• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE shoes Colton vs Park Ave

AJB

Reaction score
Looking to get my first pair of Allen Edmonds and I am choosing b/w Colton and the Park Ave. Park Ave is classic but seems to be everywhere. Needed a new black shoe for interviewing. The Colton look like they can be had cheaper since they are discontinued - any thoughts / preferences?

Also if anyone had any AES in 11.5 d that are in good condition let me know/ pm me

Thnx
AJB

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
either is fine for interviewing the USA. The park avenues are slightly better, but irrelevantly so. the colton's are slightly more flexible, but irrelevantly so.

i would just go with whichever fits better, as they're on different lasts.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
NoVaguy, what makes you say the Coltons are more flexible? I'd wear plain black captoe bals anywhere I'd wear a suit.

I used more flexible because you can wear colton's without a jacket (dress trousers and a shirt). black captoes generally should be reserved for suits, and at least a jacket and trousers. kind of looks off otherwise.

but then, I don't wear black captoes. Just not a big fan of them.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
I used more flexible because you can wear colton's without a jacket (dress trousers and a shirt). black captoes generally should be reserved for suits, and at least a jacket and trousers. kind of looks off otherwise.

but then, I don't wear black captoes. Just not a big fan of them.

Oh, I see what you mean, and I certainly agree. I was thinking solely in terms of interviewing/suitwearing. Your point about more casual wear is a good one.

jmatt

Reaction score
The Park Avenue is on sale at Nordstrom's right now for $199. Are you getting the Colton cheaper than that? Also, the Park Avenue last is slightly longer than the Colton, given equal sizing. The difference is not much though. I own 2 Coltons and 1 Park Avenue. All in the same size.

AJB

Reaction score
they had them at syms for $115 but they were an 11 and a little tight ( i am 11.5) but i was gonna check a different location. The park aves i saw for $200.

Is it worth the tight fit for the price?

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get both, while they're still made in the good ole US of A.

(I prefer Park Aves, but only just)

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AJB
they had them at syms for $115 but they were an 11 and a little tight ( i am 11.5) but i was gonna check a different location. The park aves i saw for $200.

Is it worth the tight fit for the price?

I don't recommend ever paying that much for shoes that don't fit well, especially ones that are too tight. You should expect to have these shoes for years, so spend a little more money to get the best fit.

CaptChaos

Reaction score
The Coltons are available at Sierra Trading Post for $190 and you can use one of the 20% off coupons floating around. STP also has their 20 cent shipping promo going on right now.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few thoughts here: For interviews in a business suit, the Park Avenue is unquestionably superior. If wearing a sport coat and tie is appropriate interview attire for the position you are seeking, the Colton would be more compatible. However, as my sartorial sensibilities have become more refined, I really see little place for a black bucher like the Colton. I have the Lexington (nearly identical to the Colton) in black, but I almost have to contrive compatible outfits to get some use out of them. If you fancy the Colton, the price of closeout seconds in this style should drop by $40 sometime in the immediate future. I am planning to get the Colton in chestnut when this occurs.

wvuguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
A few thoughts here: For interviews in a business suit, the Park Avenue is unquestionably superior. If wearing a sport coat and tie is appropriate interview attire for the position you are seeking, the Colton would be more compatible. However, as my sartorial sensibilities have become more refined, I really see little place for a black bucher like the Colton. I have the Lexington (nearly identical to the Colton) in black, but I almost have to contrive compatible outfits to get some use out of them. If you fancy the Colton, the price of closeout seconds in this style should drop by $40 sometime in the immediate future. I am planning to get the Colton in chestnut when this occurs.

As one with interest in the Colton specifically, where might one FIRST expect to see the Colton in closeout.....at their Factory Stores, or perhaps online merchants like STP ?? Come to think of it, can you tell me if the typical AE retail store (first quality, not outlet) carries closeout models ???

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel

really? my black AE lexingtons are my go-to dress shoes. my black wyngates (i.e., captoe with discrete perforations on the cap, similar to the bryon) have never been worn. i've never replaced my last cap-toe (a pair of 10 year old dexters). (and i do own a substantial number of AE's, although not as many as you). for fancy functions (weddings, etc), i like to go with c&j weymouths.

i guess it really does depend on preferences.

AJB

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback-
They dont have the coltons in my size on STP - anyone reccomend other black AE's that they have in stock? - I dont want to spend more then ~$170?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Coltons are available now at Century 21 in New York City for 169. I saw them there today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads