Affirmation on Oxxford suit just purchased on e-bay

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by teddieriley, Apr 29, 2006.

1. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

I just bought the following Oxxford suit on ebay, and it was my first "high end" suit purchase. I was in the market for a gray suit, and based on everything I have read on the forum, I thought it was a steal at $400. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item I didn't really have any doubts about authenticity, just the fit and don't know much about their "Aristocrat Cachet" line. But based on the measurements the seller provided, the only thing I need to adjust would be the waist (need to get that 40 down to about a 33), and the sides of the jacket if need be for that nice tailored look. The sleeve length seem about right. Although I would have preferred a lighter gray suit with no pleats, i didn't want to pass this up. Any thoughts or comments about this acquisition?

2. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Taking 7 inches off the waist is going to be a helluva task. And the jacket is going to need the same kind of work in the waist too. I don't know how your tailor is going to pull that off, but best of luck! And hopefully some of that Oxxford waistband can be preserved...

Obviously it's extremely high quality. I think the button stance looks slightly low relative to today's fashions and my taste, and the gorge slightly lower than today. All in all, looks nice. Hope you can get it to fit...

3. demeis

demeis Senior member

Your looking at at least a $60 alteration. It can be done as i've seem more but the pants will have to be recut and its not going to be cheap. $60 is being somewhat conservative depending on where you live and the quality of your tailor.

4. teddieriley

I'm not too worried about the tailoring (or should I be??). I typically where 44R suits with the drop being around 6. So the pant waist of my last few suits had to be taken in quite a bit, and I know they need to be cut and have belt loops moved. But, I sure hope the tailoring isn't going to be so drastic such that the pockets will be out of whack (that's sartorial talk). Hope this isn't unrealistic with this particular suit. And I don't know why the waist is 40 (anyone know this?)

With the jacket having to be taken in, that's about $35, and so is the waist, so I expect about a $70 + tailoring job.

5. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I've had 2-3 inches taken off a waist and it was fine. I just don't know how this will affect: belt loops; front pleats getting messed up/pulling open/whatever; pockets being out of whack, etc.. I'm not saying any of this is a problem, I'm just saying I don't know. Sorry - I haven't meant to kill your excitement at all - I think it's very nice.

6. UMass

UMass Senior member

I don't think those 40W pants were original with the 44R suit.

I think you should be concerned about that 7" off the waist is gonna quiet a task to make it look decent.

My tailor usually will not alter more than 3" off the waist.

7. teddieriley

Hmm...I here all the concern. Well, all I can do now is get the suit, bring it in and see what magic the tailor can do. I had an Armani suit where a significant amount in the waist had to be taken in, and it looked good. Thinking about it now though, it probably wouldn't sustain scrutiny by many on this board.

In any event, we shall see...at least the seller has a 3 day return policy.

8. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

I don't think those 40W pants were original with the 44R suit.

I think you should be concerned about that 7" off the waist is gonna quiet a task to make it look decent.

My tailor usually will not alter more than 3" off the waist.

Oxxford normally adds plenty of inlay to their pants and coats. Their affluent, traditional customer is apparently known to pack on a few over the 10-15 yr useful life of his trusty Oxxford.

My guess is that the pants were either 38" or 39" when purchased (not unusual for an Oxxford 44), and then were let out a wee bit.

Taking them down to a 33" waist will be a hell of an alteration, and I couldn't speculate on its potential effect on balance, etc.

However, I would certainly question UMass' assertion that the trousers aren't original to the suit.

9. marc237

marc237 Senior member

I tend to agree with Duveen; many Oxxford customers do not have slim fit bodies. I think the pants can be done, but will need to be significantly recut. I also suspect that the jacket will need significant work to get the suppressed waist you seem to need. Good luck!

10. teddieriley

Thanks for the comments.

Just curious about the meaning of general measurements. The seller measured the waist at 40, which I assume is looping the measuring tape around the outside waist band when the pants are flat. I know I wear a 33-34 size pants, and just measured the outside waist band of a tailored suit I own. It came in at 35.5 inches. Is this a typical discrepancy between the outer measurement of the waist and typical OTR waist sizing (I know I don't wear an OTR 35)? If so, is there some standard formula (i.e. an OTR 33 = 33 inches + 2 or whatever to give you the outside waist measurement)? Based on this, what does a "size 33" really mean (inside waist measurement or something)?

If this is the case, it looks as if I won't be tailoring the waist as much after all.

11. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Senior member

It looks like a wonderful looking suit