1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

AEs falling apart?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JAlfredPrufrock, Oct 9, 2009.

1. JAlfredPrufrock

JAlfredPrufrock Active Member

A friend of mine had a real bad experience with a pair of AE Clifton's a few months back, and I just shrugged it off as an anomaly. The little section of rubber on the heel began lifting (or falling, i suppose) off the sole of the shoe after a few days of wear. He, of course, sent them back and they "repaired" the shoes, which only lasted another few days. Eventually they just gave up and told him to pick a new pair of shoes that are comparable in price. While the costumer service was great, it was a little disappointing to have these quality problems.

Now here's the rub, my pair of AE McClain's, are starting to do the same thing. I've had them for a little over a year, and wear them 2-3 times a week. Only recently has this become an issue. Still, I'm less likely to assume it was an anomaly and am starting to grow leery or recommending the shoe to others.

I've heard before on this forum that the quality control at AE has been suffering. Has anyone else had this experience with the rubber part of the heel falling off?

2. dv3

dv3 Senior member

If you have had your shoes for over a year it might be time to get them re-soled. This should be expected if you wear them 2-3 times a week. FWIW, I resoled my AEs with higher quality soles (including rubber heel part) after about six months.

3. sifl

sifl Well-Known Member

4. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

2-3 times a week over 50 some weeks can be a decent amount of wear, depending on how much you walk and how much stress you put on the shoes; not suprised something might give. How does the ball of the sole feel?

If the heel is falling off, I might just take them to a local cobbler.

5. youngScholar

youngScholar Senior member

This sounds odd. I've had my Troys for about a year and have not experienced any real problems. This is with fairly heavy 2-3 times/week wear and two rainstorms. Maybe this is an issue with the newer models?

6. JAlfredPrufrock

2-3 times a week over 50 some weeks can be a decent amount of wear, depending on how much you walk and how much stress you put on the shoes; not surprised something might give. How does the ball of the sole feel?

If the heel is falling off, I might just take them to a local cobbler.

Honestly, the shoe feels fine, and the leather is breaking in/holding up nicely. The rest of the sole is in good shape too, it's just that damn piece of rubber right on the heel (does it have a name?).

I'm thinking of just gluing it for now. I'm just disappointed.

7. AllenEdmonds

AllenEdmonds Member

Depending on how you walk and how often you wear the shoes it is possible to wear down the toplift or for it to become loose over time. Some customers will add taps to the heel or toe depending on the wear pattern.

If you send the shoes to my attention I will correct the problem free of charge. Please send me your contact information along with your email address via PM and I will send you a postage paid label. I will also have a customer service representative contact you if you have any questions.

Quality and service is paramount to Allen Edmonds. Quality and service is Allen Edmonds.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me directly.

Dave Barber
    Director Systems and IT
    Allen Edmonds Shoe Corporation
    201 East Seven Hills Rd
    Port Washington, WI 53074

8. dv3

dv3 Senior member

Now that's service!

9. Jack2000

Jack2000 Senior member

+1. That's how you do business. Bravo.

10. JAlfredPrufrock

PM sent.

Like I said, I've always been impressed with AE's customer service and their commitment to their product. I really appreciate it.

11. DandySF

DandySF Senior member

The wear you describe seems perfectly reasonable to me. I usually replace the heel toplifts once every year or so.

I've always had positive experiences with AE shoes and service. In fact, just today I went into the AE store in San Francisco to drop off a pair of shoes for recrafting. This will be my third pair sent in for a renovation. They come back looking like new.

12. AllenEdmonds

AllenEdmonds Member

Julie in the San Francisco store is a great store manager and will take good care of you. Thank you for the comments.

Dave B.

13. Star

Star Senior member

I have the Cliftons which I bought on Ebay used worn maybe half a dozen times max otherwise looking brand spanking new. I got an additional piece of rubber attached to the heel by my shoe repairer as I prefer a higher heel. I have worn them in rotatation with another pair (twice a week) and have had no issues. The whole shoe is holding together very nicely. If you do not mind a slightly higher heel maybe doing the same might address your issue.

BTW I would also recommend getting any glueing done by a professional shoe repairer. In my experience DIY never works because you do not necessarily have the skill or materials so the job is never properly done.

14. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

A friend of mine had a real bad experience with a pair of AE Clifton's a few months back, and I just shrugged it off as an anomaly. The little section of rubber on the heel began lifting (or falling, i suppose) off the sole of the shoe after a few days of wear.
    Take them to your cobbler and have him nail them on. He can do it while you wait fir $5 or less.

15. hth2002

hth2002 Senior member

JAlfredPrufrock,

Do your other dress shoes receive the same amount of wear and have the same problems? What brands are they? I am curious about this problem also. I just purchased AEs last month.

16. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

From the amount of wear you described it sounds like the toplift needs to be replaced. Most likely, the lift is separating from the base on the inside border but, if you look at the rear outside border I suspect the lift is worn to the base (which is normal for that amount of wear). A picture would confirm my suspicion.

17. JAlfredPrufrock

JAlfredPrufrock,

Do your other dress shoes receive the same amount of wear and have the same problems? What brands are they? I am curious about this problem also. I just purchased AEs last month.

Yeah, my other shoes receive about the same amount of wear. I have a pair of Ralph Lauren Rivington (older than the McClains. Used to receive more wear, but not so much anymore), a pair of AE Evanston (only about 5 months old but holding up great) and a pair of Grenson Jeeves(only about a month old, so can't really say yet).

I've attached a photo of the heel to demonstrate the problem. (I've never added an attachment, so it may not work)

I'll be sending them back to AE to get them fixed soon.
    [​IMG]

18. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

They look like they need to be replaced anyway.

19. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

Yeah, that's a lot of wear. Soles won't last forever. I have a couple of pairs of AE's that I wear quite frequently (Jacksons and Drydens) that have nowhere near that much wear after about a year. Incidentally, for whatever reason the Drydens appear impervious to creasing. The uppers look as close to brand new as you can imagine after probably 50 wears. No fine wrinkles, no big ones, nothing. There is only the slightest show of wrinkling where the cap toe line is.

20. JAlfredPrufrock

Yeah, when I lived in Florida I would walk to work everyday, which was about a mile or so.

Going that distance on concrete beats up a shoe. Now that I'm back in Ohio my shoes get less of a beating. I'm not sure what I am going to do to protect them from the show though. Rubber oversoles I guess.