1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

AEs are not doing it for me. Where can I turn for comfort?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AnGeLiCbOrIs, Jun 18, 2007.

1. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Senior member

Seriously if you do a lot of walking I would take a look at these Gaetans. For 400 bucks it is a little pricey, but your feet will thank you. The picture doesn't do it justice - it looks way better in person. Just be sure to somehow get rid of that silly Mephisto tag on the side. It comes off with some perserverance.

troop

I just bought a new pair on ebay for $177.

Thanks for the tip!

2. Alan B.

Alan B. Well-Known Member

Es are an overrated shoe and have declined dramatically in quality over the years. As an intern, pricey shoes would be out of place. Get Rockports. Most people don't know an Alden from a Bostonian anyways.

3. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

AEs are an overrated shoe and have declined dramatically in quality over the years. As an intern, pricey shoes would be out of place. Get Rockports. Most people don't know an Alden from a Bostonian anyways.

I'm waiting for the punchline....

4. Taylormade

Taylormade Active Member

AEs are an overrated shoe and have declined dramatically in quality over the years. As an intern, pricey shoes would be out of place. Get Rockports. Most people don't know an Alden from a Bostonian anyways.

I'm waiting for the flaming to start...[​IMG]

5. johnnyblazini

johnnyblazini Senior member

I'm waiting for the flaming to start...[​IMG]

[​IMG] Lets get it on...

6. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Your law firm has an intern serving subpoenas? Strange. If I had to walk all around town for my job, I would seriously get one of those sneaker/dress shoe hybrids.

Something like this from AE:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

[​IMG]

Tell me they are at least paying you to serve these subpoenas? I love how firms in the city think it is ok to not pay interns, but bill for their work. Ha.

As per the shoes et al, I have never seen anything like that odoreater on anyone here. I don't know that I could wear those, walking or not.

For what it is worth, Manhattan at its widest point is 2.3 miles wide and approximately 20 north/south blocks = 1 mile. To get more than 5 miles in in one day while working is quite a feat.

8. AnGeLiCbOrIs

Yup. It's a paid internship after my first year at Hofstra Law. Help is a little short so some days I'll sit at a desk and write memos and other days I'll walk around the city going to court or serving documents.

Hopefully the Gaetans will be perfect.

9. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

[​IMG]

Tell me they are at least paying you to serve these subpoenas? I love how firms in the city think it is ok to not pay interns, but bill for their work. Ha.

As per the shoes et al, I have never seen anything like that odoreater on anyone here. I don't know that I could wear those, walking or not.

For what it is worth, Manhattan at its widest point is 2.3 miles wide and approximately 20 north/south blocks = 1 mile. To get more than 5 miles in in one day while working is quite a feat.

I wouldn't wear them in the office, but if my job was to walk around serving subpoenas, that's what I would go with. When you're on your feet walking all day, leather soled shoes can go to hell - you have to consider your health and well-being above all els (IMO).

Also, good thing you're getting paid. It would be seriously messed up if a law firm had an intern who was working for free serving subpoenas.

10. username79

username79 Senior member

[​IMG]

Hideous. You could buy the same thing at Sketchers for less.

11. AnGeLiCbOrIs

I tried them on in Saks before buying on ebay. They are nicer in person and the quality makes them worth the price of 8 pairs of Sketchers.

12. atroopan

atroopan Senior member

Why are they hideous ?? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but comfort reigns supreme. I stand by my assertion that mephistos are more likely to be comfortable than the shoes usually reccomended on this forum. Ever wonder why people who walk around ALOT tend to go for Danskos, Birkenstocks, Eccos, & Mephistos as opposed to a leather soled AE. I am not one to speak on the beauty of an A/E over one of the above 'comfort' brands, but I seriously doubt the OP is dressed head to toe in Brioni while delivering these subpoenas - I don't think the Gatens are detracting from his overall look. And again - the pictures of mephistos on the internet always seem to make the shoes look much more clunkier than they really are.

Hope you like the new shoes Angel and they will serve their intended purpose. Just please remove the ridiculous mephisto tag on the sides of the shoes (it can be done) - that really is hideous.

troop
    [​IMG]

13. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Why are they hideous ?? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but comfort reigns supreme. I stand by my assertion that mephistos are more likely to be comfortable than the shoes usually reccomended on this forum. Ever wonder why people who walk around ALOT tend to go for Danskos, Birkenstocks, Eccos, & Mephistos as opposed to a leather soled AE. I am not one to speak on the beauty of an A/E over one of the above 'comfort' brands, but I seriously doubt the OP is dressed head to toe in Brioni while delivering these subpoenas - I don't think the Gatens are detracting from his overall look. And again - the pictures of mephistos on the internet always seem to make the shoes look much more clunkier than they really are.

Hope you like the new shoes Angel and they will serve their intended purpose. Just please remove the ridiculous mephisto tag on the sides of the shoes (it can be done) - that really is hideous.

troop
    [​IMG]

I am perfectly comfortable walking many miles a day in leather-soled shoes, though I don't do it every day. If I had a long day of walking ahead of me in NYC, I would always choose leather soled dress shoes over sneakers. I use hiking boots when I want the better grip rubber soles provide on dirt or snow or for weather resistance, but comfort is a function of fit and support, not cushioning.

14. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

Paul Smiths are very comfortable, and edgier than your average shoe.

15. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I am perfectly comfortable walking many miles a day in leather-soled shoes, though I don't do it every day. If I had a long day of walking ahead of me in NYC, I would always choose leather soled dress shoes over sneakers. I use hiking boots when I want the better grip rubber soles provide on dirt or snow or for weather resistance, but comfort is a function of fit and support, not cushioning.

Not at all true. See my post above. Cushion absorbs the impact. This really isn't too mysterious.