Affordable daily workbag/briefcase on the casual side?

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by smilence, Feb 6, 2017.

1. smilence

smilence Well-Known Member

By Affordable I mean under $300, better under $200.

So I work in tech field as engineer but I do pay attention to my outfit. Most people wear T-shirt, casual button-down and jeans here, and carry backpacks. I'm on the dressier end, with casual bomber jacket + casual/dress shirt + jeans / chino + sneaker / monk straps.

I need a bag to carry my 15'' macbook pro to office, at most along with a iPad mini, so definitely prefer to be on slim side like 3'' - 4'' inch depth.

Right now I'm carrying a Everlane tote bag: https://www.everlane.com/products/mens-twill-tote-reverse-denim-black-leather which I like the material, styling and color, which also seems suitable in our casual work environment. The only complain is that it's a bit feminine. So I'm looking for a non-leather (since that would be a bit too dressy) briefcase, but I also don't like nylon.

This knomo bag really caught my eye, https://www.knomobags.com/usa/princeton-laptop-briefcase-grey.html I really like the styling, the size, and the casual look. But it doesn't seem to be a SF-approved brand, do you have any recommendations for my need?

2. smilence

Another reason I want it affordable and non-leather, is, most likely I don't want to be careful with it, I probably would put it on the ground, toss it around... and that's part of the reason I like my everlane twill tote bag

3. johng70

johng70 Senior member

The problem is almost always a question of durability - zippers, corners, bottoms and how handles attach. Filson is a great option but a little more than you want to spend. Here's another option, a little less well known, but they make high quality:
    https://www.duluthpack.com/business/portfolios/the-commuter-laptop-portfolio.html

There are other models you can look at. But, Duluth Pack is still high quality, made in America.

And, the leather accents aren't just for looks - having a leather bottom is a lot more durable than canvas bottom.

4. smilence

Yeah I understand that part. It's just that if I buy a pricier leather bag, I probably be more cautious and stay away from floor/rain etc, which i don't want.

5. GClub1866

GClub1866 Active Member

No idea what a SF-approved brand is but the Princeton bag looks great.

Size looks perfect for what you are looking for, colour would match is pretty much any outfit and a great mix of casual look with style....plus its in the right price range.

I'm sure looking at the company if you received it and it wasn't quite up to spec you could return it without any issues.

thanks
    GClub1866

6. lawsuit

lawsuit Member

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017

7. Fallow

Fallow Member

They are a tad mysterious about the materials they use, though they say they use "recycled materials such as recycled nylons, cardboard, rubber and cork," which sounds dodgy but in my experience the quality, durability and look of their products is far from dodgy. I have owned a number of their bags and am certainly not gentle on my items, but they stood the test of time and kept their polished look.

Or have you looked at the In Case City Collection? It's a tad industrial-looking but given that you're in the field, it may suit your needs:

8. Enzocici

Enzocici New Member

Try this canvas briefcase, you will like it
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXHIB53
    Which can carry your 15'' macbook pro, iPad mini, documents, accessories and so on

comes with a padded strap and It's pretty cool and durable
    [​IMG]

9. styc

styc Well-Known Member

@smilence Can never ever go wrong with FIlson. Some of their offerings fall within your price range even at the RRP. You can get a few off eBay for even cheaper.