• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

AE Resole/Reheel? Pics Added

Rugger

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Messages
773
Reaction score
22
Got some drydens on ebay. Uppers are in GREAT shape.
Edge is chipped on one and the heel is visibly separating on the other.

Should I ask for a refund or just re do them? How much can I expect to pay? The are marked with a "W" I assume that means something bad. LOL


Looking at the bad heel without touching it


Pulling on the same bad heel pretty hard.


Looking at the "chip" on the other shoe. It's right where the stitching ends.
 

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2008
Messages
4,310
Reaction score
82
I think AE charges about $90 for refurbishing. I have a pair in 9.5 D in brandy that are in near perfect shape (worn 5-6 times max) you can have for $90 shipped CONUS.
 

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
1,126
Reaction score
15
I might be wrong, but I thought the W was the mark for an irregular?
 

Rugger

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Messages
773
Reaction score
22
Maybe just a repair is needed rather than a redo?
 

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
1,126
Reaction score
15
Yea, I've had enough bad experiences on ebay that I try to buy shoes new or gently used from SF members.

From my experience, some of the sellers on ebay sell run down shoes like that and hide the damaged areas, to the point that it's not really worth the trouble.
 

blackboard_knowledge

Senior Member
Joined
May 13, 2010
Messages
254
Reaction score
19
Originally Posted by sportin_life
Yea, I've had enough bad experiences on ebay that I try to buy shoes new or gently used from SF members.

From my experience, some of the sellers on ebay sell run down shoes like that and hide the damaged areas, to the point that it's not really worth the trouble.


I would agree with this review. The rubber portion looks good, but I suspect that it has been replaced at least once.

For the price of a full AE refurbishment, you should just put that money aside for a new pair of AE's either at Nordstroms annual men's sale or via AE's after Christmas web sale.
 

Rugger

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Messages
773
Reaction score
22
Originally Posted by blackboard_knowledge
I would agree with this review. The rubber portion looks good, but I suspect that it has been replaced at least once.

For the price of a full AE refurbishment, you should just put that money aside for a new pair of AE's either at Nordstroms annual men's sale or via AE's after Christmas web sale.


Exactly. If I pay 100 for the ebay shoes, 100 for refurb I might as well buy new 2nds directly from AE. I've already sent an email requesting a refund.
 

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2009
Messages
6,514
Reaction score
512
There's nothing wrong with these shoes. Just wear them.
 

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 20, 2010
Messages
1,026
Reaction score
548
From my understanding, the W means the shoe was previously worn and sold without any warranty - and hence, AE will not recraft these shoes.

Chris
 

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2007
Messages
3,294
Reaction score
9
Originally Posted by hohneokc
From my understanding, the W means the shoe was previously worn and sold without any warranty - and hence, AE will not recraft these shoes. Chris
Partially correct, "W" means worn, usually store returns that are commonly sold to cobblers/wholesalers/etc. There is no warranty on defective shoes, however, Allen Edmonds will recraft them if you pay them to. That being said, you've got a very easy repair. A cobbler would probably charge you $5 to fix that.
 

Rugger

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Messages
773
Reaction score
22
Just tried em on...someone had fat ankles. Has anyone tried the vinegar shrinking method?
 

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2006
Messages
1,050
Reaction score
0
Interesting. I have always wondered if AE would recraft the shoes I get from Nordstrom's Last Chance that have the "plug" in the sole: 2 small holes that they use to mark them.
 

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2007
Messages
3,294
Reaction score
9
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
Interesting. I have always wondered if AE would recraft the shoes I get from Nordstrom's Last Chance that have the "plug" in the sole: 2 small holes that they use to mark them.

Yes, they will (if you pay). The drill holes are to prevent you from returning them to the main store for a full-price credit.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 9 3.9%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 36 15.5%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 70 30.2%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 46 19.8%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 17 7.3%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 15 6.5%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 9 3.9%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 100+

    Votes: 13 5.6%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,322
Messages
9,196,987
Members
193,155
Latest member
ntt

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top