1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Affordable Over the Calf Socks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by atct86, Feb 4, 2009.

1. atct86

atct86 Senior member

I have found that OTc socks are the only one that stay up. is that just me, or is that how socks work?

I tried the local TJ Maxx and Marshall's, but none had OTC.

Does anyone have any affordable recommendations? What about cotton vs wool?

2. NH_Clark

NH_Clark Senior member

some great deals to be had in the Buying and Selling forum on Talbott OTC. I'm a big fan of OTC and think the Talbott and Pantherella are great for the price.

3. bobbers

bobbers Senior member

You can also find Talbott OTC at Nordstrom Rack.

4. AJR Journal

AJR Journal Well-Known Member

The best you will ever buy!!

5. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

You can also find Talbott OTC at Nordstrom Rack.

For less than $6. Someone is selling them on B&S for 11/each.

6. card_richelieu

card_richelieu Senior member

7. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

If you aren't looking for colors/fancies and want them to last... plain old OTC by Gold Toe are at most department stores.

8. Irond Will

Irond Will Senior member

Yep. Gold Toe Windsor OTC (wool blend) are $6 per at the gold toe website. Available in black, navy, gray and brown. I just upgraded my entire sock wardrobe with these (I had a ton of identical but old CostCo black cotton crew socks) and a few others I found on steep discount on ebay.

9. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Senior member

Does anyone have any affordable recommendations? What about cotton vs wool?

Depends on what you mean by affordable. Do you mean good quality socks that will last a long time? Or simply the cheapest price possible? I like Marcoliani socks. They are good quality and last a long time. Available from Howard Yount for the best price on the internets.

10. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

I bought like 15 pair of Stafford OTC socks (high cotton content) at National Wholesale Liquidators over a year ago for a buck each. They are a brand sold by JCPenney & have held up excellently.

11. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Robert Tallbot OTC are extremely well made and really stay up well, i bought a few pairs from the B&S board for about $10 or so.

Brioni OTC, i just bought a $35 pair of Brioni's in Navy from Filene's for $2.50, they're well worth it, i have a few pairs of Brioni and they're very well made.

12. sweep

sweep Well-Known Member

I like the Nordstrom's OTC better than the Talbott's. They only come in navy but had be had for $4 a pop at Nordstrom Rack.

13. newtrane

newtrane Senior member

I am interested in Marcoliani socks. Do they have different sizes (I am shoe size 6.5 ..)?

14. jon5986

jon5986 Senior member

I like Paul Smith. They make a beautiful sock!

15. Nicholas

Nicholas Senior member

I am interested in Marcoliani socks. Do they have different sizes (I am shoe size 6.5 ..)?

I pretty much use Marcoliani exclusively. I believe their regular size is 8.5-12, not sure if there's anything smaller.

16. peaklapel1089

peaklapel1089 Well-Known Member

I'm wearing OTCs almost exclusively these days but I can't say I always find them to be comfortable by the middle of the workday. I've been wearing gold toe and other department store brands and wonder if a higher-end brand might be more comfortable. I'm talking about them feeling tight/constricted around the calf area. Do you guys have any thoughts?

17. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

I'm wearing OTCs almost exclusively these days but I can't say I always find them to be comfortable by the middle of the workday. I've been wearing gold toe and other department store brands and wonder if a higher-end brand might be more comfortable. I'm talking about them feeling tight/constricted around the calf area. Do you guys have any thoughts?

The trick is to purposely slouch them a bit so that the area where the top band sits gets a break now and again.

18. Volsgradstudent

Volsgradstudent Well-Known Member

I used to wear gold toe mid-calf socks until I read some posts here about folks who wore OTC socks.

So I bought some gold toe OTC socks and love them. They stay up all day long, they're confortable, and being gold toe, they should hold up well.

Last week I bought some of the Robert Talbott OTCs that folks are selling in B&S. I wanted to add some color to my wardrobe. I wore gold toes on Monday, and the RTs Tuesday through today. I only bought 9 pairs of RTs. Now I'm gonna have to buy more.

This board is a very bad influence! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. KemalOnyurt

KemalOnyurt Senior member

little bit late answer but Viccel solved this problem with special knitting on calf section of leg in the picture you can see.
    [​IMG]

20. comrade

comrade Senior member

Brooks Brothers cotton lisle can be had pretty cheaply at their
    frequent sales. However, they tend to fall apart in about a
    year. Years ago I would buy Marks and Spencer wool or
    wool blend OTC socks . They are (were) virtually in-
    destructable. I have some that are over twenty years old