• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Parliament vs Van Ness vs Lombard

facet

Reaction score
I was looking at getting a new pair of shoes for work (I need something with rubber soles) and had my eye on three but am having trouble deciding between them.

The Parliament in Saddle

The Van Ness in Burgundy

The Lombard in Burgundy

My workplace attire is relatively casual, just a dress shirt and pants. I kind of like them all for different reasons but can only afford one at the time. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited:

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on what your other shoes are, and which of these three would be least like your other pairs.

I just bought a pair of Lombards, and as bluchers they're a bit more casual than the closed laced Parliaments and Van Nesses. If you wanted something you could dress up and wear with a suit, the Van Ness is a good choice. I do like my Lombards so far.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Parliament and Lombard - I do not have the Van Ness.

If you are wanting a wingtip - easy choice, but you knew that.

I really like both shoes I have and I like the looks of the Van Ness. The Lombard is on a last that is slightly more narrow than the Parliament. I believe the Van Ness is on the same last as the Lombard. So if your feet don't like the longer/narrower lasts, that might not be best for you. If you have anything on the Allen Edmonds 5 last, the Lombard and Van Ness will be similar in fit.

The Parliament is a much more comfortable shoe. It has the orthotic insert that really cushions your feet well. It also has a bit more room in the toe box area. So as far as comfort, the Parliament wins hands down.

As far as style, I really like my Lombards. The blucher wingtip is a great combination in my opinion. The balmoral cap toe is also a nice combination. Between the Van Ness and Parliament, appearances only, I prefer the perfing on the toe of the Parliament.

Hopefully this information will help you make a good decision. If you can try them all on, I would recommend doing that and see which shoe is more comfortable.

Chris

Unregistered

Reaction score
I have a pair of Van Ness and Fifth Avenues. I'm an 8D in the FA and 8E in the VN.

I find the VN more versatile - then again, I don't really wear jeans.

But for business use, I'd say the VN would be the best choice, followed closely by the Parliament. I do like the Lombards, but derby shoes shouldn't be worn with suits should the need ever arise.

Last edited:

facet

Reaction score
I should have probably included more information in my original post. I currently have the PA's in merlot and Augusta; but I can't wear those to work because of the leather soles (the cause too much slipping which prevents me from doing my job and, for some reason, I'm just not keen on the idea of topys). So, right now, I'm just wearing a cheap pair of black cap toes and brown square toes to work (I know, this was before I came on style forum, Rome wasn't built in a day).

So, as I mentioned, I like the different shoes for different reasons. The Lombards, because I like the look of it and the idea of a wingtip really intrigues me since it would be good to get something different; but it is a blucher which is, apparently, not ideal for suits if I wish to go that route. The Van Ness, because I happen to like cap toes and it's quite versatile; but it's quite similar to my PA's. The Parliatment, because it's probably the most comfortable, and it's similar to the Strand, which I've always liked. And it's the cheapest by a bit.

Decisions. At this point, I think I'm leaning towards either the Parliament or Lombard, I may end up having to flip a coin. Thanks for the responses so far; anymore are, of course, welcome.

Last edited:

facet

Reaction score
So I ended up going with the Parliaments (they were only $145, all told) and have been very happy with the purchase so far. They are a very comfortable shoe, which was important for me as I can sometimes be on my feet quite a bit and I really like the look of them with the broguing and perforations. Thanks again for all the feedback and advice.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good choice - I have that exact shoe and really like it. They look good with those slacks also.

Chris

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good choice - I have that exact shoe and really like it. They look good with those slacks also.

Chris

How do you think the black parliments will look with charcoal suit?

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I ended up going with the Parliaments (they were only $145, all told) and have been very happy with the purchase so far. They are a very comfortable shoe, which was important for me as I can sometimes be on my feet quite a bit and I really like the look of them with the broguing and perforations. Thanks again for all the feedback and advice.

Where did you get these for $145?

facet

Reaction score

Where did you get these for $145?

I bought mine off of Amazon. I just double checked and they're now only $120; but the size selection has reduced quite a bit, although they still have a fair selection in black.

In regards to your other question, I think they would look just fine with a charcoal suit.

Edit:

Chris

Thanks very much. :)

Last edited:

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone critique the socks? I thought you usually wear the same colour socks as your pants. Unless you fancy yourself really stylish and go with some strange combinations.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you recraft parliments or any of these shoes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads