• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Affordable custom dress shirts in NYC?

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since my new job I have used CEGO for my shirts (despite having the local option of Hamilton). The first big order that I made (after my sample shirt) did take longer than usual and there was a snafu with the payment but since there have been no issues since then. I highly recommend CEGO as it is relatively affordable if you're local (I'm from NY and travel back frequently), the workmanship is there, and Carl gives genuinely good advice on fit and fabric selection.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have already tried Mohan's and had a terrible experience with them.
Nothing fit correctly, it took 3 months to get things 75% right and the fabrics were ultimately not comfortable.

I cant find afford $100+ for a custom shirt; what are my options (if any) in NYC?

Has anyone tried any of the custom online shirt options (like shirtsmyway)?

Which Mohans fabrics did you get? I have a handful of the "free" shirts included with the suits. The construction sucks, the poly/cotton isn't great and the fit is decent. I now use them whenever it is raining outside.

I've found propercloth to be perfectly reliable. Price wise my Tailored Suits Paris shirts have been great and are in your price range. They lack some of the features of the proper cloth ones, but I can't say that I really notice their absence.

v8 muscle

Reaction score
Last time I checked he does indeed and uses Individualized to make the shirts.

I got 3 shirts from them (in a single order, badly needed shirts). They turned out ok in the end (after having to have the buttons fixed), but i didnt like the construction quality, cuffs, or pattern of the cut. Their fabric selection is relatively large, if you dont mind not having brand name fabric, but I only saw a couple fabrics that I liked. The cut of the shirts turned out to not look as slim as I would have liked since the armholes had relatively low insertions, the buttons are coming unsewn after less than 15 wears, and the cuffs look like crap.

I paid $330 for the 3 shirts which isnt a bad deal, I'll be looking elsewhere for my next batch of shirts though.

Last edited:

Jaygatsby28

Reaction score
I did this same search when I first moved to NYC. CEGO is the way to go.

I'd advise against L&S - they have done a bad job with alterations on OTR shirts for me back in the day. I have used Carl over at CEGO in the past - he does a great job and is an honest guy. I am trying out Ascot now - not the best experience so far with fit & price is way too high for what you get.

I'd try CEGO - Pay up the $150, get some basic blue and whites and add as you have more $$. Its better to have 1 great fitting shirt than 5 poorly fitting ones. Talk with Carl about your timeline, I'm sure he will be flexible.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
God I spend $100+ on my own shirts and I get them cost from the INC. Really, I mean if you can't afford a shirt from Cego you should give up these dreams of wearing custom clothing otherwise your being a tad pretentious.

I really resent the post about makers in NYC wanting to be millionaires so we charge a lot of money as makers. It's not always about that, we live and work in NYC, rent costs, a subway ticket for a month is $112.00. It's never going to be like the old days with the maker not wearing shoes while he slaves making beautiful clothes for aristocrats. I mean goodness I bought two pairs of socks at Turnbull the other day and the bill was $80!

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

God I spend $100+ on my own shirts and I get them cost from the INC. Really, I mean if you can't afford a shirt from Cego you should give up these dreams of wearing custom clothing otherwise your being a tad pretentious.

I really resent the post about makers in NYC wanting to be millionaires so we charge a lot of money as makers. It's not always about that, we live and work in NYC, rent costs, a subway ticket for a month is $112.00. It's never going to be like the old days with the maker not wearing shoes while he slaves making beautiful clothes for aristocrats. I mean goodness I bought two pairs of socks at Turnbull the other day and the bill was $80!

+1. Cego is great. If you can't afford Cego ( and many people can't), try on a lot of RTW shirts and find something that works for you now.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, if you want alternative you could always buy RTW on sale, then alter it, are you super hard to fit?

HRH Demetri

Reaction score
Obaid Captain
See my posts on Page 1 for the online shirt makers that I have used with great success. The best balance for me based on quality and materials price point is "PROPER CLOTH".
They have great customer service based on my experience and the quickest delivery to boot about 2-3 weeks. SO try them first, read there ordering criteria, pick a not to expensive
material as a first shirt, order it, wait for it to come back to you, try on for fit, comfort and custom details if requested. If the shirt is not to your liking make notes of points that you want
corrected, tell them about it.Confirm with them and order a second shirt taking these corrections or additions into consideration. You will them be on your way to a masterful fit to please you.
Look no one said it will be easy the first time around but you will get the quality & fit that you desire sooner than later. Either go online or visit their showroom. Good Luck let us know how you made out.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, if you want alternative you could always buy RTW on sale, then alter it, are you super hard to fit?

Exactly!!. Unless you have very special fit problems, low end "custom shirts" are
rarely the quality of high-end RTW shirts. Especially in New York, you have the best selection of
fine RTW shirts in the Western Hemisphere, eg. Bergdorf, Barney's, Paul Stuart, Turnbull and Asser,
De Corato, Herzfeld, Saks Fifth Ave, Kiton, Jay Kos, Massimo Bizzocchi, even Bloomingdales- the list
goes on. Get a good alterations tailor- shirts are easy to alter, and go to the sales.

Last edited:

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have no qualms with the rest of your post, and moreover I believe any man should be able to run his business as he wants and charge whatever he likes.

But no one forced you to buy 2 pairs of socks for $80, did they? :)

I draw the line at about $15-20 for wool socks (on sale at BB), but I guess fashion/presentation if more important for you given your line of work.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone with experience using CEGO bespoke and can compare to Ascot Chang bespoke? I know that AC has 4 shirt minimum and CEGO has a 5 shirt minimum for bespoke and that AC charges more, but was was more concerned about fit.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone?

pendragon

Reaction score
Given that Shirtmaven is a regular here, you should probably go CEGO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads