• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Resole/Reheel? Pics Added

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got some drydens on ebay. Uppers are in GREAT shape.
Edge is chipped on one and the heel is visibly separating on the other.

Should I ask for a refund or just re do them? How much can I expect to pay? The are marked with a "W" I assume that means something bad. LOL

img20110121192728.jpg

Looking at the bad heel without touching it

img20110121192744.jpg

Pulling on the same bad heel pretty hard.

img20110121192821.jpg

Looking at the "chip" on the other shoe. It's right where the stitching ends.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think AE charges about $90 for refurbishing. I have a pair in 9.5 D in brandy that are in near perfect shape (worn 5-6 times max) you can have for $90 shipped CONUS.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might be wrong, but I thought the W was the mark for an irregular?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe just a repair is needed rather than a redo?

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, I've had enough bad experiences on ebay that I try to buy shoes new or gently used from SF members.

From my experience, some of the sellers on ebay sell run down shoes like that and hide the damaged areas, to the point that it's not really worth the trouble.

blackboard_knowledge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sportin_life
Yea, I've had enough bad experiences on ebay that I try to buy shoes new or gently used from SF members.

From my experience, some of the sellers on ebay sell run down shoes like that and hide the damaged areas, to the point that it's not really worth the trouble.

I would agree with this review. The rubber portion looks good, but I suspect that it has been replaced at least once.

For the price of a full AE refurbishment, you should just put that money aside for a new pair of AE's either at Nordstroms annual men's sale or via AE's after Christmas web sale.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackboard_knowledge
I would agree with this review. The rubber portion looks good, but I suspect that it has been replaced at least once.

For the price of a full AE refurbishment, you should just put that money aside for a new pair of AE's either at Nordstroms annual men's sale or via AE's after Christmas web sale.

Exactly. If I pay 100 for the ebay shoes, 100 for refurb I might as well buy new 2nds directly from AE. I've already sent an email requesting a refund.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with these shoes. Just wear them.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my understanding, the W means the shoe was previously worn and sold without any warranty - and hence, AE will not recraft these shoes.

Chris

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hohneokc
From my understanding, the W means the shoe was previously worn and sold without any warranty - and hence, AE will not recraft these shoes. Chris
Partially correct, "W" means worn, usually store returns that are commonly sold to cobblers/wholesalers/etc. There is no warranty on defective shoes, however, Allen Edmonds will recraft them if you pay them to. That being said, you've got a very easy repair. A cobbler would probably charge you $5 to fix that.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just tried em on...someone had fat ankles. Has anyone tried the vinegar shrinking method?

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I have always wondered if AE would recraft the shoes I get from Nordstrom's Last Chance that have the "plug" in the sole: 2 small holes that they use to mark them.

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
Interesting. I have always wondered if AE would recraft the shoes I get from Nordstrom's Last Chance that have the "plug" in the sole: 2 small holes that they use to mark them.

Yes, they will (if you pay). The drill holes are to prevent you from returning them to the main store for a full-price credit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads