Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Affordable Tailor in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by embi11, Mar 30, 2010.

1. embi11

embi11 Member

Hi all,

I have some interviews in Hong Kong and will need to get a new suit. I have a week/10 days between arriving and needing the suit and have a budget of HK$5000 max. It isn't much but it is all I can afford until I get offered a job!

Does anybody have any suggestions for a good tailors who can meet my needs? I know there are so many tailors and a large number of them do not offer very good quality tailoring. Since I will not have much time to shop around, it would be really useful to have some suggestions.

Thanks

Matt

2. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

What an original thread. I'm hoping to hear some opinions on this too!

3. embi11

embi11 Member

What an original thread. I'm hoping to hear some opinions on this too!

Hi, do you have any experience with tailors in HK?

4. teddieriley

Hi, do you have any experience with tailors in HK?

What's a tailor and what is "HK"?

Thx.

5. 599

599 Well-Known Member

Don't be sad teddieriley, are people not allowed on this forum anymore unless they have 500 internet friends?

Look at WW Chan, i am not too clued up on prices but know there are few people from HK on these forums

6. embi11

embi11 Member

Sorry. Let me spoon feed:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ight=hong+kong

Amazing what a simple title search will find, and additional searches one can do based on the info contained in these threads. Should I go on?

I had a look through quite a few previous threads and there is a lot of info about a lot of different tailors. I have a few names already but just wanted to hear if anyone knew of any particular tailors they thought were suitable for me at this price range and for this time window. And since the time it takes for someone to post a useful response if they happen to have one is no longer than the time it takes to post a sarcastic unhelpful one, I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

So thanks for your assistance. It begins to make sense why you spend so much time on here if you project such an arrogant image of yourself within moments of opening your mouth. What a twat.

7. teddieriley

8. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

embi11 - just try Peter Lee in the Far East Mansion in Kowloon for value and you'll be all set.

9. teddieriley

embi11 - just try Peter Lee in the Far East Mansion in Kowloon for value and you'll be all set.

I haven't used Peter Lee, but if one is new to MTM/bespoke tailoring, and only has a limited time, would you say the results will generally be better than a RTW option? From what I've read on SF, people with discerning requirements find they need to be very specific with PL. But assuming you don't know exactly what it is is you want or what sort of direction to give (besides I like RLPL, or here are some pics), that the results will be satisfactory?

10. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I haven't used Peter Lee, but if one is new to MTM/bespoke tailoring, and only has a limited time, would you say the results will generally be better than a RTW option? From what I've read on SF, people with discerning requirements find they need to be very specific with PL. But assuming you don't know exactly what it is is you want or what sort of direction to give (besides I like RLPL, or here are some pics), that the results will be satisfactory?

Good question. The more I think about it the more I think Peter just needs some direction to move away from his more traditional British cut to a new style (as would any tailor). He'll make a fine suit/jacket that will almost certainly be better than RTW, but it depends on the style you're looking for. It's good to stay on top of him a bit to make sure the details you want are taken care of, but you're not going to get an inferior product by letting him do his thing. It just depends on how specific you want your garment to be that should dictate the amount of direction to give.

Does that make sense?

11. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

If I were visiting HK with 10 days to kill, Peter Lee would be on my short list, along with a visit to Tassels to revel in all of the shoe pr0n.

12. emc894

emc894 Senior member

Best option is WW Chan. Around $1100 for a suit will fit you perfectly and has been compared to Canali in quality.

13. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

oooooooooooooooh, canali!

14. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Best option is WW Chan. Around $1100 for a suit will fit you perfectly and has been compared to Canali in quality.

Chan just had a very substantial price increase. I suspect the $1,100 "floor" for a two-piece suit from them is more like $1,200+ these days. They're still damn good values and great people to deal with but rather out of the OP's stated price range.

For HK tailors less expensive than Chan, I have favorably impressed by some of the work I have seen from Baron Kay.