves such as Musgo (see below), Proraso, DR Harris, etc. that are made to soothe freshly-scraped skin. Then there are 'aftershaves' which are part of a fragrance line - made to be weaker than an Edt and sometimes pretty darn cheap in every sense of the word.

For instance - I use Thayer's Medicated Witch Hazel. It soothes the areas where I scrape too much and disinfects any open cuts. Within a few seconds, I feel better. If I want a touch more I go with Trumper's skin food, or Proraso balm. These all have light fragrances that are gone by the time you leave the house.

Originally Posted by gdl203
I use this - it does both (calm the skin and moisturize)

real.jpg

I've heard Musgo is fantastic. Scared to try it though, at least until I use up what I already have.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
I actually bought a Nivea Aftershave Balm thingy today. Not sure why, but I thought I'd give it a try. I'm guessing it's pretty much an aftershave with a buildt-in moisturizer.
smile.gif
I can see the point of using stuff that contains tea tree oil and aloe vera or other natural ingredients to cool the skin and ease cuts, etc. though. When I do the face wash after shaving it sometimes stings a little, but by the time I dried my face and applied a moisturizer I'm all soft and smooth again.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you are shaving in the shower, then washing your face and applying a moisturizer, I don't see why you'd need an aftershave at all.

oxide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
What are your opinions on after shave and facial moisturizers? If I use one, would I need the other? Should I use both? If not, which would be preferred?

Currently I shave before showering, then wash my face in the shower with facial cleanser and use moisturizer after the shower. Should I add a after shave somewhere in there, or is that only meant for when shaving "outside" of showers/face washing and/or for people who don't use moisturizer?

Im going off topic here i know but i just have to say it:

Shaving before a shower and before a facewash? It just looks backwards to me.

1. Shower before u do anything with your skin. The hot water opens your pores and allows for any products to clean it up better. While it opens the pores it also lifts up the hairs too so shaving is easier.

2. Use the facewash in the shower. it cleans the skin and conditions it, makes it smoother and easier to shave.

If u can, shave during the shower.

Back on topic:
I use clinique's aftershave and i want 10 mins for it to soak in before i apply a moisturiser.

that Musgo Real stuff sounds really good. thanks
biggrin.gif

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oxide
1. Shower before u do anything with your skin. The hot water opens your pores and allows for any products to clean it up better. While it opens the pores it also lifts up the hairs too so shaving is easier.

I do wash my face with hot water before shaving. If I'm not in a hurry, I also use the facewash before shaving. I don't like to shave in the shower, but I prefer doing it before the shower rather than after, because then it's easier to wash off the shaving gel, and It's also a good opportunity to feel my face (while I wash it in the shower) to ensure the shave was clean. If anything is needs a "touch up", I either do it while in the shower or after.

Originally Posted by oxide
2. Use the facewash in the shower. it cleans the skin and conditions it, makes it smoother and easier to shave.
If I didn't bother to use it before shaving, I use it in the shower, yes.

After trying it out, I think aftershave is good for when you shave "outside" of showers, but if you shower after/during the shave, I don't think they are needed. Regular facewash and moisturizer seems to give pretty much the same result.

UFN

Reaction score
My routine is this.

1) Shower in hot water to clean and open skin pores
2) Shave with safety razor and Clinique Aloe Gel
3) Rinse gel off and splash face with very cold water to close skin pores
4) Apply after-shave of moisturizer as needed (I mostly use Clinique here as well)

That's worked well for me.

/U.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I shave in the shower to maximize the amount of time I spend in the shower. Also, it keeps the sink much cleaner. Lastly, I have this notion that if you shave at the very end of showering, then you allow your "beard" to maximally soften to a point that's hard to attain at the sink.

I then put on Anthony aftershave cream. I've found this to be the perfect aftershave: it moisturizes without being greasy at all, it has a light mint scent that's very neutral, and it has benzocaine as a topical anesthetic.

Since it's not lipid-based, it's good for hot or cold weather.

8-Ball

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
I shave in the shower to maximize the amount of time I spend in the shower. Also, it keeps the sink much cleaner. Lastly, I have this notion that if you shave at the very end of showering, then you allow your "beard" to maximally soften to a point that's hard to attain at the sink.

I then put on Anthony aftershave cream. I've found this to be the perfect aftershave: it moisturizes without being greasy at all, it has a light mint scent that's very neutral, and it has benzocaine as a topical anesthetic.

Since it's not lipid-based, it's good for hot or cold weather.

Anthony has great products. I will have to try this one.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used Kiehls facial fuel and aftershave/toner. I'm considering getting a preshave oil.

I tend to take pretty warm showers and then not dry my face right before shaving. Then rinse with warm water (if doing a second run) then with cold water when through. NExt, after shave goes one with a cotton pad. Finally I moisturize. I still get some irritation and as I have black skin I'm nervous of getting razor burn scars so would like to add pre shave oil to my routine.

tdangio

Reaction score
Shower first using Sharps Daily Prep Foaming Scrub, California North Gelskin Scrub, or Baxter of California daily wash
Shave with Brave Soldier Brave Shave
Apply Sharp's Daily Prep Skin Toner with a cotton pad to clean up any residue
Brave Soldier Code Blue as an aftershave
Baxter of California moisturizer if I feel like I need it

Always shower before the shave to open the pores and loosen hairs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads