1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Aether Apparel

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hossoso, Jan 21, 2009.

1. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

I too want some feedback on this brand. I am a sucker for "fashionable" technical clothing (Patagonia, Nau, Icebreaker) so I can't help but be attracted to Aether. Does anyone have any first hand experience?

2. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Define cold, I don't think they are warm enough for -10c and lower.

3. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Is this a new brand? Are they doing a full line out of the box? I would be very skeptical.

Just look at the website. That must have cost them an arm and a leg--passing the cost to you.

Don't compare it to W+H, it took years for them to expand their line. I wouldn't call their hoodies "generic"--more understated, and the Tiger Fleece material on a few of the designs are quite unique.

Still, even now, W+H website looks like shit--they aren't spending wasteful $ on the web or marketing.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I believe it's a 3 or 4 years old brand

5. sipang

sipang Senior member

What the hell does W+H have to do with Aether ?

I very much doubt they spend shitload of money on marketing since practically no one knows about the brand. Aether works with FYi design which specializes in technical outerwear and was founded by a guy who used to work at Arc'teryx. Besides Aether FYi also collaborates with Burton, Sophnet, Patagonia and others on various projects/lines.

I never handled Aether stuff myself but I'd hazard a guess that the construction is pretty solid.

I wouldn't waste my money on basic stuff like hoodies though.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  6. vivalet

vivalet Senior member

I have a couple Aether button swims. It is a great swim short. Very nicely styled. To me their stand out piece. Very comfortable in the water, very comfortable dry. A little steep in price, but I do like the short.

http://www.aetherapparel.com/shop/mens/swim/button-swim/

I think it would be a better swimsuit if the pockets were a mesh: they would dry faster. The pockets are made out of the same material as the short itself so the dry time is very long. While they are great wet or dry, it's that in between stage where they aren't so great. You pretty much want to get out of them before they dry out all the way, which defeats the whole "from the water to the watering hole" concept!

They used to have a waxed vest I was interested in, but it appears they no longer carry it.

I tried on the space hoodie, and that is pretty nice. Still thinking about that.

Their travel bag looks awesome, but $500?

Their cotton tops are pretty ordinary, maybe like James Perse. Not worth the money IMO.

7. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

can anyone compare aether vs nau? why would one prefer one over the other?

8. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Just got the Aether piping swim short. Great fit and material. Going to pick up a second one sometime soon. Like mentioned above, some of their prices are high, but their customer service, quality, packaging, etc are seriously second to none. Great company.

Looking forward to the restock on the Pinnacle Jacket, will kop that for sure once it comes back this fall. Anyone not familiar with Aether, check them out, great fitting technical gear.

9. eldude

eldude Member

Got the barrier jacket. Pretty nice but seems to run a little big.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  10. WSW

WSW Senior member

Received the Fall Line NH today. Nice fabric and construction, but pretty tight on an athletic build. I'm going to exchange for the Traverse one size up and see how that works out.

11. jackstriderbrew

jackstriderbrew New Member

Today I received Aether's Fall Line jacket in jet black.
    I'm really happy with it, look and fit is amazing!
    Feels like the last rain jacket I've ever need. waterproof, windproof, breathable and looks absolutely amazing.
    Only disappointing thing is for $400USD i don't think it should be "made in philippines", american brand, made in usa would be nice.