1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Affordable Black Oxfords

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mispoke, Feb 28, 2013.

1. mispoke

mispoke Well-Known Member

Any ideas for decent quality black oxfords / dress shoes at an affordable price point (i.e., priced below Allen Edmonds)? Right now, I'm wearing some tired-looking department store Florsheims. This is for a corporate work environment.

2. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

Affordable is a relative term. A dollar amount would be more helpful.

3. mispoke

Below $200

4. DextersMorgan

DextersMorgan Well-Known Member

I would never wear Florsheims even if you gave me $50,000 worst shoes I ever wore in my life.

5. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

At that price point, look at some Cole Haans. My local menswear/shoe store has some nice Cole Haan lace ups at $198.

Chris

6. dirkweems

dirkweems Well-Known Member

Kind of an extreme position. Florsheims may be shite shoes but I would wear them if you paid me $50,000. I would be happy to go spend that money at John Lobb, St James.

7. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

You can absolutely find Allen Edmonds below $200. You simply may have to look around a bit and be patient to find what you want.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. ckprax

ckprax Well-Known Member

The Allen Edmonds shoe bank regularly sells the Brooks Brothers PA seconds for $200 or less, they were $129 a couple weeks ago. Nordstroms sells the standard PA (firsts) for $219 once or twice a year.

I would also consider black captoes from Andrew Lock, Meermin, Loake, Herring etc but you won't really be able to try before you buy and they will be a little above your budget.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  9. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

E often has seconds or sale items at that price point

10. mispoke

I'm looking for something like these John Lobb cap toe oxfords, but at a much more accessible price point (see above): http://www.johnlobb.com/models/oxford/city-ii

I'm not a huge fan of the AE Park Ave … find the cap too small or far up the toe.

Any suggestions?

11. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Your best bet is probably something lightly worn on eBay. There really aren't any better-than-Florsheim-quality options within your budget range.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  12. mispoke

13. ylkim30

ylkim30 Well-Known Member

I would choose the Edgar out of all of those because they are closed-laced.

Just be aware that they are probably corrected grain and won't last as long as a full grain leather shoe. Unfortunately, I just don't think you are going to be able to get something full-grain and non-AE at your price point. Maybe Loake is the closest to what you want if you are not adverse to buying online, but you are still looking at around $260.

14. mispoke

Cole Haan Air Adams on "sale" for $169.95 CAD, local store.

Would you buy at this price? Are these corrected grain?

15. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Crockett and Jones. Mid range price shoe but good quality.