• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AEs falling apart?

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
From the amount of wear you described it sounds like the toplift needs to be replaced. Most likely, the lift is separating from the base on the inside border but, if you look at the rear outside border I suspect the lift is worn to the base (which is normal for that amount of wear). A picture would confirm my suspicion.

JAlfredPrufrock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hth2002
JAlfredPrufrock,

Do your other dress shoes receive the same amount of wear and have the same problems? What brands are they? I am curious about this problem also. I just purchased AEs last month.

Yeah, my other shoes receive about the same amount of wear. I have a pair of Ralph Lauren Rivington (older than the McClains. Used to receive more wear, but not so much anymore), a pair of AE Evanston (only about 5 months old but holding up great) and a pair of Grenson Jeeves(only about a month old, so can't really say yet).

I've attached a photo of the heel to demonstrate the problem. (I've never added an attachment, so it may not work)

I'll be sending them back to AE to get them fixed soon.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They look like they need to be replaced anyway.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a lot of wear. Soles won't last forever. I have a couple of pairs of AE's that I wear quite frequently (Jacksons and Drydens) that have nowhere near that much wear after about a year. Incidentally, for whatever reason the Drydens appear impervious to creasing. The uppers look as close to brand new as you can imagine after probably 50 wears. No fine wrinkles, no big ones, nothing. There is only the slightest show of wrinkling where the cap toe line is.

JAlfredPrufrock

Reaction score
Yeah, when I lived in Florida I would walk to work everyday, which was about a mile or so.

Going that distance on concrete beats up a shoe. Now that I'm back in Ohio my shoes get less of a beating. I'm not sure what I am going to do to protect them from the show though. Rubber oversoles I guess.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JAlfredPrufrock
Yeah, my other shoes receive about the same amount of wear. I have a pair of Ralph Lauren Rivington (older than the McClains. Used to receive more wear, but not so much anymore), a pair of AE Evanston (only about 5 months old but holding up great) and a pair of Grenson Jeeves(only about a month old, so can't really say yet).

I've attached a photo of the heel to demonstrate the problem. (I've never added an attachment, so it may not work)

I'll be sending them back to AE to get them fixed soon.

Looks like the way you walk is causing the problem - the toplift is getting worn down nearly to the leather base.

You may want to consider heel taps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads