• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Affordable Leather Belts vs Braided Belts

BuffaloWang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dep126
You can also look into getting a custom belt. There are tons of guys out there who make gun holsters who do belts as well. They tend to be double thickness but the guy who made mine would make pretty much any style. They may not be as refined as others but the leather is top quality and they will last forever.

How much do these run around?
Anyone you can refer me to?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BuffaloWang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
Not true. I picked up a pair of braided leather belts to wear with jeans for around $20.
At the time, about six months ago, I compared with similar belts from Brooks Brothers,
which were over $120. I really couldn't tell the difference. I wear jeans at least 4-5 days/week.

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...D6%26spc%3D310

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

That looks pretty nice and fits right into my budget. Might call my local Macy's and see if they carry.
Think I might opt for this.

I guess Braided > Leather for now?
Unless I can find a similar Tanner Goods Double Tongue for around $20.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
If I had my druthers, I'd get it without a brass buckle.

I would too. But that'll probably raise the price to the hand-crafted
category.

BuffaloWang

Reaction score
Braided belt with no buckle?
I can take it off :p. LOL could you?

BuffaloWang

Reaction score
I'll head to Macy's and take a look. See what's there and post back.
Any recommendations for looking around? :p

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
I doubt it'd be too hard to find on in steel.

What I meant is a leather or leather covered buckle, with only
the prong in metal. I've seen these, I am not sure where, at
prices which were much higher than Macys or even Brooks.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spy
As someone who works at macys, do not buy club room belts. They're made with the worst quality bonded leather and will fall apart after about five uses.

e: honestly all of the belts suck there though, because macys is a terrible store.

Funny you should mention this, my current Club Room Belts(s) were in exchange for a Nautica
Braided belt that fell apart in a very short time.

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...D4%26spc%3D313

So, far I have been lucky with the Club Room belts. I've been wearing mine for over six months
at least five times a week. As far as my personal clothing bona fides, I only buy underwear and
cheap belts at Macys. My current tailored clothing is high-end RTW: Belvest, Isaia, Battistoni.
I wear T&A, H&K, H&H shirts, etc.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny you should mention this, my current Club Room Belts(s) were in exchange for a Nautica
Braided belt that fell apart in a very short time.

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...D4%26spc%3D313

So, far I have been lucky with the Club Room belts. I've been wearing mine for over six months
at least five times a week. As far as my personal clothing bona fides, I only buy underwear and
cheap belts at Macys. My current tailored clothing is high-end RTW: Belvest, Isaia, Battistoni.
I wear T&A, H&K, H&H shirts, etc.

Well, in the interests of full disclosure, I just noticed that the Club Room belt which I have been
wearing since last Fall is starting to disintegrate. This poses a practical and moral dilemma. I
usually worship quality... not necessarily the hand work and other fetishes that pervade this forum,
but clothes which are well-made and last. For example, the shirt I wore to the last meet up
was purchased in London about ten years ago. The tie I wore with it was inherited and about
thirty years old. Admittedly, one of the reasons that my clothes last is that I wear jeans
and the like most of the time, which wasn't the case a decade ago. Nevertheless, do I get
more of these belts which cost less than a haircut, or do I spend multiples more at Brooks
Bros, a store whose quality, in my personal experience, has plummeted in the last 10-15 years,
for a belt that will fall apart after a year or two instead of eight months.

Artking3

Reaction score
Nevertheless, do I get
more of these belts which cost less than a haircut, or do I spend multiples more at Brooks
Bros, a store whose quality, in my personal experience, has plummeted in the last 10-15 years,
for a belt that will fall apart after a year or two instead of eight months.

I give you option #3: neither! There are better belts than Brooks Brothers' belts, which still cost less than BB. Get those instead.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artking3
I give you option #3: neither! There are better belts than Brooks Brothers' belts, which still cost less than BB. Get those instead.

For braided leather belts, where do you suggest?

Artking3

Reaction score
For braided leather belts, where do you suggest?

I recommend Anderson's, but you can only get them overseas. Even with shipping, its costs the same as Brooks Brothers but of far better quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads