• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Affordable must eat's in NYC

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
do you like Japanese? Go to midtown east between 40~50 around Lex/3rd/2nd is where decent Japanese food are while still ok pricing (though some can be very very good and very very expensive). Cheap Japanese is St. Mark, but that's college student hang out cheap.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
Manhattan: John's Pizza Bleecker St Katz Deli Chinatown Ice Cream Factory Hop Kee Wo Hop Corner Bistro Donut Plant Brooklyn: Fette Sau The Chip Shop DiFara's Pizza
Difara is not a good value, $25+ for a pizza that will take 3 hours from order to eat. other stuff on your list is fine Baohaus Hagi Keste Pizza (the best neap pizza i've had and $14) Otafuku (the finest snack in NYC) if you haven't been to Katz then you should go, $20 sandwich be damned Doughnut Plant, definitely agree Coffee places: Third Rail, Stumptown at the Ace, Coffee Foundry Hudson Bagel Cafe Habana for an elote (they call it "mexican grilled corn" or something) and get a Halal cart rice plate at some point, doesn't have to be the 56th and 3rd or whatever. many good ones. all around $6 IMHO Grimaldi's is not worth the trek, tons of better $15 neapolitan pizzas in Manhattan. And **** $25 180 minute Difara burnt pizzas

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am surprised no one has mentioned Taim, in the WV. Awesome falafels.

That, and Caracas Arepa Bar in EV - Its not exactly great value for money at $7 for an arepa, but the food itself is pretty decent.

What about that burger joint at Le Parker Meridien?

Funny thing is, moving out of NYC and living in Mumbai now, cheap food has taken on a whole new definition. $14 for a f'in pizza?! Gotta be crazy
biggrin.gif

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Third Rail is a good place for coffee. They have various forms of Stumptown. You can go there before or after John's Pizza (across 6th ave).

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
one more thing about Katz. the sandwiches do cost $15+, but they are 100% definitely worth 2 meals. If you are there with someone else, you only need one sandwich and one side for two people. In fact I feel gross trying to eat one entire sandwich.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
prosperty dumplings
Num Pang - Five spice pork belly
Moaz

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
one more thing about Katz. the sandwiches do cost $15+, but they are 100% definitely worth 2 meals. If you are there with someone else, you only need one sandwich and one side for two people. In fact I feel gross trying to eat one entire sandwich.

Heck, I love going there with my fiancee because she only eats half of hers and I get 1.5 . . .

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Num Pang is awesome.
And right down the street is The Adore, another favorite of mine.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
alright im retracting my shake shack rec. i went to the one on 86th today and was not impressed. boohoo

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I really like shake shack. At first I was not a big fran, but it has grown on me.

mellowfellow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
beside doughnut plant, theres Bakery in les. Gluten Free
5756304719_257ba965e7.jpg
Torrisi Italian Specialties turkey sandwich
5697014443_8087c5e544.jpg
saigon vietnamese sandwich. on broome street. near the firehouse
5445298335_f29cc65671.jpg
Shanghai Cafe $4.95 People come here for the soup dumplings.
5869962758_2d8827e9fc.jpg

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
couple of quick chinatown eats:

HK wonton Garden (79mulberry street), then Chinatown Ice Cream Factory (65 bayard st) only a half block away.

At there yesterday and randomly sat next to a Judge who worked at the courthouses a block away. We talked for about 30min

5869743495_5297d7040f_z.jpg

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scientific
facepalm.gif
if OP likes burgers, he should def go to the shack

If the OP likes burgers, he should go to Peter Luger for lunch. $8.95 for a half-pound burger.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that turkey sandwich mellowfellow posted looks really good

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads