• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Shoe Recommendations Please!

scholl43

Reaction score
I've been reading up on a number of blogs to expand my professional wardrobe as I transition from a very informal work environment to grad school. While grad school won't require too many formal occasions, I will be interviewing for a summer and a longer term internship. I will likely have to wear a full suit 4 days per week in my second year of the program and hope to transition to a very professional work environment.

I have a relatively limited budget and am obviously trying to minimize my student loans, but with that said, I see this move as a bit of an investment. I'm generally pretty thrifty and I'm going on a hunt this weekend to see if I can strike gold, but that's unlikely. In terms of my purchasing philosophy, if I can, I choose the $45 stainless steel garlic press that's indestructible rather than the $8 one that's hard to operate, clean, and will break within two years. I want to take the same approach with shoes, which is what makes Cordovan so attractive to me.

I'd like some advice on Allan Edmonds shoes since they're currently on sale at Nordstrom's (and AE stores will match). In terms of my style, I have slim fitting suits (black, black/pinstripe, grey, navy, and two orphaned jackets) and wear fitted button downs, but I'm not very attached to conventions and tradition (see orphaned jackets). To take that a step further into the style forum cringe-inducing, I am from the Midwest where we mostly have a different or lack of style compared to the coasts. I currently have a pair of Florsheim Wrapid Bike Toe in brown and Ecco New Jersey Slip on in black. Considering the potential for bad weather/salt damage, these could transition into my more rugged shoes based on my AE choices.

I've outlined two price tiers below. I'm obviously more comfortable with cheaper, but I see the great value in Cordovan's longevity so I'm really torn. I'm usually a pretty good deal hunter, but grad school will leave no time for that so I'm pretty much stuck with buying new within the next week to get a great deal. Please persuade me one way or another.

Tier 1
Option 1:
Park Avenue Cordovan $595 ($450 factory 2nd)
Shoe tree (2) $40
Care products: $35
Total: $525-$670

Option 2:
Park Avenue Black $229
Strand Walnut $229
Shoe tree (2) $40
Care Kit $95
Total: $593

Tier 2
Option 3:
Park Avenue Black - $229
Strand Walnut - $229
La Salle Dark Brown or Chili - $229
Shoe tree (3) $65
Care Kit: $95
Total: $847

Option 4:
Park Avenue Cordovan $595 ($450 factory 2nd)
Strand Walnut or La Salle Dk Br/Chili $229
Shoe tree (2): $40
Care Kit: $95
Total: $814-$959

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads