• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Affordable custom dress shirts in NYC?

akwit

Reaction score
I have already tried Mohan's and had a terrible experience with them.
Nothing fit correctly, it took 3 months to get things 75% right and the fabrics were ultimately not comfortable.

I cant find afford $100+ for a custom shirt; what are my options (if any) in NYC?

Has anyone tried any of the custom online shirt options (like shirtsmyway)?

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure there is much custom at that price point in NYC, but for online MTM, you should really do a search here. Lots of intel, but let me give you a hint: Jantzen....

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure there is much custom at that price point in NYC, but for online MTM, you should really do a search here. Lots of intel, but let me give you a hint: Jantzen....

I was thinking about Jantzen a couple years ago, then I read the terrible customer service and orders not being fulfilled for months... Pass on my book, not worth the headaches.

Phone and online orders aren't their main priority.

Last edited:

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Bhambis, prices start at $120. Lifetime warranty - will adjust your shirt if you gain or lose weight at no extra charge...

emc894

Reaction score
I have used three in New York: Ascot Chang, Geneva Shirtmakers and CEGO.

Cego has been by far the best fit and is the cheapest. Ascot Chang has better fabrics and second best fit but is significantly more expensive. My Geneva had more hand work than the others but the fit was so awful the shirt was unwearable. I think it was about $280.

In short, go to CEGO. $150 gets you a great shirt.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have used three in New York: Ascot Chang, Geneva Shirtmakers and CEGO.
Cego has been by far the best fit and is the cheapest. Ascot Chang has better fabrics and second best fit but is significantly more expensive. My Geneva had more hand work than the others but the fit was so awful the shirt was unwearable. I think it was about $280.
In short, go to CEGO. $150 gets you a great shirt.

I believe he does have a minimum order though.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Carl's a good guy but it took forever (read: 8+ weeks) for me to get my shirts from him, and the fits weren't consistent. For some strange reason, my barrel cuff shirts fit much better through the body than my french cuff ones did.

This is obviously correctable, but the long wait time turned me off. I wasn't in the mood to air my grievances and wait another two months for shirts (that are advertised as taking 2-3 weeks).

HRH Demetri

Reaction score
I am new on the web here but there are choices available. I went onto the web and searched under "Custom Dress Shirts" , I further
spent about two - three days for a couple of hours each day after work looking at the numerous sites that came up. My advice to you is that if you need a shirt for tomorrow go out & buy one from your neighboorhood mens shop or big box store like a Macy's or a Nordstrum I dont think that you will go wrong for one shirt, albit it may not be your dream custom fit like a snake charmers shirt, but at least you will get by for the moment.

Step two is spend the time and look at the different sights that fit your criteria for price, material & styling options. Pick the one that you like best and order one test shirt not to expensive but in your affordable comfort range and hold on to your seat till you receive it for fit, material,workmanship and overall quality of the price point. Then go to another site and do the same analysis for about four or five vendors
order the lower price point shirts and then when you get each rate them for the above criteria again. This way you will finally arrive at a vendor with whom you feel is the best of the best that matches your needs based on the above, stick with them and work out your dream shirt for future ordering. This is what I have done and willl advise the gentlemen in this forum (adding my 2cents in), then you be the judge after all.

Last edited:

charliebrown2

Reaction score
I am new on the web here but there are choices available. I went onto the web and searched under "Custom Dress Shirts" , I further
spent about two - three days for a couple of hours each day after work looking at the numerous sites that came up. My advice to you is that if you need a shirt for tomorrow go out & buy one from your neighboorhood mens shop or big box store like a Macy's or a Nordstrum I dont think that you will go wrong for one shirt, albit it may not be your dream custom fit like a snake charmers shirt, but at least you will get by for the moment.

Step two is spend the time and look at the different sights that fit your criteria for price, material & styling options. Pick the one that you like best and order one test shirt not to expensive but in your affordable comfort range and hold on to your seat till you receive it for fit, material,workmanship and overall quality of the price point. Then go to another site and do the same analysis for about four or five vendors
order the lower price point shirts and then when you get each rate them for the above criteria again. This way you will finally arrive at a vendor with whom you feel is the best of the best that matches your needs based on the above, stick with them and work out your dream shirt for future ordering. This is what I have done and willl advise the gentlemen in this forum (adding my 2cents in), then you be the judge after all.
Jimmy D

and what was the result of your study? who did you end up picking?

HRH Demetri

Reaction score
To my fellow night owl reader:
I have ordered from three manufacturers so far as I am getting into the knack of ordering thru the InterNet. Deo Veritas, Best Custom Shirt, Bespoke Fit Shirt to begin with. I am awaiting them to arrive shortly and will henceforth advise all the gentlemen who will read my posted opinion based on the my criteria of observed facts. If anyone can afford to procure true bespoke shirts from the standard names in this forum then go ahead, but as I feel that I am speaking for the average Joe who works his tail off and is struggling to keep all of the marbles of family, home & expenses in the air at the same time then a lower cost MTM shirt under $100 say $60-95 range should suffice for everday use. I assume that most of us have our shirts go thru a commercial laundry who pray tell
cant guarantee a damage free or spot/mark free shirts, at least that has been my experience. So I am sticking to the reasonable online shirt makers. Will let all know soonest that I get my hopefull
delights back.

HRH Demetri

Reaction score
Forgot to add the following statement in the above, most if not all of the above manufacturers have multiple price points of quality material shirtings to pick from, so pick the lowest price point that you would be comfortable with acknowledging the fact that the first shirt may not come back as you had anticipated in either size differentials or finishing touches, this should be something that you can accept without suffering a financial setback with what you paid for it. You accept that fact and go on to either work with the manufacturer that you like to correct the problem or try to move on and repeat the low price point first shirt test with another vendor. Life is a roll of the dice, remember it is only a experimental first shirt.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could try LS Men's Clothing. I believe they do MTM shirts.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You could try LS Men's Clothing. I believe they do MTM shirts.

Last time I checked he does indeed and uses Individualized to make the shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics