• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Affordable long sleeved, button cuff polo shirts in the UK?

teachmenononsense

Reaction score
I own this long sleeved polo shirt in navy from Charles Tyrwhitt. It gets a lot of wear. In Spring/Autumn I wear it under a sports jacket with the cuffs buttoned and the requisite amount of cuff showing from my sleeve. In Summer I wear it with the cuffs unbuttoned and the sleeves rolled up fairly scruffily, with smart trousers or swimming shorts.

I am after more long sleeved, button cuff polos, in a slim fit. Ideally in a lightish fabric: a fine pique cotton, a fabric like the one I already own, or in something knit. The main reason I want more is because I would like additional colours. In particular something in a dark green/olive and something in a very pale, natural tone would be great. Charles Tyrwhitt only do navy, charcoal and wine.

In addition though, there are some things I dislike about the CT shirt. Mainly the collar is too small and can vanish under a jacket lapel. Also I would prefer if it buttoned to slightly further down, with one additional button, allowing me to be more or less buttoned up depending on temperature and formality of occasion.

Any suggestions for £50 or under per shirt? The difficulty seems to be finding something with a button cuff. If it wasn't for that, there is endless choice out there.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know the UK market that well, only the US. But one option is Proper Cloth. They're based in the US, but can probably ship to the UK. The price is also a tad higher than what you specified -- it's $100, so higher, but not too far off. But they do online MTM shirts and offer free remakes on the first order. I think they do a nice button-down style (they call it their Ivy collar). And they have a nice dark green. I just received a swatch of this fabric and think it's nice.

Since they allow you to customize options, you can just get the shirt made however you like

teachmenononsense

Reaction score
I don't know the UK market that well, only the US. But one option is Proper Cloth.

Thanks for the recommendation. This looks very suitable. I'm definitely open to saving for something more expensive if I'm going to get the wear out of it. I'll look into international shipping rates and see if it will be worth waiting until I need new formal shirts for work too and putting an order in.

Webbo

Reaction score
Son of a Tailor is your answer for the UK.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know the UK market that well, only the US. But one option is Proper Cloth. They're based in the US, but can probably ship to the UK. The price is also a tad higher than what you specified -- it's $100, so higher, but not too far off. But they do online MTM shirts and offer free remakes on the first order. I think they do a nice button-down style (they call it their Ivy collar). And they have a nice dark green. I just received a swatch of this fabric and think it's nice.

Since they allow you to customize options, you can just get the shirt made however you like

PC definitely ships to Europe, I get shirts from them delivered to Rome. Shipping to EU is 15 euros flat rate or free for purchases over 200 euros; not sure about the rates for UK.

Panama

Reaction score
I own this long sleeved polo shirt in navy from Charles Tyrwhitt. It gets a lot of wear. In Spring/Autumn I wear it under a sports jacket with the cuffs buttoned and the requisite amount of cuff showing from my sleeve. In Summer I wear it with the cuffs unbuttoned and the sleeves rolled up fairly scruffily, with smart trousers or swimming shorts.

I am after more long sleeved, button cuff polos, in a slim fit. Ideally in a lightish fabric: a fine pique cotton, a fabric like the one I already own, or in something knit. The main reason I want more is because I would like additional colours. In particular something in a dark green/olive and something in a very pale, natural tone would be great. Charles Tyrwhitt only do navy, charcoal and wine.

In addition though, there are some things I dislike about the CT shirt. Mainly the collar is too small and can vanish under a jacket lapel. Also I would prefer if it buttoned to slightly further down, with one additional button, allowing me to be more or less buttoned up depending on temperature and formality of occasion.

Any suggestions for £50 or under per shirt? The difficulty seems to be finding something with a button cuff. If it wasn't for that, there is endless choice out there.
Lands End Supima cotton Polo's are from £18.00 on sale or Merino Polo's from John Smedley Outlet or Alain Paine. Do not get the Geelong Alan Paine, it's not soft.

teachmenononsense

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I will need so thing in a slimmer fit and Alan Paine don't seem to offer that, so I might wait for the Lands End tailored fit polos to come on sale then give them a try. They aren't button cuff, but if I get one for under £25 I'm sure I can live with it. They have a colours I'm interested in for sure.

teachmenononsense

Reaction score
For anyone who comes across this thread I am currently looking at Natalino as my best option: https://natalino.co/collections/polo-shirt/products/long-sleeve-spread-collar-polo-shirt-sand

They offer spread collar polos for £85 and button down polos for £70, both with button cuffs. They also do both a dark green, a dark brown, and a sand colour that appeal. Frustratingly most of their lines seem to be out of stock in my size. Not sure if this an end of season issue or what, but I'm going to keep checking back over coming weeks and months. I know others speak very highly of their tailored trousers, so hopefully I will save my pennies and buy a shirt. If I do I will report back here.

Panama

Reaction score
For anyone who comes across this thread I am currently looking at Natalino as my best option: https://natalino.co/collections/polo-shirt/products/long-sleeve-spread-collar-polo-shirt-sand

They offer spread collar polos for £85 and button down polos for £70, both with button cuffs. They also do both a dark green, a dark brown, and a sand colour that appeal. Frustratingly most of their lines seem to be out of stock in my size. Not sure if this an end of season issue or what, but I'm going to keep checking back over coming weeks and months. I know others speak very highly of their tailored trousers, so hopefully I will save my pennies and buy a shirt. If I do I will report back here.
They are have an odd fit, hopefully you are tiny like a little girl.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads