• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Affliction" Hoodies

someoneNew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tundrafour
Kash, maybe it'd be more helpful to view the above posters' opinions as (free, no less) constructive feedback rather than simply dismissing them.

Well, it's a stretch to say Max's comment was constructive criticism.

tundrafour

Reaction score
Originally Posted by someoneNew
Well, it's a stretch to say Max's comment was constructive criticism.

It was put pretty rudely and showed a lack of restraint, but it could still be interpreted in a constructive manner (hey, maybe the designs are dated, and if so, it's a problem that will need to be addressed sooner or later) rather than simply dismissed.

I don't personally really care whether Kash treats it as such; it was just a suggestion.

Max

Reaction score
***** please, I dole out hate to high and low. See me extolling the virtues of an old navy sweatshirt in the cheap abundant hoodies thread? Yeah.

There's no constructive criticism I can give because everything wrong with these garments was an intentional design decision.

I hate "distressing." I buy new clothes because I want new clothes that look like new clothes. As such, I don't like hoodies that look like they've been soaked in a bucket of bleach solution for 72 hours, rinsed out in hudson river water, and dyed with rit dye. Nor do I like hoodies that look like they've been dragged behind a car for a mile or four after spending about 3 years in the dryer.

Presumably (and it's a pretty big presumption) you're professional designers who know how to construct quality garments. There's no excuse for the heinously ****** sewing on these sweatshirts. Clearly, you have a serger sewing machine and are not afraid to use it. But use it right. Finishing seams isn't that goddamn hard when you have a machine that does it for you.

Finally, the prints. Oh, those prints. Off-center prints were interesting in 2000. It was something new, but that was six years ago. Then they spread from threadless and took over the world. These days they're just boring. Same with the gothed out etching graphics. If I want something printed, I'll get something plaid, striped, or dotted.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Max
***** please, I dole out hate to high and low. See me extolling the virtues of an old navy sweatshirt in the cheap abundant hoodies thread? Yeah.

There's no constructive criticism I can give because everything wrong with these garments was an intentional design decision.

I hate "distressing." I buy new clothes because I want new clothes that look like new clothes. As such, I don't like hoodies that look like they've been soaked in a bucket of bleach solution for 72 hours, rinsed out in hudson river water, and dyed with rit dye. Nor do I like hoodies that look like they've been dragged behind a car for a mile or four after spending about 3 years in the dryer.

Presumably (and it's a pretty big presumption) you're professional designers who know how to construct quality garments. There's no excuse for the heinously ****** sewing on these sweatshirts. Clearly, you have a serger sewing machine and are not afraid to use it. But use it right. Finishing seams isn't that goddamn hard when you have a machine that does it for you.

Finally, the prints. Oh, those prints. Off-center prints were interesting in 2000. It was something new, but that was six years ago. Then they spread from threadless and took over the world. These days they're just boring. Same with the gothed out etching graphics. If I want something printed, I'll get something plaid, striped, or dotted.

1. I agree sewing looks ******, but that's the aesthetic that serves a demographic.
2. Clean sewing does not "=" better sewing/improved quality.
3. Aesthetically ****** sewing in most cases takes longer on the production line to execute. In essence a more artisinal labor process.

I would "love" to hear your most eliquent critique of the following brands:

Carpe Diem
Rick Owens
Undercover
Rogan
Collection Privee

All of which at their core have a raw (******) soaked in a bucket of bleach solution for 72 hours, rinsed out in hudson river water, and dyed with rit dye sort of vibe.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
P.S.

Just so you guys don't think I'm defending Kash on a personal level, I don't actualy believe he's telling the truth concerning his association with Affliction.

Max

Reaction score
I hate expensive clothing that looks ****** and old across the board. I don't care if it's a fraying $10 polo shirt at old navy or a $250 "worn out" pair of jeans from rogan. If I want to wear something old, I have old clothes and thrift stores to shop at.

So it takes more time to make these? Artisanal processes? Who cares? Process is meaningless when the end result is bad.

My style is all about fit, construction, and color. Like all good menswear, it's about small details and subtlety; pattern, texture, armholes, body length, button stance, pant breaks, and collar spreads. None of my clothing was wrinkled, frayed, or faded when I bought it. Needless to say, I don't wear vaguely batik'd hoodies with overbearing and dated graphics.

someoneNew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Max

If your point was to come off like an opinionated asshole then you succeeded.

tundrafour had mistakenly given you the credit of adding constructive criticism.

Kash

Reaction score
well max maybe you should go watch bambi again

''if you dont have something nice to say then dont say anything at all.''

and just because you dont like it, doesnt mean i'm going to care, because we get alot of buisness, and do you have a company? because well i dont see one.

Tiranis

Reaction score
You're not going to come to a hard rock forum and discuss Eminem's latest album, or at least you don't expect people to like it. The same way you shouldn't expect people in the streetwear forum—where TR, R&R, Seven, are looked down upon—to praise hoodies that feature a massive amount of skulls on them and are overall made for the mainstream market (especially considering skulls are everywhere now and no one respons positively to them around here). Also: whatever happend to freedom of speech? The poster asked opinion about the hoodies, they gave their opinions, end of story. If you were offended, that's your problem.
Originally Posted by Kash
well max maybe you should go watch bambi again ''if you dont have something nice to say then dont say anything at all.''
So basically what you're saying is: if somebody asks us about some horrible trend of the past, everyone who wants to tell him it's bad, should shut up. So in the end what happens is the person buys that particular clothing item, wears it and is surprised to get weird looks from everyone around him. Something like that?

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
All of Max's reasons are pretty accurate(albeit not worded kindly). Quit complaining about the way he said it. Yes, he said it pretty rudely, but find the criticism he has in there and use it for whatever reason you posted these ugly hoodies.

It's hard to add more criticism since pretty much everything is wrong with the hoodies and has been said. The most important thing, i think, is the style and placement of the graphics. Yes, side, shoulder, and all those other weirdly placed graphics are pretty dated and i've never really liked them. I'm not a huge fan of big graphics anyway, but especially those. The skulls, and the fake middle age, gothic, and some companies similar to affliction print stupid latin words on them. They're way too showy, and in a bad way that makes the company and the wearer look stupid and pretentious at the same time.

I don't have a problem with raw edged shirts, if done right, but i don't like the way the rips and stuff look on that hoodie.

kimizz0

Reaction score
I think it was in 2004 that I thought about buying a few Affliction shirts, but then I realized I could get the same shirt by Urban Pipeline at Kohl's for a third of the price
confused.gif

someoneNew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tiranis
You're not going to come to a hard rock forum and discuss Eminem's latest album, or at least you don't expect people to like it. The same way you shouldn't expect people in the streetwear forum"”where TR, R&R, Seven, are looked down upon"”to praise hoodies that feature a massive amount of skulls on them and are overall made for the mainstream market (especially considering skulls are everywhere now and no one respons positively to them around here).

You're saying distressed/graphic hoodies don't belong in the Streetwear forum!?
eh.gif

Tiranis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by someoneNew
You're saying distressed/graphic hoodies don't belong in the Streetwear forum!?
eh.gif

Hmm, did I really say that? Last time I checked, I was talking about skulls and stuff... but if skulls = distressed hoodies, yeah, I suppose they don't belong here. The point is: you're not going to find people talking about Morphine Generation here, because that's not streetwear, that's mainstream stuff that's supposed to be "streetwear", "hip", or something like that. The same way Affliction isn't a streetwear brand, at least not the kind of streetwear that's being discussed here. I would put both brands out there with Antik Denim and that's not going to be accepted on this forum anytime soon.
tongue.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics