1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Affordable must eat's in NYC

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by antirabbit, Jun 16, 2011.

1. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Next week im in NYC for 5 days and nights. Staying at Hotel Plaza Athenee.
    Im looking for suggestions on where to eat, at a moderate price.
    Any suggestions?

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

You are staying at the Plaza Athenee and you want to eat in inexpensive restaurants? [​IMG]

3. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Last time I was up I enjoyed Ippudo www.ippudony.com/
    and No. 7 Sub at the Ace Hotel http://www.no7sub.com/home-01.html
    After No. 7 stop in the Breslin or John Dory for a good beer / scene

I'm sure some NYers will tell you these places are played if they were ever good to begin with [​IMG]

4. nmprisons

nmprisons Senior member

My favorite cheap eats in the city:

Bagels from Absolute Bagels on the UWS
    Thai food from Ayada in Queens (worth the trip, I promise) or Zabb Elee in the LES (not as good, but closer)
    Western Chinese froom from Xian Famous foods (only the outpost under the manhattan bridge or the one in Queens)
    Pastrami on rye from Katz's (if $20 is still cheap to you)

5. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hagi Sake Bar--I'm convinced it's the best food for the money in the whole city.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

There's an entire thread dedicated to cheap eats in NYC

7. nmprisons

nmprisons Senior member

Hagi Sake Bar--I'm convinced it's the best food for the money in the whole city.

A very good recommendation.

8. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

You are staying at the Plaza Athenee and you want to eat in inexpensive restaurants? [​IMG]

yes.

The trip was an award from work, which I was laid off from last week....so I am a laid off guy staying at the Plaza Athenee for a week....

9. constantine.

constantine. Senior member

The Meatball Shop on stanton

10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I'm excited about getting some Xi'an noodles soon. Probably the only Asian food I will eat in NY while I'm there though, don't need Japanese food.

11. SField

SField Senior member

I'm excited about getting some Xi'an noodles soon. Probably the only Asian food I will eat in NY while I'm there though, don't need Japanese food.

Curious to hear your opinion on Toto Ramen, please go there if you have time. Compared well to great ramen in Tokyo.

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

yes.

The trip was an award from work, which I was laid off from last week....so I am a laid off guy staying at the Plaza Athenee for a week....

Gotcha. You could see why I was confused. Sorry for your troubles... I know what it's like. [​IMG]

Lombardi's has really good pizza, and pretty inexpensive.

13. impolyt_one

Curious to hear your opinion on Toto Ramen, please go there if you have time. Compared well to great ramen in Tokyo.

I'm.... actually not the best person to ask, I really don't like ramen actually and whenever I'm in Japan it's like the last thing I ever eat. I've had some 'good' ramen but it just doesn't do it for me.
    I LOVE pho, but I like clear broths and the fresh herbs that go in it more than the noodles or the shitty meat. I'd take a light clear broth with lettuce or leafy herbs in it with my lunch or dinner any day of the week. There was that huge Hakata-style tonkotsu stronghold (a la Ippudo) for the past what, 10 or 15 years, there's this new swing of surf n turf soup, pork and bonito or seafood broth, and that I really don't like. I don't know if I will ever come to like any of the styles of ramen that have been popular in my time, tonkotsu, the mixed broth; I like shio (chicken and salt) broth, and I like shoyu, less miso, but those won't be popular again for awhile maybe.

My lady is from Fukuoka (Hakata) and has never eaten ramen before, so go figure.

14. SField

SField Senior member

Impolyt,

This place actually specializes in chicken broth rather than Tonkatsu broth. Their starter of pork belly over rice with yuzu mayo (you know I don't usually like mayo) is really delicious, and I think the broth is some of the best I've had in a non-french restaurant.

I was just curious if you knew it since you're up on a lot more asian food than I am. Good pho I have not had, but this may change because my friend's girlfriend's mother is supposed to make the best pho on the planet as my many asian friends have attested to. Looking forward to that.

15. impolyt_one

I'll give it a try if I can find it then, chicken broth I'd do anyday of the week, like I said. I actually gotta go to Tokyo again in a month, wish I could reverse that so I'd have a fresher palate for some of these things. There's a kaiseki place I was interested in in NYC but I'll probably skip it considering my time and needs.
    Starting in a few days I'm gonna be stuffing myself on all kinds of stuff; stepping off the plane at LAX and going to Bouchon with some people.

For NY, I will eat some Xi'an with some hipsters for sure, I am gonna eat the Momofuku fried chicken with some people for shits and giggles, I would like to fit in a fine dining lunch or dinner if possible, and I think what I've really been craving for the past 3 years of being out of the country is just deli food and sandwiches.

16. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

17. SField

SField Senior member

Sorry but I'm racist against the Momofuku franchise. Except for Milk Bar.

18. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

as far as I know, Milk Bar's "Crack Pie" is the answer to world peace.

But at $45 a pie, most countries needing world peace can't afford it.

19. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Sorry but I'm racist against the Momofuku franchise. Except for Milk Bar.

How so?

20. titleofauser

titleofauser Active Member