• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE pricing

maufic

Reaction score
I recently purchased a couple of pairs of AE's (my first) and I have to say I am very happy with both the styling and fit. I noticed on amazon that the Hale and the Soho can be had for roughly $180 and $214 respectively, two shoes that I think would work well for use as work dress shoes. My question is, is it common to find these shoes at these prices? I'm wondering if I should buy another pair now or will I be able to find them at the same price, say a year down the road?

Lucky7

Reaction score
From my experience, you can find these shoes at discounts frequently. Someone on here always has a PSA posted, if there isn't one, just ask!

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought 5 pairs of AEs in some of the most elegant styles for under $175 each

bc78

Reaction score
You can get them pretty heavily discounted. I have 5 pairs of AE shoes. 3 of them I got for under 100, one for under 200, and one for around 260 but I needed those for a last minute job interview.

Davelli0331

Reaction score
I just got the Soho's last Friday from Amazon. I paid $280 for mine, so you're at least getting a better deal than I did. Mine were 8Ds, which I mention because it seems like some sizes go for cheaper.

I'm about to pull the trigger on some AE Drydens on Amazon, though these are through the Grapevinehill storefront, for $179. I would snatch them up while they're cheap, though I honestly don't know if $179 is the cheapest they can be had. A quick google search shows them cheapest at $149, but not for my size.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They get cheap when they are discontinuing a style. If you are in love with a particular new style & have a common size, you may never find them on discount.

Also note that a lot of discounted AEs are seconds. There can be serious defects with these, though it seems that people who wear a lot of seconds are often happy & vocal about their perfection.

Davelli0331

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Also note that a lot of discounted AEs are seconds. There can be serious defects with these, though it seems that people who wear a lot of seconds are often happy & vocal about their perfection.

I had not heard or seen this around here. How serious are the defects on the seconds? Now I'm having second thoughts about the Drydens...
eh.gif

phillyesq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davelli0331
I just got the Soho's last Friday from Amazon. I paid $280 for mine, so you're at least getting a better deal than I did. Mine were 8Ds, which I mention because it seems like some sizes go for cheaper.

I'm about to pull the trigger on some AE Drydens on Amazon, though these are through the Grapevinehill storefront, for $179. I would snatch them up while they're cheap, though I honestly don't know if $179 is the cheapest they can be had. A quick google search shows them cheapest at $149, but not for my size.

I'm an 8D as well, and I've had a hard time finding anything I'd want for much of a discount. Shoebuy.com usually has a 20% discount, which would bring most of their shoes down to $265 or so, but I haven't had a lot of lock.

Ebay seems to always have the Burton and a few other styles, but for things like Park Avenues, some of the wingtips and other more standard shoes that they offer, I haven't had a ton of luck finding new shoes that I'm interested in with good discounts.

minnesotamoon

Reaction score
I bought my Evanston's brand new for $105 at a local mens clothing store that was marking down most everything in the store for 70% off. I didn't need them but at that price couldn't pass them up.

Davelli0331

Reaction score
Originally Posted by minnesotamoon
I bought my Evanston's brand new for $105 at a local mens clothing store that was marking down most everything in the store for 70% off. I didn't need them but at that price couldn't pass them up.

That's a great price for a beautiful shoe. Wish that I could find deals like that in my local area, but none of my local men's stores carry Allen Edmonds.
plain.gif

maufic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davelli0331

If the Dyrdens are sold by grapevinehill you should check out there website directly. You can get 15% off all there shoes until the end of the month. They currenlty have a pair of brown Drydens in 8D for $152 including the 15% discount.

2Scoops

Reaction score
They probably go on sale once or twice a year. I got my soho's last year around spring/summer. I think I paid $160 or so from amazon.

maufic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey

From what I have been told the seconds only have cosmetic defects, and most of the time the defects are marginal. There should be nothing that affects the durability or comfort of the shoe.

maufic

Reaction score
How about the AE Hale. Is $180 a good price for the Hale or has anyone seen a new pair for less?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads