• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Affordable tailors that have more of an Italian or English cut?

BDCook

Reaction score
I am looking for an affordable tailor that can do something in the Mr. Ned price range with more of an Italian or English cut.
From what I understand, Mr. Ned does much more of a sack suit style, and I am not a big fan of the American cut on my body.

Are there any other options in that price range, be it a NYC based tailor or a traveling tailor?

Thanks.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What about Eredi Pisano? They don't seem to get a lot of love here, but they always seem to have great stuff when I walk by, and I think they offer MTM. Might not be out of the range. Anyone know what their suits/sportcoats run on sale?

Is RTW not an option? Davide Cenci has great RTW suits.

jleeo225

Reaction score
While I am unsure about Mr. Ned's prices, I would suggest Ercole in terms of styling and affordability with respect to custom-made suits.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
What about Eredi Pisano? They don't seem to get a lot of love here, but they always seem to have great stuff when I walk by, and I think they offer MTM. Might not be out of the range. Anyone know what their suits/sportcoats run on sale?
Eredi Pisano suits are very cool and nicely cut (although some of their fabric/pattern choices are questionable) but they're really expensive. They do offer MTM in the Madison Ave store but I'm not sure what they charge. Definitely worth checking out for anyone who has not seen their stuff

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jleeo225
I would suggest Ercole in terms of styling and affordability with respect to custom-made suits.
A few freinds have been using Ercole for several years and are quite pleased, though they'd prefer he was in Manhattan. Ercole just may hit the sweet spot of NYC bespoke.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Adrian Jules can do that for a few hundred more than Ned, but if you go to the Rochester store. If you go to Herzfeld here in NYC (I think they are the only Jules dealer in the city), you'll pay about double Mr. Ned ($1800 or so)
You can actually order direct from AJ and work with the saleman who comes down to NYC every couple of months though they do prefer you go to Rochester.

I paid about 1500 - 1600 for a two-piece in H&S Target 120s.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frank Ercole made this blazer:
SF+Version+-+Ercole+Blazer.JPG

It's okay - could use a little more shape and the shoulders could be better. I'm trying one more jacket to see if he can really nail the pattern.

The cloth is a 9-10oz fresco.

Italian is spoken in the shop and the default is for a very well padded shoulder if that helps. Decorative stitches are extremely well done.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Eredi Pisano suits are very cool and nicely cut (although some of their fabric/pattern choices are questionable) but they're really expensive. They do offer MTM in the Madison Ave store but I'm not sure what they charge. Definitely worth checking out for anyone who has not seen their stuff

Yeah, they are expensive and someone said that Castagnia does their suits but I think they are wrong. Also there is the attitude. I was there the other day looking at suits and jackets. Saleswoman comes up and tells me that everything is 30% off ( I think suits retail for about 1600-1800). I said thanks and kept looking. She asks me if I've ever bought anything in the store. I said a tie. She kind of smirked and walked away out of sight.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had Ercole make a sportcoat for me 2 years ago. I was not crazy about the styling or the finishing. Fit was so so, not great. There is a big leap in terms of quality, workmanship, and fit between the more affordable NYC tailors and the top tier.

I have never ordered from Chan, but have seen several Chan garments and know several happy Chan customers. If I were to go with a more affordable tailor, I would give Chan a shot as my first choice. Without a doubt.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Yeah, they are expensive and someone said that Castagnia does their suits but I think they are wrong. Also there is the attitude. I was there the other day looking at suits and jackets. Saleswoman comes up and tells me that everything is 30% off ( I think suits retail for about 1600-1800). I said thanks and kept looking. She asks me if I've ever bought anything in the store. I said a tie. She kind of smirked and walked away out of sight.

I somewhat agree with the comment about salespeople attitude there, although if that was a real factor for me, I wouldn't buy much clothing in NYC... Specifically, I wouldn't buy a single piece at Saks

hugomano

Reaction score
Might want to try Bermini which won Citysearch award for best custom tailor in 2006. But they seem to be having some disgruntled customers recently due to service delays.

Also, try La Rukico in Manhattan.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads