• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE sizing help!!!

CDN1989

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a pair of used AE on ebay and need some sizing help. I wear a 12 in regular shoes, 11 in chucks, and my feet are narrow up arent overly wide. Generally speaking what size should I be looking at for AE. I have read that its best too go in and try some on, however this isnt an option for me.

Thanks,

CDN1989

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Petrvs
Go into an AE or BB and have the salesmen measure you instead of being a horse's arse and trying to guess. I bet that you don't have the slightest idea what size you wear. And stop buying junk off ebay. If you can't afford to just go into AE and buy a pair of shoes then you're not in that class and should go to target.

I would love to go into AE and get an accurate fit, clearly It would be better then guessing, but I mentioned this isnt an option, that is why I gave some of my sizes and a general idea of my foot, I'm sure I'm a D in width, but should I size down to 11, 11.5 or stay at 12?

How is it junk off ebay, its the same product bought in stores. I'm business student and dont have the money to be in the "class" to buy a pair in store (way to be a ******* dick) and there are some nice option's online that are in my price range. Let me guess your the kind of guy who wears high end stuff just to say you wear high end stuff, so people "look up to you", probably made fun of in highschool? Thanks for the help douche...

CDN1989

Reaction score
This also might help, I'm currently looking at the Clifton, Park Ave, and Weybridge models...

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, going into the shop is the best option. I bought a pair of Ferragamos recently which were definitely in my size. However, the last of the shoe didn't fit me as well as my AE Cliftons did. Personally, it's hard to explain but it's tough to judge if you don't know what last fits you correctly.

CDN1989

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBear
To be honest, going into the shop is the best option. I bought a pair of Ferragamos recently which were definitely in my size. However, the last of the shoe didn't fit me as well as my AE Cliftons did. Personally, it's hard to explain but it's tough to judge if you don't know what last fits you correctly.

Damn, so there is no real way of telling what will fit me? I dont mind if one last fits me better than an other, as long as they fit, I guess im not after a perfect fit, just something that fits and is comfortable. I've found 3 pairs of shoes I really like that are 11.5 and a medium width, not sure about lasts, so I'm willing to go for a shoe that fits my foots, but its the "perfect fit", something I dont think I have ever had haha. What stores sell AE in Canada, maybe ill see if any have them, although the shoes I'm looking at appear to be discontinued.

classicusa

Reaction score
1st, ignore some of the rudeness recently displayed here, and focus on your own issue. On the AE website, there is a section at the bottom about understanding lasts. Gives you some idea of which are fuller, which are narrower. I'm between a D and E width, and I've found the Park Aves, even in E width, to be uncomfortably snug. On the other hand, I've found Westchesters in E width to be a little too roomy. MacNeils are reportedly a little fuller, and at AE's suggestion, I've ordered those in D width.

I am sure you can arrive at a reasonable decision on sizing. It looks like if you are buying them used, you don't have a lot of financial downside if you make a mistake. And you can always just resell them if it is that bad.

New, you have more options in terms of returns for proper fit. Discuss your needs with the etailer before you agree to purchase. Ultimately, your vendor wants you to be a happy buyer so you come back and buy from them again.

Jazzop

Reaction score
I bit the bullet and grabbed some vintage AE shoes that were new-old stock. I wear a 12C in general, and these were 12B. They were "perfectly" too snug-- in other words, I really needed a 12C. But this told me that AE sizing is generally spot-on and shouldn't require jumping up or down a size to compensate.

bluesdance

Reaction score
Use the AE last chart as a guide, and then Zappos or Endless as your personal shoe size consultants. Also if you live in any kind of a city there is probably one or more shoestores nearby that stock AEs. For example, there are at least two such venues in Pittsburgh. Look around.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads