• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Horsehide Jacket - how do I look after it?

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently bought an Aero Veste Des Rallye Front Quarter Horsehide jacket (used) and I'm really happy with it. It's nicely worn in an has great character but I'd like to look after it properly. I've read a lot about FQHH and many people say "just wear it". I will of course do this but does Horsehide benefit from treatment? I have some leather conditioner (Church's), some RM Williams saddle dressing and some Filson Boot Oil - are any of these useful or should I be looking for something else?

The jacket is awesome BTW - it weighs a ton and feels like it will stop a bullet. The leather looks fantastic (IMO) - I can take some pics later in the week if anyone's interested?

Cheers,

TB

(Cross posted at AAAC)

sammy

Reaction score
I have a couple of horsehide jackets and haven't done a darn thing to them. Just wear it and forget it. Post some pics when you get a chance.

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It looks like the previous owner has done just that (just worn it). I'm having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that a natural material doesn't require any kind of care regime but I'm new to HH so I guess I'll just have to get used to it!

Cheers,

TB

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You probably can throw some leather conditioner like lexol on it and only expect small amounts of the stuff to soak in, might help evening out minor abrasions. Then common sense things like wiping down if it gets overly dirty. Airing it out well if it gets caught in a good bit of rain. Spot clean dirty/ soiled lining if its cotton, ect. Really not much though.
smile.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Get some of the Vanson Leather Balm. It's a liquidy cream stuff in a bottle and is probably pretty similar to Lexol except it's meant for outerwear garments. You sponge it on, let it soak for a bit and buff it off with a dry cloth. I've used it on a bunch of leather and it seems to be a good treatment. Won't make it too shiny or soggy or anything but keeps it from drying out and cracking etc.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
^ Agreed, I've used Vanson leather balm on most everything I have ... my Vanson dealer even uses it on his leather car seats.

Lear

Reaction score
This whole thread really belongs in 'Streetwear and Denim', but here goes...

I recently ordered an Aero, Veste de Rallye, FQHH in cordovan colour. Should be with me in the next few weeks. It took me a VERY long time to discover all the options and customizations that are available on Aero jackets.

The best info on Aero products has to be over at http://www.thefedoralounge.com (click on the 'Outerwear' link and you'll have enough posts to keep you reading for an hour or so) and http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...=6&uid=142228& Don't forget the main Aero site as well http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com

My advice to anyone, would be to post details of your order on TFL and ask for suggestions on how to improve on it. This will save you countless emails to Aero, once you suddenly discover a new tweak that isn't made obvious.

Here's a 'Veste de Rallye' in brown colour http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/6477441

Enjoy your jacket. Can't wait for mine to arrive
bounce2.gif

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Thanks very much all.

Lear, I spent a lot of time on those fora looking at the options - I read all your posts too.

I emailed Aero yesterday asking them the same question and when I got home from work today they had sent me two bottles of Aero leather conditioner
smile.gif

I'll give this a go and if I'm not happy I'll give the Vanson a try.

I'll get some pics up in the next couple of days.

Cheers,

TB

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Treated it with the Aero conditioner last night and these pics are from this morning. I'm normally a 44R in suits and I'm 6ft tall. This jacket is a 42 with wool lining but fits pretty well. I'd perhaps like it to be an inch or so longer (wouldn't we all) but other than that I like it a lot. If the wool turns out to be too warm, Aero will re-line it in cotton drill for £50.

Even though it's probably ten years old, it's stiffer than my nephew at a Miley Cyrus concert.

aero-5.jpg

aero-4.jpg

aero-3.jpg

aero-2.jpg

Aero1.jpg

Cheers,

TB

Lear

Reaction score
Beautiful jacket Tidybeard. Now no doubt in my mind that I made the right choice. However, you've gone a size down from your jacket size. I'm a 48 Long in suit jackets, so hope the 48 (+ 1 inch length added to body & arms) won't be hanging off my shoulders when it arrives.

I'm not keen on the flight or biker jackets, but that Rallye jacket you have looks smashing! Love the colour by the way; is it brown or cordovan?

Thanks for posting the pics
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I'm preparing to capture the moment my 'Veste de Rallye' escapes from the box and breathes its first breath. It'll all be there; the joy, the tears, the obsession, and of course the call to the psychiatrist
crazy.gif

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Thanks, it's the standard brown. I sized down more by accident than anything as the jacket was used. I got the measurements from the seller and took a gamble but I knew I'd never be wearing more than a shirt under it. It is a little snug in one or two places but I could do with losing a few pounds and this will help to encourage me
smile.gif

Conventional wisdom is to order your suit size so I'm sure you'll be fine. Please do post pics when it arrives, I can't imagine what it must be like to wait weeks - mine took three days and I was looking out of the window waiting for the postman for most of that
laugh.gif

I'm going to the Aero factory next week to drop it off for a new lining, they reckon it will take a week to ten days (I'm on holiday for that long so it should be ready when I get back). I'll have a good look round and report back (if you want to PM me your name I'll see if I can get you an update on yours - up to you).

Cheers,

TB

Lear

Reaction score
Tidybeard, it looks like it's a good fit as is. Is the colour brown or cordovan?

Yes of course I'll post pics. I was only made aware of Aero products from the Web. It's the least I can do after all the kindly advice/tips posted by others on SF & TFL.

I'd always assumed that the best leather jackets were ONLY to be found in the USA. It's nice to know that for once I'm in the right country (island). So, for every British bloke dreaming of a Pendleton shirt from Oregon (me); there's an American guy lusting over an Aero jacket from Scotland.

I have the 4 Mega-pixel camera on standby, and won't be afraid to use it. It'll be my first pic posting anywhere.

Extremely kind offer of help there. However, upon the initial order we agreed that it would be with me by 4th October at the latest. They'll have to post it out in the next 14 days anyway, so no sweat there. Amanda has been such a pleasure to deal with that I don't want to hassle her any more. Thanks again anyway, very considerate of you
fistbump.gif

You've already considered your wool/alpaca lining to be too warm? With the Scottish winter approaching you folk up there must be immune to the cold.

Without wishing to hijack your 'How do I look after it?' thread:

I went to catch a friend in a play last night. As good as she was, I have to say that I found myself drifting halfway through. Before I knew it, I was trying to imagine how the cordovan 'Veste de Rallye' would look. Towards the end of the play, six scantily clad (and VERY sexy) looking girls came on in the flimsiest of lingerie. It then dawned upon me that I was not lusting over that which stood before me, but over a few square feet of heavy horse-hide. Perhaps I've stumbled upon a new fetish
tounge.gif

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Mine is the standard brown. I have found the jacket pretty warm with the wool lining and to be honest I don't need the coat to fight off the cold (I'm in Cheshire but I'm not outside in the cold very often - if I am I'm usually wearing my wool Filson or a heavy overcoat). Plus, the lining has seen better days and I just feel better with a new one in there (my first second hand coat).

I'm heading for Edinburgh on a business trip on Thursday so I thought I'd stop in on the way. Gives me a chance to have a nose around the factory shop, drop my jacket off for the lining and then go on holiday. By the time I get back, it should be done.

Edit - there are worse fetishes to have!

well-kept

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I found an unworn, 1940s, front quarter horsehide A2. It was as stiff as plywood. I used nothing on it and wore it daily through an entire winter before it began to soften up and flex in the right places. I've still used no conditioner, in spite of its 70 year age. A nice find. I wish you great luck with yours too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads